Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cthulhu Smash Up
09-21-2013, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2013 09:38 PM by Old Dwarf.)
Cthulhu Smash Up
Smash is a not quite Board not quite card game that fast,
with simple rules & lots of replay potential. Basically it' a
2-4 player Game where each player takes 2 Sets of faction cards
(like Pirates/Zombies or Bear Cavalry/Plants) & mixes them
together for the Deck he/she plays.

There are Action, Minion & Special Cards which you play
to score points on a Base Card & to disrupt your opponent.
It's a fun Light Game which I would not touch with a
10'ft pole.....why?? Well I'm a theme slut & the whole
Smash up Theme is just too silly IMO (of course).

HOWEVER they came out with a Cthulhu Expansion that's
4 Factions all Mythos based-Miskatonic U. ,Elder Things, Cthulhu
Cult & Locals ( Innsmouth types).Thus you can play with
just this Expansion (well you would need a couple of sets if you wanted to play with more than 2 people).So of course I pre-ordered.

It came today ,we played a quick game & of course Mater
destroyed me but it was fun-a nice light Mythos fix.

Oh the Game has Madness Cards to go with the Cthulhu Theme,
they can help or hurt & you don't want to be caught with them
when your trying to score as they deduct points.

You can play this Expansion with Smash Up Core & it's other Expansion.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2013, 10:00 PM
RE: Cthulhu Smash Up
I thought Smash Up looked pretty interesting when they gave it a go on Tabletop. I see what you mean, though. It's too complicated to thrust at people that don't play board/card games, and usually too simple/all over the place for people who take their games a bit more seriously. That said, it's cheaper than most games and I've seen people have a lot of fun with it. What I'm really interested in is what you thought of the artwork for the Cthulhu Expansion (and I loved that they named it "The Obligatory Cthulhu Set"). Is it as cartoony as what I've seen in the base game?
09-22-2013, 12:02 AM
(09-21-2013 10:00 PM)Mello Man Wrote:  I thought Smash Up looked pretty interesting when they gave it a go on Tabletop. I see what you mean, though. It's too complicated to thrust at people that don't play board/card games, and usually too simple/all over the place for people who take their games a bit more seriously. That said, it's cheaper than most games and I've seen people have a lot of fun with it. What I'm really interested in is what you thought of the artwork for the Cthulhu Expansion (and I loved that they named it "The Obligatory Cthulhu Set"). Is it as cartoony as what I've seen in the base game?

Yes it is a tad cartoony , another of my turn offs game wise, but
I didn't find it off putting. Serious Mythos it's not but it's quick & fun.
The Actions/Minions however are nicely keyed to the Mythos Factions.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
09-23-2013, 05:17 PM
(09-22-2013 12:02 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  
(09-21-2013 10:00 PM)Mello Man Wrote:  I thought Smash Up looked pretty interesting when they gave it a go on Tabletop. I see what you mean, though. It's too complicated to thrust at people that don't play board/card games, and usually too simple/all over the place for people who take their games a bit more seriously. That said, it's cheaper than most games and I've seen people have a lot of fun with it. What I'm really interested in is what you thought of the artwork for the Cthulhu Expansion (and I loved that they named it "The Obligatory Cthulhu Set"). Is it as cartoony as what I've seen in the base game?

Yes it is a tad cartoony , another of my turn offs game wise, but
I didn't find it off putting. Serious Mythos it's not but it's quick & fun.
The Actions/Minions however are nicely keyed to the Mythos Factions.

OD

I found this particular expansion to be a bit underwhelming. Sure the theme was fun but the actual cards were kind of ho hum
11-17-2013, 03:52 AM
The Madness cards can be extremely frustrating when you don't have one of the four new groups. Recently my gaming group got together. We always randomly choose our teams. I ended up with Steampunk Bear Calvary. I like the Steampunk quite a bit, but I had trouble being able to even use the cards in my hand because I was constantly fighting off the Madness.

Have you seen that they're working on a new expansion? There isn't much info out there yet that I've found, but it looks like it might be scientists, mutants, and secret agents. Not sure what else.
11-19-2013, 11:22 PM
to cartoony? for people that also like elder sign?