Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dreams of the Lost Colony
03-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Dreams of the Lost Colony
I figured I would babble on about the Lost Colony...and how I'd envision the expansion and the game system and options.

First, there is the map problem: because the universe of ATOE is getting a bit big for the tables and getting characters from one end to the other. So, I propose two 'half sized' boards full of woods and a few empty locations. These boards would fit the maps as the picture below:

[Image: pyl68uu4ab28z2wzg.jpg]

So.....

The empty spaces on the board have big round face down counters (like the sunken ship) that are the 'Corner Locations'...so you have to find the locations first. Whether you reveal them or not is up to you and any cards drawn will have to be secretly drawn from the deck until you reveal the location to the others.

Moving about requires a roll on Cunning since there are no paths - just woods and locations. Each success allows you to move to the next location, like a move die: three successes gives you a move of three locations. Moving off the Lost Colony Boards to an adjacent board and the nearest road spot is a 'location jump'. Moving into the Lost Colony Boards can be from any road spot closest to the board and requires a Spirit roll.

This board is all about wandering the eldritch woods, so each turn in the woods (before the Cunning roll for Movement) is a Lost Colony Event Card if you are in the Woods. Mystic Stags, hidden caves, witches' circles, dread stalkers (like Mt. Moosilauke's Dr. Benton) or one of the Allies is a nut-job, old indian spirits and curses, etc. I am sure that the local demon from the Inn enjoys a stroll.

Add a few more characters and a villain or two and more backstory for The Lost Soul.

03-24-2015, 08:33 PM
RE: Dreams of the Lost Colony
Interesting, I've wondered how FFG would work in a new map board.
Maybe something along the lines you suggest.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2015, 12:55 AM
I can't see the pic, but in my mind I picture it being laid out in the same configuration as Shadowbrook, with the Lost Colony in the center & locations outlying.

You've brainstormed some great locations that I'd love to see. I've thought a Stonehenge like circle would be cool. Also thought an abandoned Fort. An Indian village maybe (deserted?). An Indian Burial Ground would be cool, or maybe even a proper Graveyard adjacent to the Lost Colony.

More Hauntings are a must (if they don't do a deck of some as a web only or something). More backstory/tie in to Lilianna as well.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
03-25-2015, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2015 01:45 PM by Pfr_Fate.)
Moonsylver: let me try using characters instead of a pic.

The Lost Colony is two boards, each the size and shape of on half a normal board. Kinda like taking Shadowbrook and tearing it in half along the crease from left to right. So: two boards. Let me represent them by using the symbol of -.
Now the boards that exist will be represent by the symbols S (Shadowbrook) and O for either and both of the other maps of Echo Lake and The Coast.

With just Shadowbrook and the Colony:
-
S
-

With two maps and the Colony:
. --
SO

With three maps and the Colony:
. --
SOO

03-25-2015, 04:49 PM
I can see it now that I'm at home. Watchmen02 Apparently my work has the site where you have the images hosted blocked. Insane19

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
03-29-2015, 03:33 AM
So you're thinking that the lost colony spaces are places that you "teleport" to? As in, you don't walk to them, but instead there are cards/abilities that allow you to get there.

If that's the case, why have an extra board at all? Why not just have various tiles that can be laid on top of the current boards. There's more than enough space.
03-31-2015, 01:50 PM
Not really 'teleport'. More like wandering a particular region that has no paths. The areas, you are sure, are within those particular regions, but only your memory or good luck will get you let you find those areas. I, personally, do a lot of camping and woods, and I know that unless you become very familiar with a region, you just pick a direction based upon region and stay true to things you recall (like the hills to your 45 degrees and that strange group of pines in relation to the big rock).

That being said, then 'Yes', I suppose you could just use large circular tokens and lay them on the regular boards as well, saving production costs quite a bit and allowing for minis and more cards / cardboard !!!!