Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Crossbow house rules?
02-03-2014, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 08:27 PM by ATOEtalGeek.)
RE: Crossbow house rules?
(02-02-2014 04:41 PM)Jeffx2 Wrote:  Perhaps you could have the crossbow come with a set number of tokens representing ammo. The tokens could be dropped on the space the zombie was killed in and picked up later by moving through the space.

That is a really great idea...and makes me seriously want to add a crossbow now. I was neutral till now. +1 Rep for that. Watchmen02

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 12:11 AM
(02-02-2014 04:41 PM)Jeffx2 Wrote:  Perhaps you could have the crossbow come with a set number of tokens representing ammo. The tokens could be dropped on the space the zombie was killed in and picked up later by moving through the space.

Nice idea. I really like the set number of bolts (ammo).

Probably a few things to think about:
Fire and Miss: will the bolt be lost? Or is it retrievable on a die roll?
Retrieve from killed zombie: is retrieval automatic? Or do you retrieve on a die roll? (representing wedged in corpse, or broken/disfigured bolt, etc).

Just putting it out there.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
02-04-2014, 12:52 AM
(02-04-2014 12:11 AM)ForestRunner Wrote:  Nice idea. I really like the set number of bolts (ammo).

Probably a few things to think about:
Fire and Miss: will the bolt be lost? Or is it retrievable on a die roll?
Retrieve from killed zombie: is retrieval automatic? Or do you retrieve on a die roll? (representing wedged in corpse, or broken/disfigured bolt, etc).

Just putting it out there.

Good thoughts. Hmm.

Fire and Miss: Having tried to find arrows that have missed a target I know that it's a major pain, even in daylight. I'd have to go with arrow is lost for good.

Retrieval: Everything else has a break/out of ammo roll, so this probably should to. Breaks on a 1?
02-04-2014, 01:22 AM
(02-04-2014 12:52 AM)Jeffx2 Wrote:  Fire and Miss: Having tried to find arrows that have missed a target I know that it's a major pain, even in daylight. I'd have to go with arrow is lost for good.

Retrieval: Everything else has a break/out of ammo roll, so this probably should to. Breaks on a 1?

Yes, good stuff. I like both of these.

Another consideration. Bolt hits, but does not kill. (Zombie Hero, Champion, etc.) Now it's walking around with the Zombie.

Starting number of bolts (tokens)? I'm thinking 5?

02-04-2014, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 09:59 AM by Achtung Panzer.)
I want to keep things simple, keep the board clutter free, give parity with similar weapons but with a different feel. So:

* Range = 2
* Fire once per Ranged Attack
* Hits on a roll of 4+
* Starts with 5 bolt tokens (the statistical number of shots for a pistol before a 1 out of ammo is rolled)
* Only on a hit is the token placed on the target square - a miss is a permanent miss
* Bolt token automatically retrieved as Hero moves into / through square
* Discarded once all bolt tokens lost but treated as a Gun weapon for Pick up purposes

Does this give the right feel?
02-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Yes, sounds good, but what about bolts stuck in Zombies?

Permanently lost? Dopped on the spot? Bolt (Token) travels with the Zombie?

02-04-2014, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2014 12:54 PM by Achtung Panzer.)
(02-04-2014 12:07 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Yes, sounds good, but what about bolts stuck in Zombies? Permanently lost? Dopped on the spot? Bolt (Token) travels with the Zombie?

Only ZH or Behemoth would be able to take a hit and walk with a bolt - crossbow hits are presumed to be head shots! Personally I don't want to track a bolt stuck in a moving zombie - probably be killed by another hero or in close combat any way.

So token placed on a square for hit / 'dead' zombie to be automatically recovered as stated by Hero moving into or through square. If you missed the 4+ to hit roll you lose the token.
02-04-2014, 06:47 PM
i'd leave ammo cards as ammo cards, and include botls and arrows.

lets face it. a 22lr is as useless to a 12g shotgun as a crossbow bolt is. thus the ammo card is saying you found ammo specific to your weapon. there are umpteen dozen different caliber weapons out there. what's the chance the pile of ammo you found ont he ground fits your gun? ( methinks same chance that there is a bolt or arrow in there ).
02-04-2014, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't want to have to track bolts moving with Behmoths or heros. I'll just assume they snap the annoying thing off when it hits them.
02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
we all have to sacrifice a lil realism for playability. while it may be realistic for a large zed to have recoverable bolts.. it's hard to mechanic...