Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
DZD/Find the townsfolk Improvements!
04-02-2013, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 07:31 AM by deepfreeze.)
DZD/Find the townsfolk Improvements!
Edited to remove escape in the truck (see my other post) and All Hallows Eve (doesn't need to be changed and I have ideas for what I had suggested)

Find the Townsfolk
This prevents humans from finding all the townsfolk in the same building which thematically is lame and makes no sense.
-He's not here! - once a townsfolk is found in a building no more townsfolk can be found in that building (if another is found reshuffle into deck and redraw card.
-Place the townsfolk marker on the building to remind yourself that no more can be found.

Die Zombie Die
I don't know why anyone would play this scenario anyway, but to prevent the lame human camping strategy which then causes the lame zombie run away strategy.
-item card is REMOVED FROM THE GAME on discard after picking it up using building specific pick up. (No Flare gun/shotgun camping!)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 03:47 AM
RE: Escape in the Truck/All Hallows Eve/DZD/Find the townsfolk Improvements!
I'd strongly recommend following the Radio for Help approach (Timber Peak scenario) for revamping Escape in the Truck. I don't have the scenario card with me, but I think it worked this way:

- Players would use the numbered tokens from 1-8, turn them face down and mix them up, then place them in random buildings (2 per L-board).
- A D6 is rolled twice to represent where the Gas and the Keys are. If the second roll is the same as the first, reroll it. So if the rolls are 2 and 6, for example, then the buildings with the numbers 2 and 6 are the ones where the Gas and the Keys are.
- When Searching in a building with a number token, the Hero player may opt to turn the token face up instead of drawing a card. If it matches one of the numbers rolled earlier, then they've found either one of the items. The Hero who found the item can be given a token to represent the item, already established rules on what happens to these tokens can be followed (exchanging items, item stays in the same square if the Hero dies, etc.)
- There's no need to remove the Keys and Gasoline cards from the Hero deck. Just keep them in and play the cards for their normal effects. Just What I Needed is played like there were no Scenario Search items in the deck.

What do you guys think? Those who have Timber Peak and have played Radio For Help, chime in!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2013, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 05:18 PM by deepfreeze.)
(04-03-2013 03:47 AM)LabRat Wrote:  I'd strongly recommend following the Radio for Help approach (Timber Peak scenario) for revamping Escape in the Truck. I don't have the scenario card with me, but I think it worked this way:

- Players would use the numbered tokens from 1-8, turn them face down and mix them up, then place them in random buildings (2 per L-board).
- A D6 is rolled twice to represent where the Gas and the Keys are. If the second roll is the same as the first, reroll it. So if the rolls are 2 and 6, for example, then the buildings with the numbers 2 and 6 are the ones where the Gas and the Keys are.
- When Searching in a building with a number token, the Hero player may opt to turn the token face up instead of drawing a card. If it matches one of the numbers rolled earlier, then they've found either one of the items. The Hero who found the item can be given a token to represent the item, already established rules on what happens to these tokens can be followed (exchanging items, item stays in the same square if the Hero dies, etc.)
- There's no need to remove the Keys and Gasoline cards from the Hero deck. Just keep them in and play the cards for their normal effects. Just What I Needed is played like there were no Scenario Search items in the deck.

What do you guys think? Those who have Timber Peak and have played Radio For Help, chime in!

Umm, this is exactly what I wrote originally unless I missed something. The only differences are:

1. You say 1-8. I assume this is a typo and it should be 1-6.

2. You do have to remove the cards from the game or else it does not make sense to find them as a card and not be able to use them.

If you are really serious about leaving the cards alone then I would suggest the following.

Rather than searching for Keys you are looking for Truck Keys Which are a unique item NOT a card.

Rather than searching for Gasoline you are searching for Spare Tire and you have to give up a turn in the truck to change the tire.

I guess you could just use some of the custom pieces (A and B) maybe to represent these items. Some sweet custom improvements would be best for theme though!

I have some big ideas about reworking this scenario that I will make as a separate post as soon as it is ready.

(04-03-2013 05:16 PM)deepfreeze Wrote:  [quote='LabRat' pid='39092' dateline='1364957273']
I'd strongly recommend following the Radio for Help approach (Timber Peak scenario) for revamping Escape in the Truck. I don't have the scenario card with me, but I think it worked this way:

Ok I actually might get it.

The 7-8 are just meant to be empty rooms to encourage players to keep looking?
04-03-2013, 05:51 PM
I would certainly be interested in trying it (using the full 1-8 counters). we have had some ridic short games where the zombies barely managed to make it on the board and some where the heroes had to keep searching and searching... though I don't know if I can ever recall that being too terribly much of a prob.

I recall we had one game where the heroes found both the keys and the gas in the first two turns. got a shotgun and hung out in the police station and just picked off zombies for a couple rounds. searching for weapons. then made a rush to the truck to fill it up with the gas. Father Joseph (myself) with the keys held back a little having taken some wounds due to using his abilities to nix some powerful zombie cards. unfortunately at the go time he then had some unlucky dice rolls moving toward the truck. he was promptly surrounded by a swarm of bloodthirsty zombies and his brains made a tasty feast for the starving hoard.

all the arrogant heroes had to begrudgingly get out of the truck and search for some new keys as the newly zombified father Joe (myself--we always play zombie heroes, but without heroes replenish...) began to chase after the high school boys (alter boys...perhaps?)

in any case the heroes did manage to find keys and just managed to make it back to the truck and kill Father Joseph (who did not manage to score himself some alter boy brains)--all in the final hour...

sorry, I think I just wanted to share that story on reversals of fortune. I would like to try it with the number counters though....

"with just a touch of my burning hand..."
04-03-2013, 06:16 PM
(04-03-2013 05:16 PM)deepfreeze Wrote:  Umm, this is exactly what I wrote originally unless I missed something. The only differences are:

1. You say 1-8. I assume this is a typo and it should be 1-6.
The 7-8 are just meant to be empty rooms to encourage players to keep looking?

Use 1-8 to ensure that the search areas are balanced across the board (2 per L-board).
Quote:2. You do have to remove the cards from the game or else it does not make sense to find them as a card and not be able to use them.
If you are really serious about leaving the cards alone then I would suggest the following.

Rather than searching for Keys you are looking for Truck Keys Which are a unique item NOT a card.
Rather than searching for Gasoline you are searching for Spare Tire and you have to give up a turn in the truck to change the tire.

I guess you could just use some of the custom pieces (A and B) maybe to represent these items. Some sweet custom improvements would be best for theme though!

Yes, the Keys and Gasoline cards no longer count towards the Scenario requirement. They're not good for just completing the scenario, they have card text so they're still useful. Keys and Gasoline cards are used as written on the card text. For the scenario, you need to look for the "Keys marker" and the "Gasoline marker".
04-03-2013, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 11:41 PM by friskers96.)
I don't remember the skull being used in all hollows eve.. I do think it would be cool to have the hero that retrieves the book make a will check vs the book. If the hero fails they are turned into another zombie master...
About the gasoline search, maybe you lay out marker 1-8 like normal but upon finding the gas marker actually puts out a stockpile of gas markers, roll a D6 to see how many are placed. If a hero dies while hold a gas marker there is a 50/50 chance of it igniting. I think that would be a serious game changer...

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
04-04-2013, 03:20 AM
(04-03-2013 11:37 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  I don't remember the skull being used in all hollows eve.. I do think it would be cool to have the hero that retrieves the book make a will check vs the book. If the hero fails they are turned into another zombie master...
About the gasoline search, maybe you lay out marker 1-8 like normal but upon finding the gas marker actually puts out a stockpile of gas markers, roll a D6 to see how many are placed. If a hero dies while hold a gas marker there is a 50/50 chance of it igniting. I think that would be a serious game changer...

There is no skull in all hallows eve originally. That whole thing is just a suggestion. I just think it is sweet to use the holy character to clense the evil skull and then bury it in the graveyard. This is a common theme with me but I try to eliminate scenario search items whenever possible.

I think that AHE is a pretty difficult scenario as it is originally. Having your hero turn into a zombie hero when he picked up the book would be brutal. Sweet theme idea though.

I also had an idea for AHE that the game should get harder when the zombie master is revealed. Something like zombie autospawn until he is killed.
04-04-2013, 04:10 AM
I like these ideas... Zombie hero could "raise the dead" when discovered, something like spawning X number of zombies around him maybe like D3 zombies.
1 hero turning from the book would be funny, 3 more failing after would be brutal (and hilarious).. Last time I played AHE, Father Joseph of all people discovered him and canned him in one turn... Zombie player (the wife) got REAL pissy. I almost had to sleep on the couch after that one. Chainsaw FTW!!

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...