Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Favorite childhood toys
08-24-2012, 10:34 PM
RE: Favorite childhood toys
I used to get freaked out by that commercial they had for the Boglins. Creepy glowing eyes!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2012, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 01:51 PM by goodcop2000.)
@PJON, can't say I ever had a rubber ducky! But I did have some plastic boats that floated in the tub. I would put army men on the boats and have sea battles.

@staypuft, I like your little Ghostbusters action figures. I don't remember seeing those...

@phantomninja, the Battle Beasts look awesome. I heard of them when I was younger but never saw them. A few years ago, I came across a collection of really cool mini monsters from Europe called Gormitis. I gave a few to my son and he loved them so we ended up buying all the figures we could find. Unfortunately, they only released series 1 and 2 in the U.S. I saw some pictures of series 3 and there were some really awesome looking beasts. I did go to U.K. sellers to get some special "atomic" Gormitis that were not for sale in the U.S. so maybe I will have to do the same for series 3.

@wisdomknight, we probably ARE the same age...I'm 42. I noticed when I was researching images of Matchbox cars online that there were different waves or sets so I imagine they were released in different years. When I got to the set that had the images I posted there were many others that I also recognized from my old collection.

@mqstout, very solid list of fun there but I don't know how you don't like comics!! I still do. I went about 25 years without buying any but two years ago I started collecting again. They are very different now than when I was young! Comics were pretty much G or PG type content when I was a kid and there are many series now that I enjoy as an adult because of the high quality art and writing but that I will not let my younger kids look at! Some of the Batman series, for example, have really gone to a dark tone.

@old dwarf, WWII?! I thought "old" was just an expression! Zombie03 Sounds cool, though. I'm not sure what your Fort Apache set look like but when I was young I found an awesome, old (at the time) metal fort that folded in on itself for storage and it was old western themed. I need to look for images online and see if we had similar forts.

@SovTech, since your childhood toys are LNOE and ATOE I assume you're telling me you're a kid now! Watchmen02 Enjoy your youth. Your games are much cooler than my games were (Monopoly, Sorry, etc.)

@viking lad, nice choices there. I see you were heavy into action figures. I liked G.I. Joe but I just used friends' figures instead of buying my own.

@staypuft again, I laugh when I look at your wrestling figures. I don't know why, they just look funny to me. But I did watch some wrestling when I was a kid. And I've never heard of Boglins.

I tried to post a photo of some Gormitis but it didn't work. Let me see if I can add it to this post.

@mqstout,

This is the playset I had.

These are Gormitis, a couple from the Volcano Tribe and then the kids' whole collection...

And this is the sweet Six Million Dollar Man action figure I had...

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
08-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Comics: I can't actually read them. The lettering's generally awful. I can read some of them (very slowly!) that are actually lettered with mixed case. I can't pull the text out of the images to read it -- and I generally don't find myself caring about the images.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Those "Gormits" look awesome! Look like exactly the sort of thing I'd have loved as a kid. Never heard of them, though.

Anyways, how could I forget... I also had all sorts of Batman and X-Men toys.

Also, a bit more obscure, but does anybody else remember the "Monster in My Pocket" toys?

[Image: 2.jpg]

Or the Food Fighters?

[Image: Food+Fighters+G.JPG]
[Image: 4308728968_325acc1a0d_z.jpg]
08-27-2012, 09:40 PM
I remember those. I had some Monster in My Pocketses, but never thought the Food Fighters looked very cool. They are like a bad pun that somebody just ran with. Watchmen02
08-28-2012, 04:03 AM
Ha, the Food Fighters, I remember those. Does anyone remember these barnyard commandos? Anyone familiar with Capt Bucky O'Hare? I loved that cartoon and the toys were pretty neat as well.
Ah, Monster in my Pocket was a great series! They had some really great sculpts and monsters in their line up. A+ stuff!

Attached File(s) Image(s)

08-28-2012, 07:07 PM
(08-28-2012 04:03 AM)phantomninja Wrote:  Ha, the Food Fighters, I remember those. Does anyone remember these barnyard commandos? Anyone familiar with Capt Bucky O'Hare? I loved that cartoon and the toys were pretty neat as well.
Ah, Monster in my Pocket was a great series! They had some really great sculpts and monsters in their line up. A+ stuff!

Oh man! I remember the Barnyward guys! We had those too! I loved them too when I was little. To me, I've ALWAYS loved "weird" things. So, an action figure series based on food creatures, and one based on barnyard animals to me were AWESOME! LOL! It made so little sense that they were just great.

Another one I forgot...

Creepy Crawlers

[Image: Toymax_Creepy_Crawlers.jpg]

I LOVED this set. I had so many different add-ons. Different bugs, all sorts of different colors (including glow in the dark), and even one that allowed you to make little monster faces, complete with googly eyes. I had a ton of these things sitting in a little container shaped like a very small trash can. I used to just keep making more and more.
09-05-2012, 07:27 PM
So many things. . .
I'm 33 now, I'd have to start my list with Shirt Tales
[Image: e41a9960.jpg]

Always thought they were the greatest things.

GI Joe was always big, and I had a ton of He-Man.

I owned an Atari 2600 and a 7800, and I can still play Asteroids till the cartridge resets. (although Kaboom stills kicks my ass)

The biggest one I'll always remember was when we picked this up at a Goodwill:
[Image: game-scotlandyard.JPG]

From that moment I was hooked on strategy games, which led me to Battletech, and that to RPG's, and eventually LNoE, my current love.
09-05-2012, 09:01 PM
awesome star wars collection goodcop2000 i have all the same figures as u and quite a few of the craft used to be a massive fan as a kid.....who am i kidding i still am when i get my camara working il take a some pics and post them up have to dig them out the loft though one of my prized possesions was rankor with moving mouth Watchmen02
09-06-2012, 02:47 AM
(09-05-2012 09:01 PM)zombielover77 Wrote:  awesome star wars collection goodcop2000 i have all the same figures as u and quite a few of the craft used to be a massive fan as a kid.....who am i kidding i still am when i get my camara working il take a some pics and post them up have to dig them out the loft though one of my prized possesions was rankor with moving mouth Watchmen02

Hey zombielover77, I wish that was my collection in the picture. I used a picture I found online to show a complete set of the first-edition figures but I never completed the set and I sold them when I got a little older!

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War