Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Doc Brody's Memoirs
02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Doc Brody's Memoirs
Played a couple of games last night and a few things came up that I wasn't sure about, so naturally I made a note of it to ask all of you fine folks.

My first question is about the Unique Item: Doc Brody's Memoirs. The text looks exactly like this:
The Hero may roll an extra Fight Dice against Zombies.

May cancel any Zombie Card that 'Remains in Play' on a Hero in the same or adjacent space. After each use, roll a D6. Breaks on the roll of 1 or 2 (discard).
Now, they put a definite space between those two paragraphs. The fact that the "Breaks on the roll of" line is grouped in with the 2nd paragraph sort of makes it seem like you only check to see if it breaks when canceling a Zombie Card, not when using it to roll an extra Fight Dice. Rolling an extra Fight Dice until you die or until the Zombies manage to cancel the card seemed pretty strong, so we played it that it may break after each use, regardless of which of the two uses is employed. Does this seem right? Has this question come up before? I'll put my other questions in other threads for the sake of organization. Thanks in advance, folks! Watchmen02
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
RE: Doc Brody's Memoirs
I think the gap is there to break up the text and indicate that two distinct abilities are covered by the card.

1) I would say that the hero who found it has the extra fight die for the entire game. That's pretty clear.

2)The ability to cancel friends 'remains in play' is an aditional and seperate use of the memoirs. This may not get to be used much anyway and would the hero want to risk losing that extra fight dice?

It is a strong card but that's what unique items should be.

Short answer: Test to break only when canceling the 'remains in play'.

That's my take anywayWatchmen02
02-28-2011, 08:03 PM
WOW, that was fast! Thanks for the input!
02-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Samurai's got it. When it does break from the cancel, the card goes away. If you're only using the fight dice -- no break.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Agreed with the rest.

Heroes get remembered. Legends never die.
03-01-2011, 05:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2011 08:58 AM by Russ.)
Dang! I kept holding back the 3rd Fight Dice, because it was the "Search For The Truth" scenario and I didn't want to risk losing the only "records" item I had! Then, I was backed into a corner and went ahead and used it, took a wound anyway, and then lost the item to boot! Needless to say, the Heroes lost this one. Say...how exactly do you "break" someone's memoirs anyway?
03-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Papers get ripped? :P

Heroes get remembered. Legends never die.
03-01-2011, 08:59 AM
"Oh no, my memoirs!"
"what happened?"
"they broke!"

LOL!
03-01-2011, 01:26 PM
In attempting to cure "Bitten", he performs a gory procedure on the hero in question. While doing so, the memoirs get soaked and blood and become useless.

While 'curing' someone of "Don't trust 'em", he's using information of the person's past from the memoirs to shock them into being normal. In a final fit of rage or part of negotiation, the memoirs are destroyed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Hmm.. Maybe when the memoirs 'break' the book's been finished and all the secrets therein have been divulged...