Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: Who won?
Heroes Win
Zombies Win
Tied, That was too close to call one side a winner.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Escape in the Truck - who won?
06-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Escape in the Truck - who won?
The sun track is at 1 after the zombie turn. Nikki and Rachelle are at the truck and Nikki has the keys. Sister Ophelia and Sally are 2 spaces away from the truck and Sister Ophelia has the gasoline.

The Zombie player plays "Bickering" on Sister Ophelia and Sally so they lose their turn.

Rachelle kills a zombie with a revolver and "I'll Cover You!" with it's boost allowing another hero to move 2 spaces. The idea was to bring Sister Ophelia and the gasoline into the truck space so the heroes can win. Goes this work?

How should be the winners of this game, heroes or zombies?

I am thinking the zombies should still win because "Bickering" states ". . . All characters in that space lose their Hero Turn (may not do anything at all - they do not need to fight Zombies there)." therefore they can not give up a turn they do not have to fill up the truck. I do not think they could even use "I'll cover you!" to move Sister Ophelia.

Of course the Heroes think the they should win because Sister Ophelia movement was not part of a Heroes move phase and happens outside of her turn. They also believe that they can discard the gasoline and give out their turn which is the same as "lose their turn" with is already in play due to the "Bickering".

Please help and clarify these rules.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2016, 01:48 AM
RE: Escape in the Truck - who won?
This is a juicy one. Here's my take:

"Bickering" (Base Game) - is played on a space, not on particular Heroes. It says "Play this card at the start of the Hero Turn on any space with more than one Hero in it. All characters in that space lose their Hero Turn..." Obviously characters not in that space do not lose their turn. Here's the crux of the question: If a Hero becomes not in that space by any means does his Hero Turn return to him? Is the loss of the turn only conditional on him being in that space? Or does it mark that Hero no matter where he goes?

"I'll Cover You!" (Upgrade from BitF) - says if you hit a Z with a ranged weapon one other Hero gets to move outside of the normal turn sequence. I believe Sister gets to move out of the space because it's a move outside of the normal turn sequence (it does not require having a Turn in order to make the move).

Does she get her turn back? Being familiar with other mechanics and wordings in the game I fully believe the loss of the turn from Bickering is conditional on being in that space. Note that the card is played on a space and not directly on Heroes. Yes, it seems it has to be worded that way in order to capture the multiple hereos there, but it could have been worded something like "Play on any heroes in a space...".

More importantly though, if the effect was intended to be persistent regardless of the position of the Heroes after it was played, it would have been called something else. Thematically, you need to be in the same space with another person in order to bicker with them. If something outside of your control distracts you or physically removes you, you are no longer bickering. The card titles do have thematic meaning.

My take: Sister moves outside of her turn and gets her Hero Turn back. If those two spaces from "I'll Cover You!" got her to the truck she now has a turn to give up to fuel the truck. The Heroes win.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
06-10-2016, 06:38 PM
RE: Escape in the Truck - who won?
Yeah, I would pretty much agree with the above. That's my take on it as well. Yes, there is some ambiguity based on the way the card is worded. However, I think there are two important things to consider. 1) Considering it thematically, as the above response points out, you can't bicker with somebody from a completely different location. 2) Heroes don't have to take their turn in a specific order. They can take it in any order they wish.

Furthermore, since the Hero card played allows any OTHER hero to move, in my personal view, that is completely outside of their turn. Meaning I would personally interpret that to mean it could override "Bickering." Furthermore still, reviewing the text of "Bickering" it states "Play this card at the start of the Hero Turn on any space with more than one Hero in it. All characters in that space lose their Hero Turn..." It doesn't say anything about whether OTHER cards can effect them. They simply lose their Hero Turn, and only if they are on that space.

So, I agree with the above. The card the other Hero played allowed him/her to move Sister Ophelia. Since the sister then moved, I think it is correct to assume she can then get her hero turn.

So, I would definitely personally say the heroes won.... but that is one that is definitely somewhat up to interpretation.