Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Forbidden Fortress:
10-18-2016, 04:46 PM
Forbidden Fortress:
With the last of the original KS stuff off to manufacturing, they're starting a new Brimstone kickstarter on October 31st. From their recent KS update:

"As mentioned in the last Update, when members of the Flying Frog team completed their Shadows of Brimstone KS work, they began rolling onto the next project… Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress! By having this next project lined up, it meant that we could avoid down time for artists and sculptors between projects. In this way, doing a third Core Set for Shadows of Brimstone was a natural choice as it had all of the framework and game engine from the previous two Core Sets, but with some new mechanics, all new content, and a very cool and different theme, starting the Heroes in Feudal Japan.

We learned a lot from our first Kickstarter campaign, and while it was challenging, we are proud of the epic game line that was created. Not to mention the amazing community that came out of the Kickstarter and continues today. All of our experiences, lessons learned, and pipelines established have led to our new Kickstarter project for the next chapter in the world of Shadows of Brimstone.

When we decided to do a third Core Set for Shadows of Brimstone, we wanted it to bring something new to the table, beyond simply new content. There have always been strong ties between Feudal Japan and the American Old West, so it seemed like a great way to expand what the world of Shadows of Brimstone is. Thus was born Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress!

As a third Core Set for Shadows of Brimstone, Forbidden Fortress can either be played on its own, as a stand-alone game, or it can be used in combination with any and all of the other Shadows of Brimstone products! It is fully compatible, in every way!

Forbidden Fortress also adds a brand new OtherWorld on the back side of the Map Tiles… The Belly of the Beast! Backers from the original Brimstone Kickstarter may recognize this as an OtherWorld Stretch Goal that was not unlocked during the original campaign. When we started formalizing what would be in Forbidden Fortress, the idea of adding the Belly of the Beast as the OtherWorld on the back side of the tiles was a perfect fit! What could be more in keeping with the Japanese theme than allowing the Heroes to find their way through a portal that leads inside of an unspeakably massive creature; battling all sorts of living organs and parasites, and fighting off the Flesh Mites, Acid Blobs, and Parasitic Tentacles that inhabit this ‘living’ world.

Many of the new Enemies for Forbidden Fortress are inspired by traditional Japanese myth and legend, but with a Shadows of Brimstone feel to them. Creatures take the form of terrifying ghosts and Demons to make manifest the supernatural horrors of Feudal Japan.

But there are courageous Heroes to fight back this new evil that has invaded their world! The stalwart Samurai Warrior, using his mastery of the Katana and his code of honor to defeat his foes in combat, the nimble and deadly ninja Assassin, using stealth and speed as weapons, the Traveling Monk, a member of an ancient Yamabushi order devoted to fighting supernatural creatures that threaten our world, and the powerful and mystic Sorceress, who wields Elemental Magik to crush her enemies.

For new players, Forbidden Fortress will make a great introduction to the world of Shadows of Brimstone, and for veteran players, it can easily be treated as two brand new OtherWorlds, with a new set of Heroes and Enemies to add to your games. It also gives you the new option of starting your Heroes in Feudal Japan or the Old West, or mixing your Hero party for fantastic adventures. The possibilities are endless!

Once again, we would like to thank all of our original Shadows of Brimstone Backers for supporting the project and coming on this adventure with us. If you'd like to saddle up once again for another wild ride in the world of Shadows of Brimstone, the adventures continue in the land of the rising sun!

The Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress Kickstarter launches on October 31st!"

I know not everyone on this board is wholly enthused about SoBs, but man, I'm totally down for this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2016, 07:06 PM
RE: Forbidden Fortress:
You know, I very much hate to come down on the negative side of this, especially since I love Flying Frog....

But they still haven't even shipped all the stuff from the first campaign and they are already expecting us to back a new campaign? Don't get me wrong, I definitely get that launching a new game can be a HUGE undertaking and that KickStarter can be particularly crazy..... BUT it isn't like Flying Frog is an inexperienced game company. They've been doing this stuff for a while.

No, they had no idea just how successful the campaign would be, but they at least should have had some idea of what kind of level of work it would take to produce all that stuff. I'd have been happier with less stuff, but getting it in a more timely manner. So, no offense to Flying Frog, and no offense to anybody who IS excited for the new campaign.... but I will be passing.
10-21-2016, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2016 07:44 PM by Old Dwarf.)
I tend to be with StayPuft on this as I'm still waiting for wave 2 and frankly SoB just has so much already a major expansion
is just a "bridge too far". The Japanese theme just doesn't move me so I'll be passing unless they somehow can offer just
Belly of the Beast as a separate option (which I doubt).

Then again if the cost was reasonable ?.....

But I would much preferred the Froggers had added new stuff for LNoE & ATOE before going full bore into
another KS.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
10-27-2016, 09:32 PM
Understandable, sure, but the thing to keep in mind: everything is off to manufacturing. So they've done everything they can do on the first KS. It's not like they can just fly off to China to help with manufacturing. That means they have to start working on other stuff. It doesn't make sense for them not to be working on the next big project. Thus, the new Kickstarter. That's just the reality of the situation.

Remember, other companies start running the next Kickstarter when the last one hasn't yet shipped. It's pretty standard.

And OD, no worries -- they've announced they're doing something cool for LNoE for the 10-year anniversary.
11-01-2016, 04:49 PM
It's launched! And it's going even bigger than the last one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/103...escription
11-29-2016, 12:31 AM
Well, it's been an interesting ride so far, and we're approaching the 48-hour notice. But there's new stuff for Cynder in there; there are three Otherworlds total (the Fortress, the Belly of the Beast, and now the Forest of the Dead); there's a Trederran Hero bonus class... seriously, even if the Japanese theme doesn't move you, I'd recommend checking it out if you like Shadows of Brimstone.