Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Descent 2e
01-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Descent 2e
Just got Descent 2e for Christmas (it's really not a surprise when you tell your wife what you want and then she is not sure which to buy, due to all of the expansions so you end up purchasing it yourself. She did wrap it for me after the UPS guy dropped it off though). I really enjoy playing this game. If any of you are interested in a game that is set up like LNOE but in a fantasy setting, I would say this is pretty similar.

Each scenario has an objective for the heroes to complete before the Overlord completes his objective. It's a lot of running into a dungeon and grabbing an item then fighting your way back out. I really enjoy it so far, even though I am still pulling my punches as the Overlord to make it possible for my family to compete. If not, this game would be impossible for the heroes I think. It is a very unforgiving strategy game.

Sometimes dead... is better
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2014, 11:02 AM
RE: Descent 2e
Enjoy, I never picked Descent 1 or 2 as it requires the OL as an active player & we're more into co-op dungeon crawls.
The Game does look cool set up & the figs. are nice, I believe they are the same scale as FFG BattleLore 2e which I got
for Christmas (well it come a few days after-love you FedEx) & both Games use the same Game World.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
01-02-2014, 03:57 PM
I have this game and it's fun. I think it needed a bit of house rules to make the overlord have more teeth. I guess I'm used to LNOE and the players really having to try to get the win.
01-03-2014, 12:46 PM
I have it for a few weeks too and am impressed.

I played it about 5 times now and I think they improved a lot compared to the negative issues I experienced with Descent 1.

Not so many models as Descent 1 but still enough and the new Heroes are incredibly detailed (imo they can compete with any metal models I know).

- The rules are a bit easier
- The scenarios are much shorter (about an hour for one part - most scenarios have two parts)
- Imo the game is quite balanced. Not easy for the heroes of course (should'nt be too easy, should it?)
- Equipment is not of such an importance as it was in D1
01-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Personally I find it lacks a bit but at least I can get people to play it. I really just want to play ad&d but that's a hard sell.
01-03-2014, 08:14 PM
I have Descent 1st addition plus a couple of expansions. I just wish the designers had play tested it enough first time around. Insane19

I'm glad they've fixed it and I did really enjoy painting the miniatures from it. I know there's a conversion kit around but it does involve buying D2 as well. That's a big ask for me. Especially as I haven't painted all the minis from Descent yet.

Cool christmas present though. It takes me back to a few christmas' ago...

01-04-2014, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 12:28 AM by Old Dwarf.)
Sam, think of the $ you save when Hero Quest KS went down the tubes, that should cover Descent 2.

Speak of the Devil FFG is doing a Descent 2 Co-Op variant:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_n...?eidn=4582 It's for retailers Game Kits now
but FFG will do a PnD Version later this year.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
01-04-2014, 01:54 PM
@Samurai: D2 costs around €55,-
With D1 and the conversion kit (€22.-) you'll have loads and loads of monsters and heroes to choose from. Considering painting: As far as I looked over the conversion kit you'll only need a maximum of 4 monsters + 1 Elite per monster class. Maybe that helps ;-)
At the moment it's one of my top three board games.
01-04-2014, 06:35 PM
(01-01-2014 06:04 PM)SavageHenry82 Wrote:  Just got Descent 2e for Christmas (it's really not a surprise when you tell your wife what you want and then she is not sure which to buy, due to all of the expansions so you end up purchasing it yourself. She did wrap it for me after the UPS guy dropped it off though)..

your wife must be related to mine.

I have a birthday in late november ( 27 ). and on the 20th, the wife said.. " go get on my amazon account and order yourself something for your birthday and christmas" Watchmen02

I got some zombie games. and yeah.. she wrapped them after they came in. Watchmen02

hey. I'm happy.

no tie and sweater and socks... Watchmen02
01-05-2014, 04:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 04:17 AM by samuraitrev.)
(01-04-2014 12:26 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Sam, think of the $ you save when Hero Quest KS went down the tubes, that should cover Descent 2.

OD

You make a good caseWatchmen02

(01-04-2014 01:54 PM)spiritusXmachina Wrote:  @Samurai: D2 costs around €55,-
With D1 and the conversion kit (€22.-) you'll have loads and loads of monsters and heroes to choose from. Considering painting: As far as I looked over the conversion kit you'll only need a maximum of 4 monsters + 1 Elite per monster class. Maybe that helps ;-)
At the moment it's one of my top three board games.

I think I will give Descent 2 a chance in the future. I do love the concept.