Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Arkham Horror 3ed.
02-18-2021, 10:46 AM
RE: Arkham Horror 3ed.
This is one of my friend's favorite games and I've played it with him several times. Hope you're having a lot of fun with it! I still like 2nd edition more, but that's mainly because I prefer adventuring and the travel to other worlds in that game do it for me. The 3rd edition game tells a much better story and I actually really like the modular board in practice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2021, 01:05 AM
(02-18-2021 10:46 AM)Raynor Wrote:  This is one of my friend's favorite games and I've played it with him several times. Hope you're having a lot of fun with it! I still like 2nd edition more, but that's mainly because I prefer adventuring and the travel to other worlds in that game do it for me. The 3rd edition game tells a much better story and I actually really like the modular board in practice.

Do you think AH3 could do that with an expansion? I don't have 2nd, so I have no idea. Actually, I've yet to get 3rd to the table either.

When all else fails...run like hell!
02-19-2021, 12:26 PM
In the Scenario I just played it used an Anomaly Deck called "yuggoth Emergent" it transported
the Investigator to Yuggoth .In my 1st Game the Anomaly Deck "Temporal Fissure" took you to
Lost in Time & Space.So AH3 does have Other Worlds there just handled differently than in
AH2 & its Gates.

What Expansion I would like to see is Dunwich.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
06-20-2021, 06:10 AM
I really like Arkham Horror 3E, and I don't mind the modular board on principle, but the look of everything is just kind of washed out and bland. It's not an immersive, attractive board like it's predecessor or other games in the Arkham Horror line. I'm hoping that gets better with more expansions.
06-20-2021, 11:51 AM
I was put off by the modular board at first but have come to appreciate it & I find the mechanics of AH#3 provides a
smoother & more immersive game story wise.

The modular board tiles are a great space savor over the Expansion Boards of AH#2 .

OD

08-24-2021, 02:00 PM
I just pulled the trigger on this. I wanted to buy FANG for my wife's birthday but I couldn't find it (FFP you just lost a saleZombie13).

I just bought the base set and it arrives tomorrow. I will let you guys know what I think about it soonWatchmen02

Cheers to everyone on here for their advice.
08-24-2021, 02:27 PM
Good buy I think you'll like it. I hesitated getting it as I have AH2 & the modular tiles didn't do anything for me.
But now I love it , you'll find the Expansions worthwhile as they add Scenarios & GOO's ,encounter Cards & Inv.

OD

10-16-2021, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2021 10:58 AM by Raynor.)
I just finished the final scenario of the 2nd expansion last night, which means I'm about 13 games in now, including loses, and ... wow. This game has really grown on me.

From the beginning I was very conflicted about certain aspects. It felt a little too hard. A little too long. At first the game felt like it was on rails compared to A Touch of Evil, FanG, Eldritch Horror, or AH2E.... and yet the more I played the more I wanted to play. The farther I delved into the game the more layers peeled back and the more I appreciated the game design.

One of the consistent complaints I heard about AH2E, FanG, and Eldritch Horror was that the events that occurred felt rather random and disconnected from the overarching narrative. My response was always, well nothing better has been designed that delivers this adventure experience so it's really rather irrelevant.

But the Archive/Codex system paired with the unique clue decks + the modular board absolutely changes things. It delivers a unique, variable, and reactive experience without the need for an app or a Game Master/Keeper. It's really impressive!

So while I vastly prefer the visual appeal to a proper board as we have in Eldritch and AH2E, and I have a few complaints here and there about a mechanic or design choice, I inevitably swallow my complaints and pull this out for another game.

Secrets of the Order just came in and I'm looking forward to it.
10-16-2021, 11:36 AM
I've been meaning to get back to this game.I had a couple of plays of the Core Game but haven't got
around to the Expansions.I sort of highjacked myself into trying to merge AH#3 & AH#2 Dunwich Board.
I never quite got it to jell but I blew off a lot of time on trying.Hopefully FFG does a Dunwich Expansion.

OD