Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First Crack at a Custom Hero Using Gimp
02-05-2011, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2011 12:33 PM by vikinglad.)
First Crack at a Custom Hero Using Gimp
I tried using GIMP to make a hero card for Ash from the Evil Dead movies. What do ya think? A couple of questions:

1. How do I change the properties (bold, color, etc.) of just some of the text in a text box, like the Start: Location part?
2. How do the other cards get the black shadow behind the Dominican text?
3. Any suggestions for balance,abilities, etc for this guy?
4. I uploaded this into my album. Where else should I put it to make it available to people?
5. How do you guys usually add images of your cards to your posts? I used the address for the preview pic from my gallery.

Updated with shading on lettering and oil paint effect on hero pic.

Download Vikinglad's Ash Hero Here!

[Image: normal_Ash_Williams_Hero.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2011, 07:30 PM
RE: First Crack at a Custom Hero Using Gimp
Wonderful Viking!
I would use that card. Maybe his start location should be the Supermarket? As in S-MartWatchmen02
Love what you've done. Well balanced character. Here's the model for him it's by Hasslefree Miniatures and he's called 'Oakley' but we know his real name...
http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pa...?pack=2208

Good Work!
02-05-2011, 08:04 PM
LOL S-MART. That was my favorite line in the end when he's pissed. Supermarket would be the way to go! Well done Viking, and to think you also didn't attempt it.

I'd also like to add that I like to see new Heros with unique abilities, and gas for chainsaw is a great one.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
02-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

What a legend!Watchmen02
02-06-2011, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2011 08:27 AM by vikinglad.)
(02-05-2011 08:36 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

What a legend!Watchmen02

Indeed. I looked around and was surprised to see no one had made one for this zombie-stomping legend. Maybe because Evil Dead isn't seen as a zombie movie by most people. I understand; it isn't too conventional.

You know, I originally had the Supermarket as the start location, but I decided to change it up because Kenny already starts there, and I wanted a little variety. He seems like a gun lover to me. Too bad there isn't a little log cabin somewhere.

Originally, his quote was my fav in Army of Darkness: "Well Hello Mr. Fancy Pants." I also almost went with the beginning of this little monologue: "Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up!"
02-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Umm, I've seen about a billion versions of Ash ;p
02-07-2011, 02:49 AM
(02-07-2011 01:56 AM)Orguss Wrote:  Umm, I've seen about a billion versions of Ash ;p

Hey hes a Icon! of course there's a boatload of versions

Great job!

Text: Use all caps (for a bolder look), and then a new string/box to to make just the first letter a larger capital than the rest of the text. For different colors a separate box of text for each of a color. Youll have to line up start and the location.

Bulletin board pics: I use photobucket.

How did you get the font type in the program? Yeah this is probably an obvious one. I want to get it before I do a couple more Heros.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ddgdemon/Games/Brains_Moon2.jpg[/img]
02-08-2011, 09:16 AM
(02-07-2011 01:56 AM)Orguss Wrote:  Umm, I've seen about a billion versions of Ash ;p

Really? Here on this site? I tried to check around first but didn't see any in the downloads sections. I didn't check the threads. Let me know if you know where others are. I am interested to see how they compare.

(02-07-2011 02:49 AM)Nebulon Wrote:  How did you get the font type in the program? Yeah this is probably an obvious one. I want to get it before I do a couple more Heros.

There are directions I followed in the ReadMe file that comes with the Scenario creator download package on this site. You have to move the font files to your font folder, which was in the windows folder somewhere. Then the fonts are there the next time you launch GIMP.
02-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Nice Stuff! I would for sure use that hero.
And thx to samuraitrev for the miniature link.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.
02-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Very cool, I've been looking for an Ash hero to use that wasn't too overpowered. Up till now I've been using my Ash fig as a stand in for Jake. The only thing I would suggest changing is his ATTACHED ability, change the wording from "any pile" to "discard pile".

You know, this could be our last night on earth....