Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Enhancing the atmosphere?
07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Enhancing the atmosphere?
I'm sure most of you would agree that AToE is an incredibly atmospheric game. I'm currently working with the base game only and have a gaming night coming up and am wondering if anyone has any tips/variants they could recommend to enhance this atmosphere even more?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2012, 06:22 AM
RE: Enhancing the atmosphere?
Candles & Costumes?

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Pull up some chamber music on Pandora.
07-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Play it on a Fall night,with candles & the window open a bit to let in some chill.
Some "enhanced" Cider also helps.

We also have a Relaxation CD playing in the next room-the kind that sounds like vague
whispers.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
07-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Have the movie Sleepy Hollow playing in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MythosGamer/videos
07-31-2012, 10:04 PM
(07-31-2012 07:03 PM)MythosGamer Wrote:  Have the movie Sleepy Hollow playing in the background.
I was just gong to suggest the Sleepy Hollow soundtrack...perfectly fits.
07-31-2012, 10:09 PM
(07-31-2012 11:18 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Play it on a Fall night,with candles & the window open a bit to let in some chill.
Some "enhanced" Cider also helps.

We also have a Relaxation CD playing in the next room-the kind that sounds like vague
whispers.

OD

I think we'll definitely be playing this over the Halloween period!

Thanks for the recommendations all, I think candles are a must. Also, Mythos and JRSly I never thought of using the Sleepy Hollow soundtrack, great idea. I obviously get the similarities between the two, but it just never crossed my mind to supplement the game music with the Sleepy Hollow OST!
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2012 10:47 PM by MoonSylver.)
Mood music: either era appropriate traditional, horror or era appropriate movie soundtracks, Halloween CD's of "spooky sounds", etc.

Movies playing in background: Classic Universal or Hammer, or old B&W public domain (Nosferatu, Phantom of the Opera, etc.) (recommend turning the sound down though to prevent distraction.)

Props: Candles, Wine Glasses for beverages. Depending on the group you can go as all out (costumes) or cheesy (Halloween decorations such as skulls, spiderwebs etc) as you like.

Pimp your game: I'm doing this right now (though I'm having MUCH better luck w/ FanG...). Paint the fig's. Add custom bits for things such as the First Player or Shadow Track markers, add a custom dice tray to roll in &/or a dice cup. Make custom dice from wood cubes. Add mini's for the Villains &/or the minions.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
07-31-2012, 11:09 PM
(07-31-2012 10:46 PM)MoonSylver Wrote:  Mood music: either era appropriate traditional, horror or era appropriate movie soundtracks, Halloween CD's of "spooky sounds", etc.

Movies playing in background: Classic Universal or Hammer, or old B&W public domain (Nosferatu, Phantom of the Opera, etc.) (recommend turning the sound down though to prevent distraction.)

Props: Candles, Wine Glasses for beverages. Depending on the group you can go as all out (costumes) or cheesy (Halloween decorations such as skulls, spiderwebs etc) as you like.

Pimp your game: I'm doing this right now (though I'm having MUCH better luck w/ FanG...). Paint the fig's. Add custom bits for things such as the First Player or Shadow Track markers, add a custom dice tray to roll in &/or a dice cup. Make custom dice from wood cubes. Add mini's for the Villains &/or the minions.

I really must get around to painting my mini's, I think I'm just terrified of messing them up as I've never done anything like it before. I saw a really cool ivory effect that someone over at BGG applied to their mini's so I might try to mimic that.

I like the idea of a background movie, I think black and white would be most appropriate. Thanks for your input, I might have to crack open the Halloween decorations a little early also!

Would anyone know the best place to buy extra mini's/props for the game itself? I'm thinking along the lines of creepy looking trees for the olde woods, maybe some ruins for the abandoned keep etc. I'm struggling to find something that conforms to the theme while also being appropriately sized (and affordable!).
08-01-2012, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2012 02:37 AM by vikinglad.)
Talk with an accent all night while playing. Doesn't matter which accent as long as it is the same all night. I usually try to do a British or German one for some reason.
(07-31-2012 07:03 PM)MythosGamer Wrote:  Have the movie Sleepy Hollow playing in the background.

Was going to write this, and it was already here. If we don't use the soundtrack, we play the Tim Burton Sleepy Hollow movie in the background. Also, this soundtrack is my favorite, and we almost always listen to it whilst playing.