Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dead of Winter
06-13-2014, 01:13 AM
Dead of Winter
Dead of Winter is a game thats coming soon. It appears to be primarily a survival game with zombies thrown in.

Its semi-coop. There is a group objective but there is also individual objectives. There is also the posibility for a player to secretly be a "betrayer".

Good rundown on youtube here:
Dead of Winter Summary

It can be preordered now.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2014, 04:09 PM
RE: Dead of Winter
It is a bit like a reskinned bsg not a bad thing really.
09-05-2014, 04:44 PM
My gaming group just picked it up. It is really cool! We have really been digging it. It is definitely not one of the best games we play. It also doesn't hold a candle to Last Night On Earth or Zombicide as far as zombie games go. Still, it is really cool and a lot of fun.

I honestly think it trends just a tad bit too difficult, if you ask me. I feel like it could have stood to be slightly less difficult. But, even so it is still a lot of fun. Plus, heck, that could just be because we are still new to the game. Maybe as we get the hang of it more we will be better at actually winning.
10-29-2014, 02:12 PM
I want this game !!
10-29-2014, 10:57 PM
I preordered it just because of the cool factor, even though Solo gaming is my only option. I fiddled with it a bit to try & figure out solo options, then put it aside. Need to pick it up again at some point.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-30-2014, 11:09 AM
I looked this over but as MS notes it doesn't play solo & needs a
lot of player interaction ,even with 2 players I don't think it
provides an interesting game even if they both play multiple
characters.

With a group of people it reaches it's full potential.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
10-31-2014, 01:56 PM
It plays solo just fine. Obviously you don't have the betrayer element, but you just use the 'hard' side of the scenario card, no one has any individual objectives, and you do your best to survive! I like the challenge of it.

I've played the competitive version a few times and it seems to me that betrayers generally either win alone, or no one wins. I've had to house rule that the first player token goes forwards rather than backwards to counter the double-turn problem.
11-01-2014, 01:22 AM
(10-31-2014 01:56 PM)FruitEatingBear Wrote:  It plays solo just fine. Obviously you don't have the betrayer element, but you just use the 'hard' side of the scenario card, no one has any individual objectives, and you do your best to survive! I like the challenge of it.

I've played the competitive version a few times and it seems to me that betrayers generally either win alone, or no one wins. I've had to house rule that the first player token goes forwards rather than backwards to counter the double-turn problem.

That's what I was trying to replicate in some fashion: the betrayer & "hidden goal" aspects. I attempted to run 2 "NPC" groups vs "my" group. I had some ok-ish success.

I finally got around to doing some solo RPG'ing, which I'd been building up to for quite some time. I've had a lot of use out of D&D's Reaction Roll Table, a solo GM Emulator (Mythic GME) & a NPC Emulator (UNE Universal NPC Emulator). I can see potential in these for determining actions of the "other" group(s).

I'd like to add a mechanic to raise/lower suspicion to make (potentially) uncovering a traitor (or possibly accusing a an innocent "player'), voting, etc, more of a mechanical/randomizable process & I think I'd be where I want to be at.

Again the above tools could be useful in that, in that they do a great job of determining NPC's moods, actions, responses, decisions, etc.

I just haven't felt up to futzing around with it lately.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
01-25-2015, 09:07 PM
I picked this game up yesterday and having never played it myself I cant make a fair comment. Saying that I have read about it and watched some online vids, and im liking what I see. Maybe ill get to smash a few games in the coming weeks and come up with a better view on things?
01-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Had my eye on this one for a while and now it's avaialble again I'm tempted. I enjoy solo and play with 2 friends but we don't want complex games.

Comments here are useful - and having just watched 30 days of Night again I like the cold / Winter theme. does it play well thematically?