Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First Crack at a Custom Hero Using Gimp
02-09-2011, 02:14 AM
RE: First Crack at a Custom Hero Using Gimp
Yeah, its great that he isn't OP, and has unique abilities.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2011, 02:33 AM
(02-08-2011 09:16 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  There are directions I followed in the ReadMe file that comes with the Scenario creator download package on this site. You have to move the font files to your font folder, which was in the windows folder somewhere. Then the fonts are there the next time you launch GIMP.

Ok got it, need the "Scenario creator download package", where is this?

I really have been winging it...

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ddgdemon/Games/Brains_Moon2.jpg[/img]
02-09-2011, 02:35 AM
I downloaded the templates and LOVE them. GIMP works pretty well. Only question I had is what fonts to use to match better. I saw the font recommendations for the Scenarios, but not for heroes. Anyone know which fonts for the following:
1. Start: Location
2. "special quote"
3. Profession - Sex
4. Hero's profession
5. Bolded Titles of special abilities
6. Hero's name
Thanks and sorry if this was asked elsewhere
02-11-2011, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2011 12:51 PM by vikinglad.)
(02-09-2011 02:33 AM)Nebulon Wrote:  Ok got it, need the "Scenario creator download package", where is this?

I really have been winging it...

I just checked, and it is just called "Scenario Template" in the downloads section, but it actually comes with a bunch of stuff.

Scenario Template
(02-09-2011 02:35 AM)jezorin Wrote:  Only question I had is what fonts to use to match better. I saw the font recommendations for the Scenarios, but not for heroes. Anyone know which fonts for the following:

I just used the Dominican and Dominican Italic fonts for everything.
(02-08-2011 10:36 PM)chernabog Wrote:  The only thing I would suggest changing is his ATTACHED ability, change the wording from "any pile" to "discard pile".

I was specific about this because I wanted to make sure he got some good chainsaw use in. Thematically, since it is attached to his arm, all he ever needs to do is gas it up. Why would you change it? Does it seem too powerful? It is kinda like well-stocked buildings.
02-11-2011, 08:03 PM
It just seems to me, personally, that the shotgun/chainsaw combo is pretty awesome and that Ash should have to work a little harder to get his chainsaw running. We actually used him in a scenario on game night, he came in late as a replenishment hero during "run for it" and just mopped up the zombies blocking the way out of town with his shotgun. Very fun to play.

You know, this could be our last night on earth....
02-12-2011, 01:02 AM
hey Viking great job on the custom ash hero, turned out great.
02-12-2011, 01:42 AM
I'm also loving this Ash.
As Orguss said, he's been done before (I think he's referring to the 'Geek) but I like this version the best.
Makes me want to get one of those minis.

Just say NO to 'house rules'.
02-13-2011, 03:46 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2011 03:47 AM by Russ.)
(02-08-2011 09:16 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  Let me know if you know where others are. I am interested to see how they compare.

Here's mine. I haven't actually played with it yet, though. I felt like Ash's chainsaw is definitely not a normal chainsaw, and therefore, isn't the chainsaw from the hero deck. Also, since it's attached to his arm, I didn't think he should lose it by losing a fight. But it seemed way too powerful to have a chainsaw that he can never lose, plus there's still another floating around in the hero deck, so I at least got rid of the extra fight dice bonus. Still, I'm afraid he might be slightly too powerful, even with the 'evil ash' rule. Any thoughts?

I do like your idea of just needing gas to start his chainsaw. I'm not sure how it plays, but thematically I think it is a cool idea. My guess is that you would need some sort of negative attribute to balance him out. Maybe something like 'bumbling oaf--minus one to break-weapon rolls' or maybe he could have 'overconfidence.' It would be just like the zombie card 'overconfidence' only it would always be in effect. Just throwing ideas out, seeing what sticks. Feel free to use whatever. Watchmen02
Holy crap! Sorry...I didn't realize it was that big!!

Attached File(s) Image(s)

02-13-2011, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2011 08:03 AM by vikinglad.)
Russ,
At first the chainsaw ability seemed too harsh in that it basically makes it so that he always has the chainsaw, but with the limited carrying capacity and the Evil Ash negative ability, this might balance out well. I really like the Evil Ash ability. I may add it to mine if he seems overpowered.
(02-12-2011 01:02 AM)steve.esper Wrote:  hey Viking great job on the custom ash hero, turned out great.

Thanks Steve!
02-13-2011, 06:54 PM
(02-13-2011 03:46 AM)Russ Wrote:  Holy crap! Sorry...I didn't realize it was that big!!

I was referring to the size of the picture I uploaded. I swear I didn't realize how incredibly open I was leaving myself for a "TWSS" joke! Freak02