Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Couple quick rules questions
01-21-2014, 10:23 PM
RE: Couple quick rules questions
Well, it's not a matter of right and wrong. It's a matter of discussion - on a discussion board.

As far as I can tell everyone is blindly giving in that you have to sacrifice your move and/or search to build a barricade. I'm simply suggesting that there is another way to interpret the barricade rule. The Special Move Action of the Barricade is not said to be in place of anything, whereas the drawing a Survival Deck card is said to be in place of your Search.

We already know that we can move and/or search and build a barricade at the cost of taking a wound. There is a logic train that suggests if you roll a 4+ you can do this and not take a wound - a reward for the 4+. It would not be out of the question to interpret the rule this way.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Ok so to be clear I can search and take a wound to build ?
It isn't just at the end of a move action.
01-21-2014, 11:42 PM
(01-21-2014 10:23 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Well, it's not a matter of right and wrong. It's a matter of discussion - on a discussion board.

As far as I can tell everyone is blindly giving in that you have to sacrifice your move and/or search to build a barricade. I'm simply suggesting that there is another way to interpret the barricade rule. The Special Move Action of the Barricade is not said to be in place of anything, whereas the drawing a Survival Deck card is said to be in place of your Search.

We already know that we can move and/or search and build a barricade at the cost of taking a wound. There is a logic train that suggests if you roll a 4+ you can do this and not take a wound - a reward for the 4+. It would not be out of the question to interpret the rule this way.

No one is blindly giving in. Its clearly stated in the rule book you get to Move or Search during the Move Action phase. Its also clearly stated that building a barricade is a Special Move Action you get if you roll high enough.

If the rules arent enough to persuade you then try looking at it thematically. A high roll means you have enough stamina to go far OR do extraneous work like building a barricade. If you are busy building a barricade then you dont have time to be searching or moving. All that energy is spent hammering the boards across a window or door. Then after spending all your energy you would feel better if the barricade was reinforced so you exert yourself just a little more than you should and get wounded in the process. For me personally it all fits in very thematically to the game.

ch82:Yes you can search then take a wound to build/reinforce a barricade.
01-22-2014, 03:06 AM
(01-21-2014 11:42 PM)stubobj Wrote:  ...Its clearly stated in the rule book you get to Move or Search during the Move Action phase. Its also clearly stated that building a barricade is a Special Move Action you get if you roll high enough.

That's the automatic mindset that I took also, and the way we've been playing. But when I look at it now it's like I can't ignore that drawing a Survival Deck card is "instead of", while building a Barricade is not. Couple that with being able to move/search and build a barricade by taking a wound, and being able to move/search and take down a reinforcement with a high enough roll and it does not seem to be out of the question to move/search and build a barricade with a high enough roll. I'm just trying to provoke thought here. It may well be barricades are intended to be "instead of" but there is at least room for thought given the way it's written.

(01-21-2014 11:42 PM)stubobj Wrote:  If the rules arent enough to persuade you then try looking at it thematically.

The way I can see it cinematically is; you're hunkered down in a building when suddenly the Zombies are breaking through the window across the room. You scramble to the window and start moving junk and nailing boards in the same action.

01-22-2014, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2014 05:31 AM by alderdust.)
Thematically if you are scrambling to move junk and nailing boards you can't also be looking for a chainsaw...you have to choose which is more important...building a barricade or searching the place.
01-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Heh, I could also see moving the sofa to slam it against the door...and finding a pistol laying on the floor.

I don't know, I think there's enough there to warrant an official answer for clarity. Jason may say "what'r ya nuts? Of course you can't move/search and build a barricade! Where did you get such a notion?" Or he might say "Yah, you know that could have been worded better." Or he might say "Yep, I wondered if anyone would pick up on that. Not many realize that you can move/search and build a barricade."

01-22-2014, 02:41 PM
(01-22-2014 12:57 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  ... Not many realize that you can move/search and build a barricade."

You are free to email him for an official answer, I think if this was the case then it would be clearer in the rulebook. Although rulebooks do have faults but seeing as its been out for 4+ years now this would of been caught sooner.
01-22-2014, 04:38 PM
You are right about that - the fact that it's been out for 4+ years does not bode in favor of it.

01-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Let me know if/when you get a response please
01-23-2014, 02:22 PM
I sent an email to Jason yesterday and copied this thread. Maybe he'll post on this thread.