Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Eliza, the witch hunter question
08-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Eliza, the witch hunter question
yoo,

So we played a little ATOE yesterday, my wife played with Eliza, the witch hunter and one of her abilities is inquisition ( any time she reveals a Town Elder's secrets,gain 4 inv. for every little secret or evil card revealed). Well my question is does she actually get to reveal secrets once per turn or does this ability only activate when she reveals a secret by means of other cards or events which causes her to reveals secrets?

and another question
I played the mystery card Rumors Run Rampant ( if Sophie is till alive, roll a d6, every town elder with honor equal to or less than the nr rolled gains one additional secrets card )
she was still alive so i threw a 6, so every town elder got another secrets card. My question is if somebody pays 2 investisties may they look at ALL the secrets cards or just one, we played it that all secrets cards may be looked at.

the doubles secrets caused some trouble because a lot of them were opposite secrets evil vs pure, it's kind of confusing in that you have a town elder that's both good and evil, which one goes off first or do they both do their thing, I'm really thinkin of making a house rule that only allows 1 secret per elder, if they would get another secret then maybe discard the old one and place the new one under the town elder, anyway, if you have any tips on this whole secrets chaos, let me know, it was really confusing

anyways thx
cheers
the kid

ps: the gargoyle got his stony ass handed to him by the misses and her girlfriend and no, nothing kinky just girl-friend Watchmen02
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2011, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2011 03:10 PM by Pfr_Fate.)
RE: Eliza, the witch hunter question
Allright! And thanks for playing ATOE - always like to see more players of this game!

Eliza only gets the bonus when she (and she alone) reveals such a secret, which she must do so by card play or spending IP.

If you get to see one secret of an Eldar, you get to see that Eldar's entire collection of secrets.

As to the order of secrets, I've found no clear ruling about that. In all cases the card that turns the Eldar to Evil forces a discard of all other Secrets when Revealed... WHEN is it revealed if there are more than one secret? Well....in every case I can think of, any immediate effect a revealed 'good' or 'neutral' Secret might have won't cause any difficulty if it is immediately cancelled by revealed-at-the-same-time switch to Evil, so players can largely ignore the question and just discard any secrets other than the switch to evil. However......

There is a very important thing to know about secrets: the difference between 'reveal' and just looking at them. Reveal means to activate the card and flip it over for all to see. If you spend IP to look at an Eldar's secrets, you can choose to reveal any secret or not EXCEPT those that have 'Reveal Immediately' on it (which must be revealed). Some card play allows you to look at secrets but you CAN'T reveal them (card says “without revealing them”)....but (page 23), a 'Reveal Immediately' card may or may not be revealed if you choose. So: if you DO get a flip to Evil in that case, you might be able to pick and choose which 'Reveal Immediately' cards you want...

Is that understandable? Feel free to ask!

08-21-2011, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2011 02:07 PM by mqstout.)
I'm with Mr. Fate on all of his answers. I'd just clarify his first one with a reminder that once a secret is revealed, it remains so. (Thus that's why it can't repeatedly be revealed.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Let me backtrack on the order of secrets being revealed....

There are a few cases that require some thinking. For example, 'Knows Too Much' kills the Eldar immediately. If the Eldar has two or more secrets and one is that card and one is 'Servant to Darkness'...what happens?

Let me look around on this one.....

08-21-2011, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2011 10:19 PM by munkymuddface.)
In the case of 'Knows too much' and 'Servant of Darkness', I dont think it matters. Even if dead, an elder who is revealed to have an evil secret will join the villain (it is assumed that they faked their death).

This could play to your favor if you are the only one that knows both secrets. You could reveal 'Knows too much' to kill the elder, and hope that other players ignore them since they are dead. Then, if a competing hero enters a showdown, you accuse the dead elder revealing the evil secret, causing them to join the villain, making the fight harder.
08-22-2011, 07:32 AM
ok, thx guys

that clears some stuff up but I'll just give some examples to see if I understand it now ok

a player who plays with eliza pays 2 IP to look at a town elder's secrets,
he/she may look at all of the secrets that elder has, then she may or may not decide to reveal a little secret or a reveal a "servant to darkness" secret to collect her 4 IP, when she revealed a secret this way the secret stays revealed for the rest of the game

ok next one

a player pays 2 IP to investigate a town elder's secrets, the secrets are "servant to darkness" and "Hero of the people". Now "the hero of the people" card says reveal immediately. Now the player CHOOSES to reveal "the hero of the people" card and not to reveal the "servant to darkness" secret causing the elder to join the player while it's darker secret is still unknown to the rest of the players
--> i find it a bit weird that you can choose to not reveal a "reveal immediately" card, then what's to point of printing reveal immediately on it when you still can choose to reveal or not. Looked in the rulebook but didn't find anything about these type of cards

exmpl. 3

pay 2 IP, look at the secrets, and you choose to reveal servants of darkness, all other secrets are discarded, no matter what they say the elder joins the villain now for the rest of the game

so let's see if i got it right Watchmen02
grts
08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Two important notes:

In a coopertive game, the cost to reveal is determined by the nuumber of players.

You have to reveal the 'Reveal Immediately' card!
The only time you can opt to NOT reveal a 'Reveal immediately!' card is when you are looking at secrets due to card play or some such ability AND the card/ability says you look at secrets "without revealing them" (example: the Event card 'Gossip and Rumours'). In such a case, you CAN'T reveal a card unless it says 'Reveal immediately!' and then you can choose to reveal or not.

08-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Ahh, alrighty then

I think i get it now
thx for the explanation Pfr_Fate

cheers