Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Display your miniatures, check these mothers out!!
12-01-2010, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2010 02:22 PM by samuraitrev.)
Display your miniatures, check these mothers out!!
Ok Sam here! Right you've painted some miniatures or you're a gaming veteran and thinking of getting a display cabinet. I'm sure many of you out there have much better painted figures which are displayed better than mine but check these out anyway. Allow me to be a hospitable host and welcome you to my humble abode...

First off FLOOR STANDING DISPLAY CABINETS:    
There are various types of these cabinets but what you want to really look for is something with glass doors, sides, shelves and possibly with a mirrored back. The more light you can get onto your models the better if you have say wooden or metal sides/shelves you are not going to see great results from all your hard work.
If possible get one with a light fitted    
Or optionally fit one yourself if you've got the skills. (If in doubt don't risk getting 3'000'000 volts through you Insane19 )

This one was quite good value from a UK company called Argos for about £100 but with a little look around you can probably get better value (Ikia maybe?)
One point to bear in mind if you overcrowd your top shelf (which is what I did initially) you will cut off a lot of the light to the shelves below.

WALL MOUNTED DISPLAY SHELVES

Check out these two bad boys!

These are my personal favorites fit these to your walls using rawlplugs as your models and the doors being open is a suprising amount of weight.

Again use glass shelves. An option could be to fit those lights that you see fitted over mounted canvas paintings in museums, but it's something I may look into in the future. Have a look around your local area for cabinet makers. I had these made by a cabinet maker for £80 pricey maybe but if you can find the money your models will be in pride of place in any part of your home. Many visitors have a good look at them before they disappear forever.

CARRY CASES
Not for display but another tool to protect your pride and joys

These are by GW and can be used to transport your models but with a little imagination you could make your own or find a cheaper alternative. The last thing you want to do is put your painted models back into the box once painted. The paintwork will be ruined in no time.
The skull in this photo I painted too! His name is Karlen. Kudos to any ubergeeks who can tell me where that name comes from...

Just to fill you in what I'm up to. I'm painting 6 Sorcerers from the game Descent. If you liked Heroquest or advanced heroquest you will love this, check it out.
1) I'm thinking of doing a guide on how to completely remove paint from your old metal models so you can paint them again
2) Zombie painting guide (rotten bloodless grey with rigor mortis flesh rather than the generic green).
3) I may post pictures of my old collection of painted metal GW zombies. I cringe to look at them now but there are some hilarious figs.

As always comments/question welcome
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2010, 11:34 AM
RE: Display your miniatures, check these mothers out!!
Sam...you make me ashamed of my plastic shoe boxes of housed figs.hidden away on the 3rd Floor.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
12-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Truly classy displays. I love 'em. I used to have all of mine on one bookshelf, forever frozen in a huge battle of Good vs Evil! Now they are in a recently exhumed wooden box I got down from storage in order to pull new baddies (and maybe goodies) for LNOE expansions.
12-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Class act man, truely!

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2011, 11:56 PM
wow, wish I could be at this stage, with such a collection. Anyway, it gave me a good idea to put my figures in my display cases instead of the minerals and fossils currently there since ages!
07-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Well, if I was reborn a cat I'd be sitting in the bottom right corner of your 4th picture thinking, hey drop the camera and let's play with these beauties. Watchmen02

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-24-2012, 11:43 AM
(07-24-2012 07:05 AM)SherrBurke Wrote:  Hey Bence,
I'm a new member of this forum and I'm so happy that I've got this awesome community and i know this is my first post and it's not the introduction area .......

SB welcome to TZG

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
07-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Samuraitrev doesn't get tired of amazing people (people being mere mortals as the rest of us LOL)! Quite an impressive work you've done there!

hey scarydk, I totally agree with your feline point of view!!! =D