Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dead Island Characters
11-20-2012, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2012 03:08 PM by zelectah.)
Dead Island Characters
Here the four Dead Island characters.
Leave some comments and ideas.

And here in a pack in original size.

.rar  D.I. Ch..rar (Size: 5.08 MB / Downloads: 2)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2012, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 04:50 PM by mqstout.)
RE: Dead Island Characters
Note, I have not played the video game these are based off.

Logan:
* Injury can be worded as "INJURY -- Subtracts 1 from his Movement Dice roll (to a minimum of 1)." (Cf. Heavy Rain)
* He feels balanced, especially since HIT & RUN and INJURY are not very complementary but could feel fun anyway.

Purna:
* Extraordinarily underpowered.
* Starting with ammo is almost valueless. Look at Sheriff Anderson; he can pick up his gun again easily if he loses it.

Xian:
* Two wounds but no self heal is unprecidented and very risky.
* The game has no built in definition of "Blade Weapon". (The game actually only has one: the cleaver. Not even a machete!)
* She doesn't mesh well. Weak and no healing, but starts with a melee weapon. I'd never want to play her.

Sam:
* Wording. "BLUNT -- Once per combat, may add 1 to any Fight Dice roll." (Cf. Farmer Sty.)
* Alpha's an interesting ability that changes the dynamic of the game and limits tactical options (at the expense of his very strong BLUNT ability). I like it.

Generally people make custom characters far too strong. Yours are-about right-to-too-weak. Nice job!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-20-2012, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 06:24 PM by zelectah.)
(11-20-2012 04:47 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Note, I have not played the video game these are based off.

You should. It's a very cool game.

Changed a few things. I hope they are now more balanced.
Maybe I'll give them a try next weekend with a few of my P&P buddies.
11-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Unless I'm missing something, "Hit and Run" and "Pitcher" are baseball terms, but this character is an ex-FOOTBALL player, correct? Is it intended that he's played both? Maybe just make him an athlete? Or keep the terms "Blitz" instead of "Hit and Run" (like Johnny since it's the same ability) and maybe "Quarterback" instead of "Pitcher" since the ability is based on throwing?
11-20-2012, 07:51 PM
(11-20-2012 07:13 PM)sgiove Wrote:  Unless I'm missing something, "Hit and Run" and "Pitcher" are baseball terms, but this character is an ex-FOOTBALL player, correct? Is it intended that he's played both? Maybe just make him an athlete? Or keep the terms "Blitz" instead of "Hit and Run" (like Johnny since it's the same ability) and maybe "Quarterback" instead of "Pitcher" since the ability is based on throwing?

Changed, thanks.
11-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Your change to Sam means that he'll never lose a fight and always kill a zombie in combat. (The "multiple times per fight".)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-21-2012, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2012 03:09 PM by sgiove.)
Just a minor edit: missing the first R in QuaRterback with your most recent change.

Also, for Sam B., the term "dices" is incorrect. A die is singular and dice is plural. So you can say "may add +1 to one of your Fight dice" or "may add +1 to a Fight die".
11-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Corrected.