Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Final Wave scenario (nod to Plants v Zombies)
02-27-2012, 01:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2012 01:16 AM by goodcop2000.)
Final Wave scenario (nod to Plants v Zombies)
As I mentioned before I'm really intrigued by the idea of a scenario with LOTS of zombies to deal with. I don't have Photoshop and am not a graphic artist type so I didn't put this in the FF format but here is my first shot at a custom scenario. I've tried to balance out the zombie and hero sides with a lot of give and take. The difficulty can be adjusted for either side by using one of the optional rules (#7 or #8). My goal is to overrun the board with zombies but weaken them enough to give the heroes a chance for a massive body count.

Final Wave

Introduction

After several days of fighting tooth and nail to stay alive, the surviving residents of Woodinvale can see a light at the end of the tunnel. They have managed to arm themselves and the most recent zombie attacks have been easier to fight off than usual. Unbeknownst to the humans, the zombie horde's decomposition has reached its final stage and the shambling horrors have only hours left before they will cease all movement. It's not all good news for Woodinvale, though. The zombies, sensing their time is limited, are desperate for a final taste of living flesh. Every remaining zombie in town is on the move and the last few hours of the zombie outbreak will prove to be the most harrowing.

Turns: 15

Scenario Objectives

Zombie Megahorde (28), Zombies Auto-Spawn, Heroes Replenish (unless optional rule #7 is in effect), Free Search Markers, Hero Starting Cards (1) per rule #1

1) Armed and dangerous: During setup, each hero who does not already start with a weapon (e.g. Sheriff Anderson) reveals cards from the Hero Deck and keeps the first weapon found (with the exception of two-handed weapons). The rest of the revealed cards are reshuffled back into the Hero Deck before gameplay begins. Heroes who automatically start with a weapon may choose either a "First Aid Kit" card or "Ammo" card from the Hero Deck as their bonus starting card and then reshuffle.

2) They're coming out of the woodwork: In addition to the 4 usual spawning pits, place spawning pits in 4 random buildings. Reroll if the random building already contains a spawning pit. The requirement for spawned zombies to be evenly dispersed among all spawning pits is lifted after the first 5 turns.

3) All hands on deck: Number of starting zombies is 4d6 with minimum of 16. Roll 1d6 for number of zombies to spawn at end of the zombies' first 10 turns. Roll 2d6 for the final 5 turns. As usual, divide these numbers in two if there are two zombie players (each player gets 2d6 starting zombies with minimum of 8, 1d3 spawned zombies for first 10 turns, and 1d6 spawned zombies for final 5 turns).

4) Zombies weakening: First 5 turns have normal fight rules. After 5 turns, heroes win fights on a tie. After 10 turns, zombies take a wound when they lose a fight (no doubles necessary).

5) Rampant infection: Any hero that dies during the game is automatically turned into a zombie hero.

6) Expired brains: At the end of the 15th turn, all remaining zombies will collapse as their brain matter finally liquefies. Epic hero victory if no heroes are killed. Moderate hero victory if only 1 hero is killed. Narrow hero victory if 2 heroes are killed. Zombie victory if 3 heroes are killed. Epic zombie victory if 4 or more heroes are killed.

7) OPTIONAL RULE FOR MORE DIFFICULT HERO CHALLENGE: And then there were four: The four heroes are the final human survivors in town. Any hero killed and turned into a zombie hero is not replaced with a new hero. If the hero being turned into a zombie is the player's last hero, the player may stay involved in the game by becoming a limited zombie player. This means that the player only controls the converted zombie hero's actions but does not draw zombie cards, spawn new zombies, etc.

8) OPTIONAL RULE FOR MORE DIFFICULT ZOMBIE CHALLENGE: The heroes have had a chance to stockpile items and enjoy "Well-stocked buildings".

End of scenario

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2012, 02:07 AM
RE: Final Wave scenario (nod to Plants v Zombies)
Sounds like a ton of fun! Will give this a try soon.

In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse please do the following:
1. Grab a buddy
2. Grab guns
3. Start shooting
02-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Very interesting. I am interested. I am usually a zombie player and always want more zombies so this seems Awsome. Have you considered using grave dead or weapons? Or would the balance of power be to much twords the zombies?

Through victory my chains are broken.
02-27-2012, 02:43 PM
(02-27-2012 11:32 AM)Darth Trey Wrote:  Very interesting. I am interested. I am usually a zombie player and always want more zombies so this seems Awsome. Have you considered using grave dead or weapons? Or would the balance of power be to much twords the zombies?

Hey Victor and DT, thanks for your interest. I don't have SOTF so zombies with weapons are out for me. I briefly considered using grave dead but I have a feeling it would just make the zombies too dominant, especially toward the beginning of the game. If I'm surprised and find the heroes have too big an edge in the scenario, adding grave dead would be an option but it is a little contrary to the spirit of my scenario which has the zombies essentially "winding down" toward their demise.

02-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Hey goodcop I read it and I like it. I would play this. Thanks.Watchmen02
02-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Ok cool. I See what you are trying to accomplish now. I like it. I look forward to giving it a shot as soon as I get the chance!

Through victory my chains are broken.
02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
This looks sweet. A few comments:

* Rachelle and Sheriff Anderson -- what do they get to make up for everyone else starting with a weapon?
* It is implied, but I don't see it written, that heroes will not respawn in this scenario.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-29-2012, 11:04 PM
(02-28-2012 07:11 PM)mqstout Wrote:  This looks sweet. A few comments:

* Rachelle and Sheriff Anderson -- what do they get to make up for everyone else starting with a weapon?
* It is implied, but I don't see it written, that heroes will not respawn in this scenario.

@mqstout,

1) Hmmm, good question for the police officers. I think it would be fair to give them "First Aid Kit" as their bonus starting card but I am open to suggestions.

2) You are correct that I was planning on the heroes not respawning. In my mind I see the 4 heroes as the very last survivors in town so there is no "discovering" other heroes.

I showed my kids this scenario and they want to play this weekend.

02-29-2012, 11:32 PM
(02-29-2012 11:04 PM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  @mqstout,

1) Hmmm, good question for the police officers. I think it would be fair to give them "First Aid Kit" as their bonus starting card but I am open to suggestions.

Why not give them extra ammo?

What you don't know can eat you... Zombie01
03-01-2012, 05:57 PM
(02-29-2012 11:32 PM)thegep Wrote:  
(02-29-2012 11:04 PM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  @mqstout,

Why not give them extra ammo?

@thegep, thanks for the input. I like both ideas because ammo and first aid kits are both items that an officer would be stocking up on during the crisis. I will go back to the scenario and modify it so that characters who already start with a weapon may choose a "First Aid Kit" card or "Ammo" card as their bonus card.