Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: Do you play the soundtrack when you play LNOE?
Every time
If my group will let me
Sometimes
Never
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you use the soundtrack when you play?
07-31-2012, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2012 09:44 PM by StayPuft.)
Do you use the soundtrack when you play?
When I first learned about this game, the friends who introduced us to it only mentioned AFTER we played that there was actually a soundtrack too. When I heard that, I LOVED the idea. When I finally got the game, I LOVED the soundtrack, and loved playing the game while it plays in the background.

I found it funny, though, that nobody else seems to share my sentiment. A lot of the reviews I have seen seem to prefer to skip the soundtrack. Every time I see anybody here mention it, it seems to be in saying that they don't like it and play without it.

In my gaming group, we never seem to play with it. It's funny, but I can't quite get it. Why doesn't anybody seem to like the soundtrack? LOL! I love it! Am I the only one?

I mean, could the music be better? Sure. But, we could also just not get a sound track at all. How many board games give you a soundtrack? I think it adds nicely to the atmosphere of the game. What does everybody else think? Do you play with the soundtrack, or not?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2012, 10:06 PM
RE: Do you use the soundtrack when you play?
I think it depends on who we're playing with. If we're introducing more casual gamers to the game we tend to leave it out, but for a more experienced group we would definitely use it! I generally prefer the AToE soundtrack though, I think the Victorian feel of the game is more easily captured with music than the zombie apocalypse feel of LNoE.
08-01-2012, 04:49 AM
The LNOE soundtrack is alright. I looked elsewhere for creepy music and (as I mentioned in an earlier thread) found Nox Arcana who has some great stuff. So I was playing every time with Nox Arcana until my youngest one had nightmares and told me it was because the music was too scary...

So no music for now...we will revisit it when he gets older. Watchmen02

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
08-01-2012, 05:57 AM
We have used it a few times, overall no one seems to really dig it. I was thinking of grabbing the Special Edition thats on FFP's webstore. Anyone know what the two exclusive cards are, are they worth the price tag on the se soundtrack
08-01-2012, 06:56 AM
No, never. We tried it once, but laughed so hard we had to turn it off...

We play with music, but I left that CD somewhere and forgot where. Never going to play it again, to be honest.
08-01-2012, 09:51 AM
(08-01-2012 05:57 AM)jimbal Wrote:  We have used it a few times, overall no one seems to really dig it. I was thinking of grabbing the Special Edition thats on FFP's webstore. Anyone know what the two exclusive cards are, are they worth the price tag on the se soundtrack

- Hero Card: Guitar which mimics Sally's ability Lucky. Rock On!
- Zombie Card: Dance of the Dead which mimics the Zombie Card Rotten Bodies.

If you enjoy the original CD, it's definitely worth getting your rotten hands on.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2012, 11:17 AM
We listened a couple times but it just became background music and after the first couple of songs you are so into the game you forget it's on.
08-01-2012, 11:21 AM
I didn't care for the CD at first, mostly due to the percussion on it. After playing ATOE and loving its soundtrack, I gave the LNOE one a second chance, and now I like it too (though ATOE is the best, IMHO). We probably use it at least half the time now. Whatever we use is usually turned so low that it does't matter much anyway, but it is cool if there is a brief silence during play, and the music happens the be perfect for the situation. I voted "If my buddies will let me." Zombie13
08-01-2012, 01:30 PM
It's a great B horror score but it's way to short, so even if you do put it on, you'll either need to put it on repeat or change the CD after a couple of game turns. The soundtrack reminds me a bit of the score from Lucio Fulci's Zombi. A bit annoying at times but mostly fun. Watchmen02

However, for a game like LNoE I prefer something more creepy or epic in style.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Glad to see a few others agree with me. ;-) When it comes to playing with friends on my own, I am going to start insisting we use it. LOL! I mean, unless for any reason somebody dislikes it enough that they think it would ruin their experience. I can't see why you'd find it THAT distracting, though.

As for my game nights at the local comic shop, I wish we'd use it, but I won't press it. For one thing, they played it overhead for us the first time, and it was too quiet to be worthwhile. I also brought my CD player the first couple of times, but find it to be a bit of a pain in the butt to carry the game AND my CD player. So, I wish we would use it, but I won't press it there.

(08-01-2012 11:17 AM)alderdust Wrote:  We listened a couple times but it just became background music and after the first couple of songs you are so into the game you forget it's on.

Actually, that is one thing I will say. Then again, I think that would probably wind up being the case no matter what soundtrack you used. You could probably load up a soundtrack of all your favorite songs ever and you would probably stop noticing the music after a while. After all, you aren't playing the game to listen to music, you are playing the game to play the game. So, I definitely agree with you there. As much as I wish I noticed the music, it does kind of disappear into my subconscious other than randomly here and there. LOL! Still, I love to play with it. I think it really helps the feel of the game, even if you kinda don't notice other than here and there.