Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Creating a personal game for my kids
06-14-2013, 05:02 AM
So I was thinking of making a game for my boys, a simple fast pace MTG style card game with ZOMBIES!!

There will be a zombie side with their own unique deck. In the deck, my thoughts were zombie cards with a power and toughness assigned to them with a "brain" cost. So there would also be brain cards that act like mana in MTG.

The survivor side would have a series of survivor cards and one would be picked before the game starts. there would be power and toughness and possibly a special ability, it would be a simple ability, just something to add a little difference between survivors. every turn the survivor will draw up to a certain limit of cards. those cards would come from a survivor card deck and would consist of weapons, ammo, healing, ect. they would be played as "instants" against the zombies. Lets say you lay down a shotgun card it does "X" amount of damage. you play it against a zombie ad if the damage the shotgun does kills the zombie you remove the zombie, or you can use another weapon to finish it off. the ammo cards can be used to give a weapon a second shot, either same target or a new target. I want to keep this basic and simple, survivors would have "X" amount of health and there would also be a turn counter,Survivors win if they outlast the counter, zombies win if they kill the survivor.

I need to try and figure out all the little specifics this is just a rough outline of intent. Zombies on the cards are going to be goofy little cartoon zombies, nothing too graphic. using my three year old as a base line on scariness. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome, like I said this is just an idea right now, I'm thinking of making a zombie card up as a sample and maybe a weapon and survivor card as well. Let me know if you guys think I should look at another route..

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Magic set editor with the horror card template is a good start for format.

Any one here from Long Island NY?
Find all posts by this user
06-14-2013, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2013 12:46 PM by alderdust.)
RE: Creating a personal game for my kids
You could grab some ideas from zombie fluxx or the MTG zombie decks or even play zombie munchkin with them that would be very fun I think I love munchkin!
06-14-2013, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2013 01:43 PM by mqstout.)
Check out the Magic sets Portal 1, Portal 2 or Portal 3. They were "simplified" sets for this purpose. You might be able to retheme the cards and not have to worry about doing the "game" part of it. AND THEN when you're done, they'll know the basics of Magic itself.

Portal
Portal Second Age
Portal Three Kingdoms
06-15-2013, 05:29 AM
Here is my first effort at the card design. Both are Zombie deck cards. Brain card is the "currency" to play Zombies. Brain cost is on top right of Zombie Card, attack and defense on bottom.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
06-18-2013, 01:02 PM
These are definitely awesome.

Any one here from Long Island NY?