Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dark Gothic rules uncertainty
08-30-2014, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 02:07 AM by mqstout.)
Dark Gothic rules uncertainty
The partner and myself played a few games of DG last night. One bit of rules came up. (More review coming later when we play a few more.)

Do I have to use the Ghosts ability every turn, even if I don't want to, with the risk there for the villain? For the game, he and I agreed that I did have to. Any dissenting opinions?

Quote:Greystone Gargoyle (Level 2 villain)
Global: Anytime a hero rolls an (OMEN) on the omen die, the must acquire a Dark Secret.
Quote:Ghosts in the Fog card, in play already
Once per turn, roll the omen die. On the roll of (OMEN) gain 1 spirit.
Remains in play.

The Remains in Play part of the rules doesn't seem to address this either.

Sadly, I don't expect any official responses (even on the infernal BGG). The Frog seems to have dropped DG before they even had it on the market, especially with the low-fat-Swiss-cheesed rule book. I certainly say I like it already, and my boyfriend certainly does even moreso.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2014, 09:48 AM
RE: Dark Gothic rules uncertainty
DG does seem to have been overtaken by SoB hoopla ,hopefully when the Froggers
can finally catch their breath DG will get some attention.

I don't have the DG but from your examples to my read it would appear that you are forced
to roll the omen die as you decided.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
08-30-2014, 02:22 PM
(08-30-2014 02:05 AM)mqstout Wrote:  Do I have to use the Ghosts ability every turn, even if I don't want to,

The card's ability or effect only goes into play if you "play" the card.

In Competitive mode You decide which cards from your hand will be played.

In Co-operative mode you Must play the Minion cards as they come up. So in that case you would have to play Ghosts in the Fog.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
08-30-2014, 05:17 PM
ATOEtalGeek, the card in question is a "remains in play" card played on a previous turn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-31-2014, 04:18 AM
(08-30-2014 05:17 PM)mqstout Wrote:  ATOEtalGeek, the card in question is a "remains in play" card played on a previous turn.

Ah, got it. The card does not use the word "may" so it seems that you would have to make that roll every turn. "It's a rotten trap. We've got to kill this thing before the Shadows overtake us!"

Even Hungry Dead does not help you. That only removes cards you've played that turn, aside from cards in the center line.

There is a Shocking Discovery though that causes Remains in Play cards to be discarded.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
08-31-2014, 07:27 PM
Agreed. The ghosts are used as long as they remain in play.