Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Enhancing the atmosphere?
08-01-2012, 04:27 AM
RE: Enhancing the atmosphere?
(07-31-2012 11:09 PM)Leonard Wrote:  I really must get around to painting my mini's, I think I'm just terrified of messing them up as I've never done anything like it before. I saw a really cool ivory effect that someone over at BGG applied to their mini's so I might try to mimic that.

I like the idea of a background movie, I think black and white would be most appropriate. Thanks for your input, I might have to crack open the Halloween decorations a little early also!

Would anyone know the best place to buy extra mini's/props for the game itself? I'm thinking along the lines of creepy looking trees for the olde woods, maybe some ruins for the abandoned keep etc. I'm struggling to find something that conforms to the theme while also being appropriately sized (and affordable!).

I saw that Ivory effect. It looks cool, but I'd be terrified of doing it myself, as I'm only an adequate painter. Plus I'd prefer them to look like the characters.

There's a great thread in the LNOE section of BGG on painting that convinced me to take the plunge & I don't regret it HERE.

You can see my .02 pence at the end of it on what did & didn't work for me.

I was like you, afraid I'd mess them up, but I'm pleased with the results THUS FAR. I stared w/ the LNOE zombies (because zombies are pretty easy!) & worked up to the LNOE heroes. By the time I finished the zombies my skills & confidence were up enough that I'm pleased with the result.

I've finished the FanG Mobsters & almost done w/ the Nazi Soldiers. Still got the main Villains & the Heros to go... Insane19 (I'm saving ATOE for last!)

As for props, I don't have any suggestions YET. I'm eyeing some aquarium ruins & house on hill for the Manor & Keep & I've seen some Windmill statuary I'm considering as well. The ruins will need some re-paint to make them work. None are to scale, but I really only want them to sit at the edges of the board for "mood" anyway.

So far I've acquired more "bling" for FanG than ATOE. Insane19. I see lots of good stuff that can be re-purposed in craft stores like Michael's, Jo-Ann's & Hobby Lobby, or in Thrift Stores of all places! (scored a cool mini Greek pottery urn a few weeks ago that makes a nice dice cup for FanG. Zombie03 )

I plan on scoping out the local Hobby Town for railroad, etc, scenery that can be used as well. Zombie17
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2012, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2012 11:24 AM by vikinglad.)
Play the Nutcracker online scenario during Christmas with all your decorations up and old Christmas music playing. We did this last year, and it was fun.
08-02-2012, 07:25 PM
(08-01-2012 04:27 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  There's a great thread in the LNOE section of BGG on painting that convinced me to take the plunge & I don't regret it HERE.

You can see my .02 pence at the end of it on what did & didn't work for me.

I was like you, afraid I'd mess them up, but I'm pleased with the results THUS FAR. I stared w/ the LNOE zombies (because zombies are pretty easy!) & worked up to the LNOE heroes. By the time I finished the zombies my skills & confidence were up enough that I'm pleased with the result.

I've finished the FanG Mobsters & almost done w/ the Nazi Soldiers. Still got the main Villains & the Heros to go... Insane19 (I'm saving ATOE for last!)

As for props, I don't have any suggestions YET. I'm eyeing some aquarium ruins & house on hill for the Manor & Keep & I've seen some Windmill statuary I'm considering as well. The ruins will need some re-paint to make them work. None are to scale, but I really only want them to sit at the edges of the board for "mood" anyway.

So far I've acquired more "bling" for FanG than ATOE. Insane19. I see lots of good stuff that can be re-purposed in craft stores like Michael's, Jo-Ann's & Hobby Lobby, or in Thrift Stores of all places! (scored a cool mini Greek pottery urn a few weeks ago that makes a nice dice cup for FanG. Zombie03 )

I plan on scoping out the local Hobby Town for railroad, etc, scenery that can be used as well. Zombie17
---MSWatchmen01

Thanks for the advice, there are some great instructions in that BGG thread. Aquarium ruins are a great idea, you make it seem so obvious! Looks like I'll be raiding my local pet store. I think I'll definitely find something for the Abandoned Keep in there.

There are a ton of model windmills out there too that would fit the theme of the game perfectly so I think I'll try that. As for the Olde Woods some twigs and a polystyrene base might work for some bare trees. I think the Manor might prove the most difficult to pin down.

Let me know how it goes for you anyway!
08-02-2012, 11:10 PM
(08-02-2012 07:25 PM)Leonard Wrote:  Thanks for the advice, there are some great instructions in that BGG thread. Aquarium ruins are a great idea, you make it seem so obvious! Looks like I'll be raiding my local pet store. I think I'll definitely find something for the Abandoned Keep in there.

There are a ton of model windmills out there too that would fit the theme of the game perfectly so I think I'll try that. As for the Olde Woods some twigs and a polystyrene base might work for some bare trees. I think the Manor might prove the most difficult to pin down.

Let me know how it goes for you anyway!

No problem! I'm thinking when Halloween comes around I might find something appropriate for the Olde Woods. There are usually lots of dioramas & decorations & things that could be re-purposed.

I forgot too, google up cardstock buildings & take a look. IIRC I have seen a few that might be appropriate. Watchmen02

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
08-07-2012, 11:24 PM
OK, I went to Hobby Town & checked out the model RR section this weekend. They do have bare trees, but they are fairly expensive ($10 for a bag of 60, which was the smallest size they had...).

I'm considering also some of the small "shrubbery" type trees included in bagged sets of Army Men & Cowboys & Indians. I already have a ton of them, & I'm thinking if you clip the "leaves" off & spray paint them brown they could be appropriate. Floral wire twisted into shapes & painted, or pipe cleaners covered over w/ a mix of tissue & while glue & painted could do the trick too.

Heck, even the original suggestion of dry twigs I think would work too, maybe w/ some dry brushing to dress them up.

I also eyeballed some of the WWI European buildings they had. Some of these could be used as well.

Stopped into Walmart & checked out the Aquarium stuff again. I think I'm going to take the plunge on the buildings I have my eye on for the Manor & Keep. Plus they have a volcano I'm going to use for SOME purpose in FanG, as well as a ruined Egyptian wall/statue thing that will fit PERFECTLY w/ a bunch of the "bling" I already have. Zombie17

08-13-2012, 04:47 PM
(08-07-2012 11:24 PM)MoonSylver Wrote:  OK, I went to Hobby Town & checked out the model RR section this weekend. They do have bare trees, but they are fairly expensive ($10 for a bag of 60, which was the smallest size they had...).

I'm considering also some of the small "shrubbery" type trees included in bagged sets of Army Men & Cowboys & Indians. I already have a ton of them, & I'm thinking if you clip the "leaves" off & spray paint them brown they could be appropriate. Floral wire twisted into shapes & painted, or pipe cleaners covered over w/ a mix of tissue & while glue & painted could do the trick too.

Heck, even the original suggestion of dry twigs I think would work too, maybe w/ some dry brushing to dress them up.

I also eyeballed some of the WWI European buildings they had. Some of these could be used as well.

Stopped into Walmart & checked out the Aquarium stuff again. I think I'm going to take the plunge on the buildings I have my eye on for the Manor & Keep. Plus they have a volcano I'm going to use for SOME purpose in FanG, as well as a ruined Egyptian wall/statue thing that will fit PERFECTLY w/ a bunch of the "bling" I already have. Zombie17

Sounds great, I'm eyeing up some sepia-styled aquarium ruins for the abandoned keep myself and planning on going ahead with the twig for trees approach for the Olde Woods! Still keeping a look out for Manor and Windmill set pieces though.
08-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Almost forgot to mention, I was at Michael's last weekend & they've started w/ the Halloween stuff. Not a lot out yet, & most of it is the cheesy stuff, but there are a few useful items. In the diorama section the have some trees @ $5, $9, & $12. The 1st two are more "Autumn" style & smaller & the $12 one is larger & more of the "Spooky" variety. I passed for now just because of the size & I'm going to try my own, but MAY reconsider.

Also in the same section they have a 3 pk (all different) of painted miniature coffins for $3 that are PERFECT size. These I picked up.

Also snagged a small plain wood box in the shape of a coffin for .99, which should be good for tokens, dice, etc. I'm undecided if I will stain it or leave it natural.
---MSWatchmen01

08-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Also forgot, they're starting to put out a little bit of Christmas stuff too. Could be some useful buildings in that too.