Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Difficulty?
03-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Difficulty?
I've never attempted to paint miniatures, but with how wonderfully designed the rest of LNoE is, I want the figures to have the same great look.

So I'd like to know, how difficult is it to do a single figure? How many coats does it take? Will the brushwork look sloppy and streaked if you're not a professional at this? How long does it take (on average) to complete a single figure? Is it something that a first time model painter can do and get satisfied results?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2009, 04:23 AM
RE: Difficulty?
You will want to prime the figures before you paint them. That helps the paint stick to them. I painted my figures and it took me forever to do it. But I'm a perfectionist. I don't use oil based paints I use acrylic paints. Model paints work best as they cover nicely but do so with a thin coat. You should only have to use one coat. There are some on this board that are WAYYY better painters than I am. Perhaps they'll chime in...

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2009, 10:04 AM
One very important piece of advice is to wash your miniatures in warm soapy water first and then dry them thoroughly before priming them. This is to wash of the residue left on them from the moulding process.

I use Vallejo Paints, which are available on Ebay as well as in hobby shops. Obviously not sure if you can get them in Japan. Here is a link to the site: Vallejo

They also do Inks as well which you use as a wash for "shadow".

The painting process I use is prime the mini, then use a base colour (say "flesh" for a face), then use an Ink wash lightly applied this will go into the creases to create shadow and then I dry-brush a lighter coat of the base colour, this picks up the highlights such as the cheek or nose if a face.

Dry-brushing is when you lightly dip your brush in the paint and then wipe of most of it with a cloth, leaving a "dry" coat on the brush, which you then lightly brush over the area.

If you have a look around the net there are a number of step-by-step guides to help you.

The other important thing to remember, after you have finished painting, is to varnish your mini, with a clear varnish. This will protect the mini during game play!

Good luck and enjoy yourself, n107!
03-03-2009, 01:12 AM
n107 Wrote:So I'd like to know, how difficult is it to do a single figure? How many coats does it take? Will the brushwork look sloppy and streaked if you're not a professional at this? How long does it take (on average) to complete a single figure? Is it something that a first time model painter can do and get satisfied results?

The only way to learn to paint figs is to paint figs.Sounds
obvious but its true.The more you paint the better you get
through experience.You might want to try painting some
practice figs if you have some spares around.

Actually with figs the size of the FFP ones painting is very
forgiving.Use good paints Vallejo,GW or Armor & you'll
find the coverage is good.1 Coat will do it unless your
doing yellow.If you use a black undercoat you'll need to paint
light colors sections gray & then the lighter shade.

Time wise is hard to say as it depends on the size,detail
& color scheme of the fig.I can knock out 20-36 20mm figs
in about 9 days.

For good results break up your painting into logical
segments.Paint from the inside out skin,pants,shirts,
coats,weapons,hair(or however your comfortable) ,just
be consident & don't jump around.Paint each color cleanly
& remember if you paint over another color by mistake
its easy to go back & touch up.

To really make your fig look good you'll need to do a
little shading & highlighting as they make the fig come to life.
I'm painting some 20mm Feudal Inf.they have a dark green
tunic...the green is so dark(GE Dark Angel Green)it doesn't need
shading but needs a highlight-which is just a lighter shade of green along the garmet edges & raised areas like over the knees.Usually just a couple of brush strokes will do the job,
for large areas you can dry brush (dip the brush in paint then
with a paper napkin go over the brush like your cleaning it.
This removes most of the paint but leaves enough to highlight
when you brush it over the fig.Note this is hard on the brush
I usually keep an old brush around to dry brush with.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
03-03-2009, 03:24 PM
I guess the reason I liked LNoE right away is that I didn't have to paint and assemble the minis.

I've got tons of games where I need to assemble and paint, and I'm so slow at it I never get to play the game.

Those above folks have given you some great tips, and depending how far you want to take you can check out a web site where I'm a moderator, Cool Mini Or Not.

http://www.coolminiornot.com

Of course, some of the stuff on there makes me feel like a preschooler trying to put stuff in the Louvre....

But, the tutorial section is fantastic, for all levels:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article
03-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Cool Site SV.....I was going to join but it is seems
they already have a member going by Old Dwarf Insane19

I guess I could go by another username but it just seems wrong:rolleyes:

OD

03-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Looks like he hasn't been active for a while....but he's got a rather large gallery. Otherwise, I'd zap him and you could have the name!
03-04-2009, 07:47 PM
supervike Wrote:Looks like he hasn't been active for a while....but he's got a rather large gallery. Otherwise, I'd zap him and you could have the name!

No problem I can always be Really Old DwarfZombie03

OD

10-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Dipping Wuss:P.

Seriously I've never dipped (then again I still haven't painted
my AToE & LNoE figs:rolleyes: )

I use GW paints ,yes they cost more but lets face it
you don't use much.Vallejo paints do get good reviews.

So here's some useful info on primers-spray primers
are so much easier to use & frankly Kraylon is cheap
& I find it superior.

Color is a matter of preference (each color has its supporters)
I use Black it provides shading & gives the figs a dark gritty
look,which I find very realistic.If your painting white/yello over
it you may want to paint grey first & then white.

White will produce a brighter finish (warning some colors
do not go over white well-red & yellow)

Grey is a good compromise it handles all colors without
the problems with the other colors as noted above..

OD

10-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Alright, I was in the same position as the OP a little over a week ago but I decided to just take the plunge.

For me, I wanted to just make them look as nice as possible for as little money as possible. I don't know whether you are interested in making some great works of art or not, but I just wanted nice-looking miniatures.

I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up several $0.99 acryllic craft paints. You know the basics (celery green, brown, blue, etc). Then I also got some of the fake grass they have in the train section for the bases. (Woodland Scenic burnt grass I believe). Then I went to Wal-Mart and picked up the cheapest can of generic grey spray primer and then I splurged on the Krylon matte finish.

I primed the miniatures (very lightly though, so as not to lose the detail of the figures). After that dried I just got to painting the main colors and didn't worry too much about the more advanced techniques like dry-brushing.

When all of that was dry, I used the dip technique, but I brushed on the wood stain so I would have more control over the surface coverage. After that dried I brushed on some Elmer's Glue onto the bases, applied the grass, and then sealed it with the matte finish.

All in all, the miniatures certainly don't look like they were professionally done, but I am more than happy with the results. For someone who had never painted anything like this, I would say the results are actually pretty good. To the OP I would say go for it, if you end up not liking the finished product, there's always paint thinner.