Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Confession Time...
07-08-2021, 08:41 PM
Confession Time...
I have never played AToE co-op mode. As I think the competitive mode is so solid. Am I missing anything?

Answers below please. I shall bow to your judgement...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2021, 11:50 AM
RE: Confession Time...
Bless me Fath....er my confession is that I've only played the competitive mode & the Co-Op mode Solo
( I posted up a Session Report on each) & didn't really see any difference.

As your playing against the Game in both cases & mainly following the Competitive Rules with just a
few extra rules to allow trading cards & upping the Villains stats at certain points & a Co-OP Mystery
Phase Chart roll +upping the cost of Village Elders .

So I don't think your missing anything beyond playing with someone rather than against. Co-OP
is also a solid game that's 90% the same as Competitive.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
07-09-2021, 02:52 PM
My turn: I've owned AToE for 4 years and I have yet to get it to the table at all Insane19
07-09-2021, 03:39 PM
(07-09-2021 02:52 PM)BigDumbYak Wrote:  My turn: I've owned AToE for 4 years and I have yet to get it to the table at all Insane19

Now that's a confession!

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
07-12-2021, 06:32 PM
(07-09-2021 02:52 PM)BigDumbYak Wrote:  My turn: I've owned AToE for 4 years and I have yet to get it to the table at all Insane19

WOW! You shall be absolved of all sins my son if you get AToE to the table!
07-14-2021, 08:22 AM
GASP

WHAT!?

So for me, the concept of them working together is much more appealing, and it makes the villains significantly stronger, which feels more appropriate too. I don't think there's anything wrong with competitive mode, unlike FanG where the lack of a Villainous Org makes it feel like something is missing, but I do prefer the big bad being BIG and BAD and getting to use the Co-op chart, to increase the number of events that occur every round. It makes things more cinematic, which is what this experience is all about for me.

I used to play Competitive all the time, but once I started playing Co-op I just never really saw a great reason to stop.
07-14-2021, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2021 06:45 PM by samuraitrev.)
I always use the advanced Villain (The red side of the minion chart). Plus, I use the special rule:

Endurance of Evil

'Any time the Villain kills a Town Elder or KO’s a hero, they
gain a permanent +2 Wounds (or +1 Wound per Hero in
the Cooperative Game) as they drain life force. This is in
addition to any other bonus and is triggered even if the
Elder is just removed from the game outright.'

(Special rule introduced in the Something Wicked rulebook.)

The Villain would get pretty tough in co-op mode. Sounds like a challenge! Load the muskets! Sharpen that sabre. Drink some ale and charge into battle!!!!Zombie23