Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Disney buys Marvel Comics
09-01-2009, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2009 07:26 PM by Patient Zero.)
Disney buys Marvel Comics
With Disney now owning both Marvel Comics and Hensen Productions the implications are obvious. The next X-men movie can be done with an all muppet cast!

Wolverine: Animal
Phoenix: Miss Piggy
Toad: Kermit the Frog
Professor X: Statlor and Waldorf
Sabertooth: Sweet 'Ums
Beast: Ralph (just dye blue...)
Storm: Jo-jo the Dancing Bear (I figure since this is such an archeotype, there will soon be a muppet for this... actually I just wanted to pull Gavindowning into this. I don't want to be the only one involved in this madness)

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2009, 07:29 PM
RE: Disney buys Marvel Comics
Groan.

I'm guessing it might be a "fine" move. As long as there isn't any Disney/Marvel crossover shenanigans...

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2009, 07:44 PM
We'll finally see the official Spider Man/Mickey Mouse gay affair of my dreams!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2009, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2009 11:35 PM by SPARTAN VI.)
Hate to be a purist, but I was a decent X-Men fan as a kid. That said, totally disgusted with the circus acts they put together and labeled X-Men (films)... Above everything, they're just not dark enough and never will be without breaking into the R rated realm. I remember the X-Men cartoon and comics (circa 1990) being ridiculously dark, almost twisted for a kid my age to be viewing that material. All of these movies are wishy washy, loaded up on Hollywood til its spewing from the nose, and not at all thought provoking.

Disney has talented writers; they've demonstrated time and time again they know how to construct a proper story arc. BUUUUUUUUT, they cannot make X-Men dark; not the type of dark that the purists are looking for, anyway.

And it goes without saying that this pretty much applies to every other Marvel film adaptation.
09-02-2009, 02:56 AM
DID SOMEONE SAY JOJO THE DANCING BEAR?! *flails in excitement like Kermit*

....okay, that aside? I actually am not foreseeing major changes to Marvel. If they do anything, they might crack down more on anything they see as a threat to their copyrights, but that's about it.
09-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Gooferine? How did you find that? It just seems like you folks were alittle too prepared for this subject...

To be honest, I stopped reading Marvel comic in the late '80s after the Secret Wars II cross over story line that made you buy all the comics Marvel was producing to keep up with a plot that may have change everything in the Marvel Universe, but was at the same time a very poor story. I read alot of Vertigo, Dark Horse and Slave Labour Graphics and on the very rare occasion New England Comics (the rarity more only because they let out a 4 issue Tick series every other year at best...). Most of my current understanding is from the cartoons and to a lesser degree the movies (which though entertaining were more dealing with one side or the other trying to commit genicide and not some of the deeper stories I remember from the book and the cartoons.

That being said:

Would Walt Disney be abusing his power if he took the role of the Iceman for himself? He's not technically a muppet but I'm sure we can fix that with some wires and a thawed out hole in his backside.

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
09-02-2009, 03:56 AM
SPARTAN VI Wrote:Hate to be a purist, but I was a decent X-Men fan as a kid. That said, totally disgusted with the circus acts they put together and labeled X-Men (films)... Above everything, they're just not dark enough and never will be without breaking into the R rated realm. I remember the X-Men cartoon and comics (circa 1990) being ridiculously dark, almost twisted for a kid my age to be viewing that material. All of these movies are wishy washy, loaded up on Hollywood til its spewing from the nose, and not at all thought provoking.

Disney has talented writers; they've demonstrated time and time again they know how to construct a proper story arc. BUUUUUUUUT, they cannot make X-Men dark; not the type of dark that the purists are looking for, anyway.

And it goes without saying that this pretty much applies to every other Marvel film adaptation.
I remenber that show it was Epic.

I choose to live in a state of denial...
09-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Ryuk Wrote:
Patient Zero Wrote:Gooferine? How did you find that?

Also loved that X-Men cartoon from the 90's. Has to be one of the best.

I actually really liked the X-men cartoon from 4 or 5 years ago where everyone was kids except Wolverine and Storm, but I've alway been a big Brotherhood of Evil Mutants fan, especially Avalanche and Pyro. (The first comic I bought after The Micronauts was the X-men 140, right before the start of the Days of Future's Past story line and the introduction of the new Brotherhood.

In regards to Wolverine, when I saw it, I felt that it was at best really a fan vehical. If you're really a fan, you'll like it but if your not you'll be bothered by how they only seem to touch on the major events in his life with none really focused on enough to impact him. (He seemed to spend his life running from on disaster to another without ever slowing down). I'm not sure if that best describes the problem or not.

I think that Catwoman or Superman Returns could have been saved with either zombies or Jojo the Dancing Bear, but am not sure and wonder what other opinions are out there... I know that Mad Max 4 need to take the post apocalyptic world to zombie land...

09-02-2009, 09:48 PM
ANYTHING can be saved with Jojo the Dancing Bear.
09-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Oh man I can't wait to put Jo Jo into and LNOE game!!!