Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you see any balance issues with these custom heros?
08-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Do you see any balance issues with these custom heros?
I'm making custom heros of myself and my regular gaming friends. So far I have four mocked up, but I wanted to see if any of you can spot any balance issues (too good or too bad) or possible hacks or exploits with their abbilities.

Tom (Wound Dead)

"Look Tom, Rocks!" - When outside Tom may instead of using a ranged weapon throw a rock at a zombie, with a range of 2, killing the zombie on a 6+. In order to use this ability another hero must yell "Look Tom, Rocks!"

"Why do you even have that?" - Tom starts the game with the flaregun

"Coprophilia" - When Tom rolls a movement of 2 he may also pick up a baseball bat from the hero discard pile.

"Youth"

Kara (Wound Dead)

"Asian, bad at math" - Kara may subtract one from one of her own fight dice in order to make doubles.

"Sideways" - May enter or exit a building on a diagonal

"Youth"

Leigh (Wound Wound Dead)

"Loves dogs" - Starts with Ole Bessy Card

"Looks like she's going to cry" - Instead of being discarded ole Bessy is always shuffled back into the Hero Deck when Leigh is in the game

"Bachelors in Psychology" - Does nothing

"Masters in Business" - When searching Leigh may draw the top two hero cards, keeping one and discarding the other.

Matt (Wound Wound Dead)

"Dictating" - On a roll of 2+ Matt may give up his own turn to control another Hero giving them a second turn instead (including reusing their ranged weapon). In the event that this causes another hero to take a wound Matt also takes a wound. Also, if Matt causes another hero to lose a weapon Matt takes a wound (punched by other player). Matt must resolve fights at the end of his turn with all zombies in his space as well as the space of the controlled hero.

"Infurriating Arrogance" - Zombies must move toward Matt within a range of two.

"Engineer" - Instead of searching may take the most recently discarded hero card
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2012, 08:17 PM
RE: Do you see any balance issues with these custom heros?
Thats what Im concerned about myself.
Im very interested in custom heroes but I dont want to overdo it and ruin game balance.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
What i would change

Tom (Wound Dead)

"Look Tom, Rocks!" - When outside Tom may as a ranged attack: Throw a rock at a zombie, with Range 2, killing the zombie on a 6+. In order to use this ability another hero must yell "Look Tom, Rocks!"

"Why do you even have that?" - Tom starts the game with the flaregun

"Coprophilia" - When Tom rolls a movement of 2 he may also pick up a baseball bat from the hero discard pile. (Too strong... maybe remove it)

"Youth"

Kara (Wound Dead) (Feels ok!)

"Asian, bad at math" - Kara may subtract one from one of her own fight dice in order to make doubles.

"Youth"

Leigh (Wound Wound Dead)

"Looks like she's going to cry" - Instead of being discarded old Bessy is always shuffled back into the Hero Deck when Leigh is in the game

"Bachelors in Psychology" - Does nothing (Eliminate this one and convert it into the Medical Keyword)

"Masters in Business" - When searching if Leigh rolled 4+ to movement, she may draw the top two hero cards, keeping one and discarding the other. (Too strong with the other 2 abilities.)

Matt (Wound Wound Dead)

"Dictating" - On a roll of 2+ Matt may give up his own turn to control another Hero giving them a second turn instead (including reusing their ranged weapon). In the event that this causes another hero to take a wound Matt also takes a wound. Also, if Matt causes another hero to lose a weapon Matt takes a wound (punched by other player). Matt must resolve fights at the end of his turn with all zombies in his space as well as the space of the controlled hero. (INCREDIBLY LONG) Rewording attempt:

Dictating - Matt may give up his turn (except fight phase) to on the roll of 2+, activate again another hero. If the activated hero takes a wound or loses an item Matt takes a wound.

"Infurriating Arrogance" - Zombies must move toward Matt within a range of two. (Too strong with all other stuff cooking on this one, reconsider)

"Engineer" - Instead of searching may take the most recently discarded hero card (Not too good since the discard piles are browsable... But can work)

A good measure for the power of a weapon is how cool it looks...
08-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Ogthar I'll help you with this tomorrow. I'm on a PS3 at the moment with no keyboardInsane19
08-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks, jOhnn. I really appreciate the rewording of dictating, I knew what I wanted it to do, but your wording is much better and not vague like I was fearing if I shortened it.

I was afraid I was making them all too strong, but needed to hear what.
08-15-2012, 12:23 PM
The trouble with to many abilities is that even if they're weak... lots of then added makes the character even stronger than a character with a solid ability...

Glad i could help... looking forward on a update about those heroes later on.

A good measure for the power of a weapon is how cool it looks...
08-15-2012, 01:37 PM
"Cocrophilia" is a bit too good, but then again it is only the discard pile... Might work.

I think Kara is a really well balanced and interesting character.

I agree with j0hnn about Leigh (however, Old Betsy not going to the discard pile might be a bad thing, but nice flavour).

"Dictating" - Matt may give up his turn (except fight phase) to on the roll of 2+, activate again another hero. If the activated hero takes a wound or loses an item during this turn, Matt takes a wound.

"Infurriating Arrogance" - Zombies must move toward Matt within a range of two. Way too strong, especially combined with Dictating.

"Engineer" - Instead of searching may take the most recently discarded hero card (I think this is a good usable skill).

Cheerio,
ST

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
08-15-2012, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2012 05:29 PM by samuraitrev.)
Tom (Wound, Dead)
Look Tom, Rocks! - When outside Tom may throw a rock as a Ranged Weapon. Range 2. Any Zombie is Hit on a 6+.
Why do you even have that? - Tom starts the game with the Signal Flare.
Youth

Kara (Wound, Dead)
Bad at Math - Kara may subtract 1 from one of her own Fight Dice in order to make doubles.
Sideways - May enter or exit a building on a diagonal.
Youth

Leigh (Wound, Wound, Dead)
Loves Dogs - Starts the game with the Old Betsy Card.
Looks Like She's Going to Cry - Instead of being discarded Old Betsy is always shuffled back into the Hero Deck when Leigh is in the game.
Masters in Business - When Searching Leigh may Draw the top two Hero Cards, keeping one and Discarding the other. (Same as Resourceful)

Matt (Wound, Wound, Dead)
Dictating - On a roll of 1 for Movement, Matt may give up his own Turn to control another Hero. The other Hero player must agree.
Infuriating Arrogance - Zombies must move toward Matt when deciding for Zombie Hunger.
Engineer - Instead of Searching may take a random card from the Discard Pile. There must be at least 2.
08-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I think that I'm going to go ahead and playtest these as follows:

Tom (Wound Dead)

"Look Tom, Rocks!" - When outside Tom may instead of using a ranged weapon throw a rock at a zombie, with a range of 2, killing the zombie on a 6+. In order to use this ability another hero must yell "Look Tom, Rocks!"

"Coprophilia" - When outside or in a bathroom if Tom rolls a movement of 2 he may also pick up a baseball bat from the hero discard pile.

"Youth"

<<<I'm willing to give up some balance in order to preserve what I think are the funnier jokes. I think that having the flaregun is way more unbalanced that I first thought because of the chance of having the aircraft hanger on the board, so I removed that. I added "when outside or in a bathroom" to Coprophilia (there aren't bathrooms that I know of, but it adds flavor)>>>

Kara (Wound Dead)

"Youth"

<<<Everyone seems to think she's balanced, so I'm going to go with it>>>

Leigh (Wound Wound Dead)

"Looks like she's going to cry" - Instead of being discarded ole Bessy is always shuffled back into the Hero Deck when Leigh is in the game

"Bachelors in Psychology" - Does nothing

"Masters in Business" - When Searching, if Leigh rolled 4+ to movement, Leigh may Draw the top two Hero Cards, keeping one and Discarding the other.

<<<Changed the wording to match Resourseful more closely and added the 4+ jOhnnn suggested. I'm keeping in the bachelors in psycology because that's the joke we make all the time on why she had to go back to school to get a degree that she can use.>>>

Matt (Wound Wound Dead)

"Dictating" - Matt may give up his turn (except fight phase) to on the roll of 2+, reactivate another hero. If the activated hero takes a wound or loses an item Matt takes a wound.

"Infurriating Arrogance" - Zombies must move toward Matt when deciding for Zombie Hunger.

<<<Removed Engineer, not funny anyway and Matt is the most overpowered. I also changed arrogance as samuraitrev suggested. May have taken away too much, but hopefully we will see this weekend.>> >

Thanks Guys.
08-16-2012, 03:39 AM
Fun characters, Ogthar!

I particularly like that someone has to yell "Look Tom, rocks!" and then he can throw one. Very funny.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War