Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First Try-out for FANG
11-10-2011, 05:23 PM
First Try-out for FANG
Hey! I actually had some time free with the two oldest boys and we gave FANG a go for the first time. We took Jacques Moreau, Jake Zane, and (I took) Sharon Hunter (because it seemed like a good classic hero set - the daring hero, the rival and the adventurous news lady!). We set out in a co-opp game agains the Nazis!

Sharon was hilarious - always the Cliffhanger, which she succeeded. She started out with a driver and REALLY needed him as the boat was about to go over the waterfall (S: "Allright...now you can drive..." D: "But you wanted the boats...I did cars, you said..." S: "Really, now is not the time for this..."). They had previous troubles on the Bridge (S: "It's a small car...it'll be fine. You are a great driver! I'll do the boats.") They had trouble with the puzzles (S:"Just twitch its nose..." D: "How do you 'twitch a nose'?" S: "Just do the turn...Oh, Wow!....No! You 'tweaked it'!" D: "No...that was a 'Twitch'!") But three cliffhangers will get the job done!

Jake was funny, too....he loved San Francisco and the city loved him! He always rolled a '1' for movement, when he went back, the City card applauded him and gave him a parade, he even drew a City Card that was a Secret Delivery to San Fran....when he was IN San Fran!

Jacques had it rough....always the Templ with HUGE Fortune (10 and 8!)...he never finished one but slowly got the money! he had to battle Tessa and nazis that dropped on him from the Zeppelin and Blitzing Nazis and jeesh! But he kept Fighting them!

Ultimately, ythe Nazis beat us....15 Villain Track while we had 21 Fortune....those Vile Tactics mount up! Should raided a Base....if we could get Jake out of his favorite City!

Oh.....one more note: The coincidences!!
Starting Secret Nazi Base? Germany! Uh...Adolf....not so secret, dude!
Temple of Posiedon? Greece! Of course....

......AND..........

Jake and Sharon teamed up on the adventure of the Gauntlet of the Dead..... they fought Zombies! Where???? In the Heartland of the USA. Yep. Jake and Sharon were in Woodinvale in 1930!!!!!!!! Love It!

11-11-2011, 06:57 AM
RE: First Try-out for FANG
Great post. This game sounds so awesome. I hope santa shows me some FANG love for christmas. How similar is it to ATOE?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2011, 02:01 PM
RE: First Try-out for FANG
The basics of the coop game (which I enjoy the most): the villains (nazi or mob on automatic rules) are trying to score Fortune points before your team of players do. You score Fortune by collecting artifacts, of which there are four at any time on the board. To gather an artifact, you must succeed in a set number of 'dangers', each requiring your character to make successful skill tests. Each character has different skill levels which can be modified by Event Cards, Allies, and Gear (usually purchased through uising Glory which is gathered through completed dangers...like ATOE). The Vile Organization (nazis or mob) will also be on the board and hunting artifacts (on thier own or directly against the players), but through a very simplified system (you don't waste time with Nazi/Mob details).

Due to the game's interplay with systems (some of which I don't detail here as it would get long winded), the game turns into a race against the Nazis/Mob where you make strategic decisions to group chracters on dangers, delay to gather equipment, fight the opponents directly or even raid their bases to mess them up. The enemy will by card flip (like ATOE Mystery Cards and Tactic charts) be messing you up in thematic ways (War Zeppelins, blitzkrieg, occupation, kidnapping, extortion, etc.).

The only downside I saw in the game (besides really having to get your mind wrapped around the rules) was a tendency to forget where you might be within the turn (but my session was chaotic in the players) and a shortage of danger cards which might get a little redundent (only a little).

I intend to make a Phase Tracker and post it here and a set of Cheat sheets for the Coop game (also post them here). As to the Danger Cards - i have a feeling that the Frog will supply us with new expansions to included them (Spider Queen?). Happily, the upper limit of size of the Danger Card deck would not possibly affect game-play, so there can be hundreds of new cards to keep things fresh.

Caveat: FANG is a theme game. If you do not usually get into the spirit of the theme and 'see' a story with every flip of the card or throw of the dice - if you only see game mechanics and tactics to win - then (like ATOE), you may not enjoy FANG to the fullest. For example, the character Sharon Hunter starts with an Ally. I drew 'Driver' - a generic character that increases movement and provides a bonus to vehicle skill tests. If you look at this as simply a generic skill enhancer, then FANG might be less than you'd like. If you immediately call him 'Driver Dave', and say the newspaper assigned him to their ace reporter and actually talk about their trials on the dangers (like I have done above!!!!) , then you will find FANG totally amazing.