Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Expand TP or buy the original LNOE?
06-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Expand TP or buy the original LNOE?
Hi everyone,

As this forum has the largest combined LNOE knowledge on the web, I was wondering if I could please get your advice on something?

A while back I brought Timber Peak and my gaming group has been enjoying it immensely but I think its about time to change it up a little and introduce something new.

Therefore I was thinking of buying an expansion for the game, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which expansion(s) are the best and whether they work well with Timber Peak or not?

Timber Peaks instruction manual does give some helpful pointers about how to implement the expansions with this game but I was just wondering if anyone has tried them and if it really improves the game?

There is another option open to me as well as I currently do not own the original LNOE game. Would I be better off buying this as an "expansion" to my TP game?

I'm aware that there is an expansion for Timber Peaks in the works but I'm not sure when we'll get this in the UK and I don't think I can wait that long!

Anyway, I eagerly await your expert opinions on this matter Watchmen02
Thanks in advance!

"You can never be lost, if you don't care where you are..."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2013, 07:40 PM
RE: Expand TP or buy the original LNOE?
I always thought 'Blood in the forest' will be an expansion for both, TP or the classic one?

Never mind, I'll definitly buy it ;P.
I got all expansions for LNoE exclusive Timber Peak, coming soon. It depends on a few things. How much money do you want to spend, are you more interested in new heroes, board tiles, game cards or models?

Growing hunger is the biggest one, including new board tiles, heroes, scenarios, game cards and 7 new zombie models. But it's the most expensive one.
Hero Pack 1 includes new heroes, some game cards and one new mission, if I am right.
The grave weapon zombies are just 7 zombie models with grave weapons.
Survival of the fittest includes 4 scenarios, some new game cards, the barricade system and 3 new card decks (grave weapons, unique items and survival tactics).
The hero pack, the grave weapon zombies and survival of the fittest are much cheaper, something around 20.

I would go with growing hunger, because of the board tiles and the zombies. My second choice would be survival of the fittest and the hero pack come 3rd and zombies wih grave weapons on 4th. They just imrpove your zombie pool.
06-05-2013, 01:38 PM
I think you should get the LNOE base game. That way you'll appreciate the 'history' of the survivors in TP. With just TP it's a bit like you've started watching The Walking Dead at Series 2.
06-05-2013, 07:03 PM
I agree with AP, get the base game first then move into growing hunger. After GH, my suggestion would be Survival of the Fittest and then Hero Pack 1. Finally getting Grave Weapon Zombie set and Web exclusives. Incorporate them slowly too, Base game will be simple to integrate but the other expansions I feel should be done slowly. Sets like GH you can add in little bits of it here and there and get used to the mechanics instead or going all in and spending 60 oercent of your game time chasing rulings.

Now I know whats going to happen, because most of us did the same, your going to get the fever and you'll probably go all in all at once... Well, we will be here for you, we should change the site name to LNOE Anonymous... Big happy family of Zombie junkies..

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2013, 12:59 PM
(06-05-2013 07:03 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  get the base game first then move into growing hunger. After GH, my suggestion would be Survival of the Fittest and then Hero Pack 1.

Ditto
06-06-2013, 05:54 PM
I agree, the base game is a great purchase. Defend the Manor is one of the best scenarios and you get a lot of good characters. SotF is a really game changer that drastically change the game. It's like Cities and Knights for Catan, for those gamers familiar with the game.
06-06-2013, 07:59 PM
I would tend to agree with the majority here. Personally, I would have recommended getting the original game before Timber Peak. So, I guess now the best thing you can do is decide what type of collector you want to be when it comes to this game.

First off, are you eventually going to want to collect everything? If so, then you might as well start with the base game.

Are you just going to want to pick and choose a few things that add a lot to the game? Then, maybe you wait on the base game since you already have Timber Peak.

Another question you could ask yourself is how much do you want to add to your game right now? In other words, did you only want to add a little bit since you just got Timber Peak? Then one of the smaller expansions might be better to pick up next. Do you perhaps want to add a lot (such as new scenarios) without changing the game too much, so it is basically still the same game but just with more variety? Then the base game would be a good bet. Do you want to add a lot of cool new stuff? Then Growing Hunger or Survival of the Fittest might be good.

So, it is one of those things where you can really best decide what you should get next. But... I would agree with the others and say that my personal advice would be to go for the original base game.
06-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Hey all,
Thanks for all the responses and advice.
I was browsing online yesterday and found LNOE on sale at an amazing price, which I took as a sign from the zombie gods that I should buy this now!
So it should arrive sometime this week and in plenty of time for the next gaming session with my friends :-)
I'm sure I'll go on to purchase other expansions in time, but for now I'm sure LNOE & TP will suffice.

"You can never be lost, if you don't care where you are..."
06-13-2013, 01:33 AM
Groovy! Congrats. That definitely sounds like a sign to me. ;-)
07-09-2013, 10:50 AM
(06-04-2013 07:00 PM)Narfbuster Wrote:  Hi everyone,

As this forum has the largest combined LNOE knowledge on the web, I was wondering if I could please get your advice on something?

A while back I brought Timber Peak and my gaming group has been enjoying it immensely but I think its about time to change it up a little and introduce something new.

Therefore I was thinking of buying an expansion for the game, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which expansion(s) are the best and whether they work well with Timber Peak or not?

Timber Peaks instruction manual does give some helpful pointers about how to implement the expansions with this game but I was just wondering if anyone has tried them and if it really improves the game?

There is another option open to me as well as I currently do not own the original LNOE game. Would I be better off buying this as an "expansion" to my TP game?

I'm aware that there is an expansion for Timber Peaks in the works but I'm not sure when we'll get this in the UK and I don't think I can wait that long!

Anyway, I eagerly await your expert opinions on this matter Watchmen02
Thanks in advance!

I say the first things you should buy for the game is the original set, but remember that some of the characters are the same but less experienced, and the Growing Hunger expansion. This will give you more characters, more scenarios and a lot more options to play with. After that, you can then go for the smaller expansions