Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dead of Winter
02-03-2019, 02:31 PM
RE: Dead of Winter
(01-31-2019 05:55 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I've heard a lot of positive reports about this game. If I buy another zombie game; it will be this one.

I really enjoy it and have the expansions - including the Raxxon spin-off. But the zombies are the backdrop threat and constant danger. The game focuses on the realtionship and tensions between the survivors. It generarates a great sense of paranoia.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2019, 02:49 PM
I enjoyed DoW a few times, but I'm glad I didn't buy it. The variable "sometimes there's a traitor, sometimes there's not" mechanic irked me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-15-2019, 09:09 AM
You can just give everyone betrayal cards, then it's a big cluster f to everyone playing
09-08-2020, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2020 07:01 PM by samuraitrev.)
I said I would get around to picking this up and I did. For those who don't know

Dead of Winter (The Long Night).

It's the end of the world and there's a very small amount of survivors left. This is hugely compounded as it's absolutely freezing too. Frostbite and hunger are also major killers in this game. It's very dark thematically and a completely different play style to LNoE. You can also fight rival gangs (known as bandits) but they're basically just another group trying to stay alive. The components are quality and there's some great mechanics in there, such as group voting on some decisions. The story is very much about survival. The Zombies are really just hungry bystanders. Attention to thematic detail is very evident. Even to the point that colony needs to be cleaned or the morale will drop. Imagine having to camp next to raw sewerage and you get the idea. If the morale ever drops to 0 it's game over. Imagine some of the group leaves the colony, other members may have taken a more dramatic instant departure.

There are 8 scenarios (more would have been nice) and you will need to venture out of the relative safety of the colony into the town. Here you can visit generic places such as Police Station, Gas Station, School etc. Here you will be looking for supplies as you need food, weapons and fuel. However every player has their own secret agenda: they could be a real team player trying to help everyone or they could be a complete nihilist. One mechanic I really love is the noise mechanic. You can keep searching but it causes noise. This has a 50% chance of drawing an extra zombie every time you make an extra search.

My only gripe is I would have preferred this to be a miniatures game but you just use card standees. If you wanna dive straight in and not have to paint an army of minis this could be a plus for you.

If you like the sound of this game Shut Up and Sit Down do a great review video of it but I would recommend this game. Do I prefer it to LNoE? No but I do love some of the mechanics and darker theme.

I would rate this game 8/10
12-17-2020, 10:02 PM
I liked the base game well enough. I feel like the expansions were half-cocked and poorly implemented. Don't get me wrong, I liked the concept of competing camps, but man was the implementation poor.
12-18-2020, 06:38 PM
(12-17-2020 10:02 PM)SenorOneandDone Wrote:  I liked the base game well enough. I feel like the expansions were half-cocked and poorly implemented. Don't get me wrong, I liked the concept of competing camps, but man was the implementation poor.

I fully agree. I now have the original too (managed to get it cheap because I wanted more characters). I thought the Raxxon module was particularly poorly implemented. I think I'll take that module out in future games.
12-21-2020, 03:19 PM
That's unfortunate. I'v been wanting that Raxxon for a while now. Maybe I can get it cheap if enough people hate it Zombie03
12-26-2020, 06:09 PM
(12-21-2020 03:19 PM)BigDumbYak Wrote:  That's unfortunate. I'v been wanting that Raxxon for a while now. Maybe I can get it cheap if enough people hate it Zombie03
There is a Raxxon scenario in the DoW game, not to be confused with the seperate and different Raxxon game.
01-04-2021, 03:11 PM
(12-26-2020 06:09 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 03:19 PM)BigDumbYak Wrote:  That's unfortunate. I'v been wanting that Raxxon for a while now. Maybe I can get it cheap if enough people hate it Zombie03
There is a Raxxon scenario in the DoW game, not to be confused with the seperate and different Raxxon game.

Yeah, this is what I assumed everyone was talking about.
Still want it. Watchmen02
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/231197/raxxon
01-04-2021, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2021 06:43 PM by Achtung Panzer.)
(01-04-2021 03:11 PM)BigDumbYak Wrote:  
(12-26-2020 06:09 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  

Yeah, this is what I assumed everyone was talking about.
Still want it. Watchmen02
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/231197/raxxon

Yep, that's the one - I have it. Quite a good quick game that requires more tatctical thought that at first it seems. You get two new DoW characters too