Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Discovered that I do not like working from home.
08-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Discovered that I do not like working from home.
Some visitors were coming in to my work, and we are unfortunately very limited on free space on my floor at the moment. So, a few of us were asked to work from home for a few days.

Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVE that I have the ability to work from home. It would definitely be something that could be extremely helpful to utilize when needed.

But, after doing it for a couple days, I am finding that I really don't like it. Now, obviously part of that is because of my current home situation. So, if we ever have similar temporary space issues in the future, it won't be quite as much of a nuisance once I have a place of my own. But, I honestly am just finding I don't like it in general. I can't exactly explain why. It just sort of makes me feel a little disconnected, or something. Not to mention, it is a lot easier to participate in meetings when you can actually be there in person, rather than struggling to listen from your crappy cell phone reception LOL!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2013, 01:10 AM
RE: Discovered that I do not like working from home.
I would have a hard time actually working haha
08-15-2013, 12:24 AM
I tried doing some work at home, but geez it's so hard to be productive. At home, there's always something else that I'd rather do instead of work.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-15-2013, 12:33 AM
In my job it would be impossible, but I'd love to work from home, because I hate working with people. Insane20

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
08-15-2013, 05:26 AM
I would love to telecommute (it would save me more than 2 hours a day on the road) but the drunk morons will probably not follow my instructions over the phone..."put some handcuffs on and march yourself down to the jail".

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
08-15-2013, 02:00 PM
I've been working from home for about 4 years now. It took a lot of getting used to. It's very easy to get sidetracked with everyday tasks like dishes or laundry or general cleaning duties. There's always something to do around the house. That still is hard to deal with.

One of the worst problems I have is nobody considers what I do as work. They think that I'm available to do things at a moment's notice. "Go to the store." "Come over and visit us." That kind of stuff. When I tell them that I have to work, I get the "Seriously?!" look.

It does have its benefits at times though.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-17-2013, 01:06 AM
(08-14-2013 01:10 AM)alderdust Wrote:  I would have a hard time actually working haha

(08-15-2013 12:24 AM)LabRat Wrote:  I tried doing some work at home, but geez it's so hard to be productive. At home, there's always something else that I'd rather do instead of work.

LOL! Well, that isn't a problem for me at all. If I have work to do, I do my work. Actually, that is part of the problem here, though. I am still so new at my place, and my boss is so insanely busy, that she hasn't had as much time as we'd like to pull me in on all the various crap I am going to do in my position on a regular basis. So, I actually sort of don't always have a full day of work to do. I feel bad enough with that when I am actually physically there. But, when I am at home and don't necessarily have a full day of work each and every day, it feels a little crappy. Though, at least for once I can say that it seems like I WILL be a busy SOB in time, it will just take time to get me integrated to all my daily tasks. But... only time will tell for sure.

(08-15-2013 12:33 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  In my job it would be impossible, but I'd love to work from home, because I hate working with people. Insane20

Well, I hate people in general. LOL! But, I am definitely able to forget that in the workplace. You know... except for when I have to deal with idiots. ;-)

(08-15-2013 05:26 AM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  I would love to telecommute (it would save me more than 2 hours a day on the road) but the drunk morons will probably not follow my instructions over the phone..."put some handcuffs on and march yourself down to the jail".

Yeah, they'd have to be some pretty honest criminals... which is almost an oxymoron. LOL!

(08-15-2013 02:00 PM)Sarku Wrote:  I've been working from home for about 4 years now. It took a lot of getting used to. It's very easy to get sidetracked with everyday tasks like dishes or laundry or general cleaning duties. There's always something to do around the house. That still is hard to deal with.

One of the worst problems I have is nobody considers what I do as work. They think that I'm available to do things at a moment's notice. "Go to the store." "Come over and visit us." That kind of stuff. When I tell them that I have to work, I get the "Seriously?!" look.

It does have its benefits at times though.

You know... I won't turn this into another thread about my crappy ex-wife. So, all I will say on the topic is that would SOOOOO be her if I were still with her and I worked from home on a regular basis. Hell, when we were still together, she used to expect me to drop everything when I was at work. She would text me and ask me to log into her e-mail and print something for her, and then get mad if I didn't do it right away, or God forbid I be so busy... you know... doing the work I am actually PAID TO DO that I didn't have time to print her crap.

But, let's get off that topic. LOL! I can imagine people would be like that. Quite frankly a lot of jobs in this day and age could just as easily be done primarily from home. Heck, a lot of companies have offices all over the country (all over the globe in my case) so often the people you work with have to communicate with you via phone call or e-mail anyway.
08-19-2013, 02:05 AM
(08-17-2013 01:06 AM)StayPuft Wrote:  
(08-15-2013 12:33 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  In my job it would be impossible, but I'd love to work from home, because I hate working with people. Insane20

Well, I hate people in general. LOL! But, I am definitely able to forget that in the workplace. You know... except for when I have to deal with idiots. ;-)

Well...that's what I was getting at, but I was, y'know, attempting to be nice at least. Watchmen02

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
08-21-2013, 02:31 AM
(08-19-2013 02:05 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  

Well...that's what I was getting at, but I was, y'know, attempting to be nice at least. Watchmen02

No need to sugar coat it with me. I'm right there with you. ;-) I think Dr. Cox said it best. People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.
08-21-2013, 06:00 PM
(08-21-2013 02:31 AM)StayPuft Wrote:  
(08-19-2013 02:05 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  

No need to sugar coat it with me. I'm right there with you. ;-) I think Dr. Cox said it best. People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.

[Image: smiley-laughing024.gif]

I love it. I don't remember who said it first, but I'm fond of saying "Some time people just ain't no damn good." Not funny, but simple. And true.