Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just Like The Movies!
01-05-2012, 01:32 AM
RE: Just Like The Movies!
"Whenever the zombie player spawns zombies, he may spawn one of his new zombies in the same space as the Star."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 01:33 AM
(01-05-2012 01:25 AM)munkymuddface Wrote:  Also, since the starting Hero is guaranteed to have to Fight before they get a turn, without any effort by the zombie player, they should start the game with a bonus Hero card or two. The ZP doesn't have to move the zombie or use any cards, they can just start the game swinging on the most attainable win condition. The Star Hero has little choice but to run on the first turn, so they don't have the opportunity to search. And if they make it to a building that has a marker, they have just as a good a chance of helping their cause as hindering. Maybe drop the clause that the new found Heroes can't take action until next round? If a Zombie Hero is found, it is not the Zombie Players turn, so they don't miss a turn with it, why should the Heroes have the same disadvantage?

I have to agree with all of the above. Give the star Hero some starting cards and let newly found Heroes get to act immediately. If you feel like this makes the scenario too easy for the Heroes, then you can still make it harder again in other ways that don't screw heroes over so badly on their first turn.
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2012, 02:03 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 02:32 AM by Actinguy1.)
Great feedback, everyone! I just tried another playthrough with some major tweaks, and was much happier with the result.

SCENARIO: Just Like The Movies!

TURNS: 16

SETUP: "Road out of town" board and three other randomly-chosen boards, layed out in the normal pattern.

Heroes randomly choose starting character and place on normal starting position with usual starting gear.

Zombies place ONE zombie on top of starting hero. This is the only zombie to start with. One gameplay begins, zombies spawn like normal.

Use the six number counters. Randomly roll buildings, but do them in order (1 goes in the first rolled building, 2 goes in the second rolled building, etc.) You CAN place number counters on the starting position or buildings that already have number counters...but not CONSECUTIVE numbers. (You can't place number one on the starting building, can't place number 3 on the number 2 building, etc).

HEROES: The starting hero must travel to the 1st building. As soon as you arrive, roll a die. If it's higher than a 1, you get a new randomly chosen hero, who starts with their normal gear plus a hero card.

The starting hero must then get to the second building and repeat the process. ONLY THE STARTING HERO MAY ROLL THE DIE. Other heroes may enter the numbered buildings, but may not roll for the number.

This process repeats for all six buildings, in order. If you roll higher than the number counter, you get a random hero. If you roll lower than the number counter, you get a random zombie hero. If you roll the exact number counter, you stop checking numbered buildings and try to reach the road out of town.

If you make it to the sixth building without matching any numbers, you immediately spawn a random zombie hero on your space. You may then head for the road out of town.

Heroes win if the starting hero gets to the road out of town before time is up.

Zombies win if they prevent the hero from achieving this goal. Killing four heroes is not a win condition. It is only the starting hero that matters.

I was happier with this playthrough. Started with the Sheriff and his pistol in the police station. He was wounded but managed to shoot the zombie. He then had to get to the hospital, which made sense since he was wounded. He took his sweet time getting there (lots of rolled 1s), and in the process, ran out of ammo. He finally busted through the hospital door to find the nurse (random, but fitting!). After some bickering and fending off a ton of zombies, they ran out the back of the hospital to make their way back to the police station (building two), so Sheriff could radio for help. Nurse (using her fire extinguisher) got there first, and made radio contact with an evacuation point. (Rolled a two). The nurse was severely wounded, but made it out of town unharassed from that point on. The sheriff tried to cut through the diner but was attacked by five zombies at once. He became severely wounded but managed to drag himself to the escape route in time!

THOUGHTS: I didn't like the fact that the nurse was the one who matched the number counter, which is why I have now made it so the starting hero must check all the numbers. I also think 16 turns might not be enough. There were only five turns left when the heroes won, and if the nurse hadn't rolled a two, they would have had four more buildings to check. But I liked the results!
Ok, just tried it out one last time tonight. Jenny actually had to fight off TWO zombies due to a surprise attack. She killed one zombie with her bare hands, but was wounded by another and her farmhouse was soon Taken Over. She tried to hide in the cornfield, but a zombie shambled out of the barn and attacked her. She killed it with her bare hands as well, and healed before sprinting across town for the police station. It was abandoned, but a radio broadcast told her to get out of town (rolled a 1). Unfortunately, two dozen zombies had formed a blockade around the police station. She used a fire extinguisher to push them back, but they soon regrouped...and finished her off.

A few more minor tweaks after that playthrough:

1) Number Counter buildings can not be taken over.

2) Scenario Search Item: The first weapon in the draw pile. Events should be shuffled back in.
01-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Interesting results.

It definitely brings a luck vs strategy element into it. With both sides seeing the numbers and the order that the Star Hero must visit the buildings, it gives the zombies a chance to prepare for an assault at one of the mid numbered buildings. However, if the Hero manages to roll a matching number early, they no longer have to hit those mid/late buildings and can run for the Road out of Town space.

Once matching numbers/all number counters visited occurs, Does the Star Hero just have to get to the Road Out of Town, or do they have to survive in that space until the end of the turn. This could be an important clause to the win condition...
01-08-2012, 03:53 AM
I think 16 turns is enough for this scenario. Considering that the Escape in the Truck scenario is only 15, I think it is plenty. It also adds to the frantic nature of this scenario, meaning you need to get stuff done and fast. No time staying in one space for a long time trying to find the item you need to finish the scenario.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I initially had it just so the star hero has to reach the Road Out of Town. I'd consider changing it if you think it's important to do so, as long as we can keep it with the theme.