Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Driving the truck!
07-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Driving the truck!
Just thought I'd share my own gaming groups idea about driving the truck, since it seems to come up quite a bit.

To begin, we usually place the truck at the road out of town. It makes it easier to get from A to Z on the board, and is also located next to the gas station for convenience! We play it so that the truck can be filled with gas at the end of a hero turn, instead of giving up a turn to fill it as per the 'Escape in the Truck' scenario. It can also be filled with multiple gas 'cards'. The truck adds to your movement die. So for every gas can in the truck, you get an additional movement die for that turn (on top of the standard 1 movement die you would normally get). For example, a truck filled with 2 gas cans, will have 3 total movement die.

Heroes have to start their turn in the same space as the truck and possess the keys to be able to drive. The truck can move 2 heroes, as part of both of those heroes movement phase. A slight variation involves allowing the truck to be hot-wired on the D6 roll of 2+ if the hero does not have the keys. In this case the hero must start in the same space and announce they are going to attempt to hot-wire the truck and give up their movement roll to do so. But it all comes down to a question of balance really!

Any zombie (or Hero) on a space you pass through in the truck is hit and killed on the D6 roll of 3+. But each time you make a successful hit, the truck is damaged beyond repair and heroes must immediately exit on the D6 roll of 5+ (just to balance it out a little!). Sometimes we alter the odds for keyword student heroes, causing them to damage the truck on the D6 roll of 4+ instead, assuming they are younger and so more inexperienced.

It's a fun way to clear the board of zeds! Does anyone else have an alternative approach? Or do you find that involving the truck in this way is too overpowering and unnecessary?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2012, 07:33 AM
RE: Driving the truck!
I like the idea, but as a zombie man I think the heroes deserve NO breaks. The zombie holocaust is going to not go their way if I can help it!

I do sometimes let them win. If I deem it cinematic enough..........(cue evil chuckle) hehehhehehehhe.
07-15-2012, 05:54 AM
RE: Driving the truck!
I havent had time to play at all recently, but the truck is always fun because we like to throw stuff in to make it awesome, like only certain characters know how to hotwire and still have to roll 4+. So jake can do it being a crazy drifter, sally can being the school sweetheart because no matter who plays as her she is always the good girl gone bad, and the sherrif ussually and his son. Just random stuff we end up allowing