Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Custom River Board Tiles
09-24-2020, 10:00 PM
RE: Custom River Board Tiles
I finally got to play test my River Tiles!

Scenario: Escape in the Truck

It literally came down to the last Hero Turn! It was an intense game!
The River didnt seem to effect the game all that much! Maybe perhaps with a different scenario, it would! Curious to continue to play test!

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2020, 04:20 PM
So the Roll 4+ to cross the river: is that only if a bridge is not available?
09-25-2020, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2020 05:38 PM by mkrob89.)
(09-25-2020 04:20 PM)BigDumbYak Wrote:  So the Roll 4+ to cross the river: is that only if a bridge is not available?

The Hero may choose to cross, using the bridge, whenever they'd like. But Zombies mainly cross using the bridges as well. So there's potential bottleneck areas. When I played, there were always 2-3 Zombies crossing the same bridge, at the same time. I think it happened 3 or 4 times where 2-3 would spawn right across and move together across the bridge.

The Heroes may also choose to swim across at anytime. For example, if a group of zombies are on/near the bridge space, and the Hero needs to get across the river and doesn't want to deal with fighting or detouring around the zombies.

Or, if there is only a few turns left and the Hero cant wait for the bridge to clear out, so they risk swimming across the river, to save time.

Plus, there can be as many bridges as desired. I played with 4, as equidistant from another as I could, on each river tile, except the center tile. This made is fairly simple to get from 1 side to the other. However with 3, 2, or only 1 bridge, things could change!

Also remember, when the Heroes swim across the river, the always cross it. The dice roll is just to see if there is a stop in movement, after crossing, and to see if an Item card is lost or a wound is taken. The items card is chosen by the Zombie player, so if he hero is carrying a scenario item, it could be lost/discarded. (Or if you're like me and play solo, it's a scenario item first, then weapon, then anything else.)

I'm also toying with the Zombie player being able to destroy the bridges somehow!
09-26-2020, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2020 03:20 AM by mkrob89.)
I played tonight used this River tile variation, using only 2 bridges at the edges of the board!

Came down to the last round again!

I took some chances a few times, and swam across the river! I was 2 for 4! The first time, Johnny had the gas. Both paths towards the 2 bridges were scattered with Zombies. So he swam across, luckily rolling a 4 after crossing, thus being able to continue his movement to the truck!
Then Jenny swam across later in the game. Not carrying any items, she risked losing some health! She managed to roll a 5!
The Sheriff and Becky both tried with only a few rounds left. I had been throwing low movement die for those 2 and they had a long way to go...plus the "Heavy Rain" card was in play, making it worse.
Sheriff had 1 set of keys, (Billy had the other) but the Sheriff only roll a 3 after crossing. So his movement stopped, and the keys sunk to the bottom of the River.
Becky risked her last wound, and failed.

All in all, it played really great! It doesn't seem to affect the zombies all that much yet! And it makes for an intense decision when running close on time!

09-27-2020, 08:01 PM
(09-17-2020 10:49 PM)BigDumbYak Wrote:  Excellent idea! Great work on this.
Have you tried anything involving BOTH the river and teh Forest?

I tried this board set up for the first time, this afternoon!

Scenario: Escape in the truck
Heroes lost, due to not being able to find the keys, which were actually found the last round. The truck was actually managed to be filled up with gas. Cartwright manage to maneuver through the forest and river, effortlessly.

The truck was in the top right L board just to the left of the Church. (It wasnt in the picture yet when I took it.) Cartwright got the gas from the Gas station discard pick up ability.

The forest and river definitely made it tougher!

09-29-2020, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2020 07:29 PM by samuraitrev.)
I really like your river idea. Just some extra thoughts to consider.

1) Can Zombies cross the river? Maybe they cross on a D6 roll of 5+ (on a 1 swept away or stuck in deep mud).

2) Could Heavy Rain make it more difficult to cross the river? Maybe still cross on a D6 roll 4+ but wounded on a roll of 1.

3) An extra rule Over Encumbered When attempting to cross a river with a Double Handed weapon or carrying 4 Items, lose an Item (Hero's choice) on a D6 roll of 1 (Scenario Special Items are not lost).

4) If a Fire starts or moves into a bridge space the bridge will catch fire on a D6 roll of 5+.

+1 Rep
Happy gamingWatchmen02
09-29-2020, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2020 09:59 PM by mkrob89.)
(09-29-2020 06:39 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I really like your river idea. Just some extra thoughts to consider.

1) Can Zombies cross the river? Maybe they cross on a D6 roll of 5+ (on a 1 swept away or stuck in deep mud).

2) Could Heavy Rain make it more difficult to cross the river? Maybe still cross on a D6 roll 4+ but wounded on a roll of 1.

3) An extra rule Over Encumbered When attempting to cross a river with a Double Handed weapon or carrying 4 Items, lose an Item (Hero's choice) on a D6 roll of 1 (Scenario Special Items are not lost).

4) If a Fire starts or moves into a bridge space the bridge will catch fire on a D6 roll of 5+.

Happy gamingWatchmen02

Thank you!
1. Right now, they can only cross using the "shamble" card. Implying that their natural movement of 1 space is too slow and the river would wash them away. But I may try and have them cross, using your suggestion, during my next play through!

2. I love the idea of "heavy rain" making it more difficult! "Flash Flood!"

3. That definitely could be implemented! I like the idea of having to limit items due to their weight, when crossing!

4. I've never played with the fire mechanic, because all I have is the base game, but for the wooden bridges that would work well! I'm trying to come up with a way the Zombie player could destroy the bridges!

Thank you so much for the feedback and suggestions! All of them are great ideas!
09-30-2020, 02:41 PM
Gas Can/Dynamite and fire!! Bridge go buh bye!
Pew, Crash, Whoof, Arghh, EEEEE, Boom.
07-10-2021, 07:39 PM
This is a great addition. Additional thoughts could be to create an item card to cross easier or place a bridge on one of the tiles and have a zombie card that can destroy the bridge