Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Crash Course and L4D2
10-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Crash Course and L4D2
L4D2 it is you! It is you!

Reaching for the Star Wars reference... ouch...

ANYHOW.

Is Crash Course worth the points? I think it's a little ridiculous that they're making you pay for the download and there's a new game coming out in a little over a month. Bastards.

I've been skipping buying the few games that look a little interesting. I don't got the money. Which is all good as I haven't been playing too much anyhow. I've been playing that Magic The Gathering game a lot, but I can sense that as soon as I unlock all the cards, that will cease.

That said, L4D2 looks pretty good. I might get that one. Anyone picking this up on release? That Wet demo was fun too.

I'd like to XBOX Live a little more. Perhaps we can pick a night and just make it a weekly thing. I'm thinking Monday or Tuesday perhaps? There's nothing on the TV those days anyhow. Maybe earlier in the week will be easier? Any thoughts?

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2009, 02:06 PM
RE: Crash Course and L4D2
You seek wisdom, my young padawan. Empty your mind....oh I see your already there! Zombie03 Zombie17

Anyway, enough of this SW shtick and onto XBL.

Crash Course is fun. It is short, at only 2 levels but can be quite intense. I read an interview with Yasser Malaika of Valve and the reason it is free on PC but costs on 360 is because on PC it is from Valve's own steam, whilst 360 is through MS XBL.

The quote is as follows:

Quote:"We own our platform. Microsoft owns their own platform. They wanted to make sure there's an economy of value there.And so we have a price for the expansion Crash Course."

Seems to be saying it's all Microsoft's fault.

He also mentioned that there should be more DLC coming including fan-made campaigns originally created for the PC version being ported to the 360. He stated that maybe if there was a charge for the Fan-made stuff money could be filtered back to the original modder.

Hmm...not sure MS will agree to that last bit but who knows.

- Now L4D2....This is a must buy in my opinion. Everything I have been reading about it just makes me want it more and more:

- Melee weapons including frying pans (one of Valve's team has the "clunk" as his ringtone).

- Daytime setting. Nice to see what we are doing and where we are going for a change.

- New mission AI which can totally change pathways from one play to the next...."down this alley it was a short cut last time! Oh shit, it's blocked off!"

- New campaign settings with some unique zombies for each..Swamp setting with small zombies barely seen in the swamp which pop out and grab you....Dark Carnival with zombie clowns (see Zombieland thread)

- New Special Infected (as well as our old "faves"):
a) The Charger - Like the Tank but aims himself for multi targets to break up players staying together.
b) The Spitter - She sits a long jet of "acidic" bile at you which forms a pool and keeps damaging you while you stand it it.
c) The Jockey - (My new fave) He leaps on your back and tries to steer you into other zombies or indeed a Spitter bile pool.

So you can see there seems a lot of good reason (IMHO) to buy L4D2.

As for a gaming night, I am all for it. You folks pick the best night for you and it should be fine for me. Kath stills refers to Thursday as my "gaming night". A Monday or Tuesday would be great.

Sarks, or indeed anyone else, if you are around in the next few nights let me know. Vike & I have had a few great games this week of L4D (not just Crash Course) and it would be great to see you.
Find all posts by this user
10-08-2009, 08:02 PM
I thought CRASH COURSE was definitely worth the money.

I will be buying l4d2 as well. Those games IMHO, have much replayability for me....

Zalgo....he comes.
10-09-2009, 03:57 AM
I have it on PC and find it a nice change from the other campaigns. If you've enjoyed L4D thus far, it's worth picking up. While I know I will ultimately have L4D2, I'm not as eager to buy just now. It's still just an engine upgrade to me, not a fully new game. I feel Valve's cashing in a fair bit on this one year turn around. I'll probably wait for a good price before I bite.
10-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Just noticed this article about the L4D2 new game mode, Scavenge:

IGN Scavenge Mode for L4D2

Sounds good!
10-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Can you break that down for us 'Web Filtered' folks???

Zalgo....he comes.
10-10-2009, 02:56 AM
Not sure if you have seen the article but here is a quote:
Quote:Scavenge mode challenges players to compete in round-based games of up to 8 players (Survivors vs. Infected). The Survivors must battle both the Infected and the clock as they collect gas cans to refuel a generator located in each map. Every can the Survivors pour into the generator scores their team a point and adds time to the clock.

On defense, the Infected team plays as the boss Infected (including the new Spitter, Jockey, and Charger). They must keep the Survivors from fueling the generator by attacking them, destroying the gas cans, or running out the clock. During a round, each team gets an opportunity to play both sides, with the round going to whichever team successfully delivers the most cans.
10-12-2009, 12:12 PM
My friend and I were wondering about Crash Course. We weren't sure if it was worth the money. But we plan to finally play some L4D on Halloween so we might download it. I hope it's not region locked...

As for L4D2, we're still on the fence about it. It just seems too soon for a sequel when they hardly supported the first. And now charging money (I know, it's MS's fault as usual) for a short campaign? Just doesn't seem right.
10-12-2009, 03:50 PM
The MS points for the download was relatively cheap, and I'm more than ready for a sequel. I don't feel 'taken advantaged of' in the slightest.

Sports games, for instance, have a 'new version' every year, and that doesn't seem to hurt sales.

Zalgo....he comes.
10-12-2009, 11:28 PM
True. But I criticize sports games for the same thing and have yet to buy one. And just because it doesn't hurt sales doesn't mean that it's not just taking advantage of a built-in, gullible market.