Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Grave Weapon conflicting rule
02-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Grave Weapon conflicting rule
I might be being stupid here.. but the rule for giving grave weapons states (pg 8 of SOTF rulebook):

"..choose any Zombie on the board that is NOT in the same or adjacent space as a Hero (or ANY zombie on a Spawning Pit)"

so I read you cant give one to a zombie on a spawning pit.. but then it says:

"You may even assign a Grave Weapon to a Zombie that has just been Spawned in the same phase"

Which would be on the spawning pit, and most likely the ones just spawned will be the only zombies on a spawning pit.

<Confused face!>

I bit the sheriff.. but I did not bite the deputy.

---------------------------------------------------
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2013, 12:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 12:36 AM by friskers96.)
RE: Grave Weapon conflicting rule
I was encountering the same thing... I understood it as newly spawned zombies could be exchanged for grave weapon for 2 to 1 before they hit the spawn pit. So somewhere in the limbo between the pool and the board you can convert to grave weapon. Now I didn't understand how to go about changing one on the board, I used the same rule but instead of placing new zombies on the board I changed existing zeds following the wording in the book forfeiting my new zombie spawns, again by 2 for 1. So if I roll to spawn 4 new zombies, either I put 2 new GW zombies on the board or I change to eligible zombies on the board to GWZ. And of course you could do 1 and 1. At that point it's players choice or whatever the current zed population will allow.. I hope that helps or is even close to being right...

Oh wait... Maybe the funky wording is talking about zombies spawned by a card event like when a building is taken over.... I think they are considered as being spawned but thy don't spawn from the pit... Hmmm

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
02-18-2013, 02:47 AM
(02-17-2013 11:44 PM)labrys Wrote:  I might be being stupid here.. but the rule for giving grave weapons states (pg 8 of SOTF rulebook):

"..choose any Zombie on the board that is NOT in the same or adjacent space as a Hero (or ANY zombie on a Spawning Pit)"

so I read you cant give one to a zombie on a spawning pit.. but then it says:

"You may even assign a Grave Weapon to a Zombie that has just been Spawned in the same phase"

Which would be on the spawning pit, and most likely the ones just spawned will be the only zombies on a spawning pit.

<Confused face!>

This means that zombie spawned by other cards such as taken over or other cards that allow zombie spawned not from spawning pit can get the weapon as long as it is not in a space with a hero or adjacent. Hope this helps.
Find all posts by this user
02-18-2013, 04:23 AM
(02-18-2013 12:32 AM)friskers96 Wrote:  I was encountering the same thing... I understood it as newly spawned zombies could be exchanged for grave weapon for 2 to 1 before they hit the spawn pit. So somewhere in the limbo between the pool and the board you can convert to grave weapon. Now I didn't understand how to go about changing one on the board, I used the same rule but instead of placing new zombies on the board I changed existing zeds following the wording in the book forfeiting my new zombie spawns, again by 2 for 1. So if I roll to spawn 4 new zombies, either I put 2 new GW zombies on the board or I change to eligible zombies on the board to GWZ. And of course you could do 1 and 1. At that point it's players choice or whatever the current zed population will allow.. I hope that helps or is even close to being right...

Oh wait... Maybe the funky wording is talking about zombies spawned by a card event like when a building is taken over.... I think they are considered as being spawned but thy don't spawn from the pit... Hmmm

The reason it still cost two to assign to a current zombie and two to spawn is because that makes the board zombie effectively worth 3 but its due to the zombie possibly already being in a space near a hero and therefore more valuable with the weapon immediately than the ones newly spawned.
02-18-2013, 04:40 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 04:41 AM by mqstout.)

I'd have to dig out SOTF to read the context around it and the exact wording, but the sentence can parse as:

"..choose any Zombie on the board that is NOT in the same or adjacent space as a Hero, OR chose ANY zombie on a Spawning Pit (even if a hero is next to that Spawning Pit)"
02-18-2013, 05:00 AM
Mqstout's correct
02-18-2013, 02:38 PM
the parenthesis make it so much better haha
02-18-2013, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 07:06 PM by labrys.)
(02-18-2013 04:40 AM)mqstout Wrote:  "..choose any Zombie on the board that is NOT in the same or adjacent space as a Hero (or ANY zombie on a Spawning Pit)"

I'd have to dig out SOTF to read the context around it and the exact wording, but the sentence can parse as:

"..choose any Zombie on the board that is NOT in the same or adjacent space as a Hero, OR chose ANY zombie on a Spawning Pit (even if a hero is next to that Spawning Pit)"

Ahh I see, that makes so much more sense! Thanks mqstout! +1

I bit the sheriff.. but I did not bite the deputy.

---------------------------------------------------
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
02-20-2013, 08:27 AM
thanks for the help
02-23-2013, 11:01 PM
On the back page of the SOTF rule book they clarify by saying:
"May be placed on any zombie not in the same or adjacent space as a hero, or placed on any zombie on a spawning pit."