Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First game will be this weekend!
04-04-2014, 08:36 PM
First game will be this weekend!
I just picked up a copy of FanG and we'll be playing our first game of it on Saturday night!

Any pointers from the pros?

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2014, 01:28 AM
RE: First game will be this weekend!
No pointers, but please post an honest review! Interested in the game, but it will be crazy expensive in Singapore and is tough to find.

Worried about replayability, seems much lower than LNOE.
04-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Buy a couple of business card holders from an office supply store. I use the one with nine slots. Makes card organization a breeze.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
04-05-2014, 05:29 PM
You'll need lenty of table space for all the card decks. I prefer to play co-op and start with the Mob as the Vile Organisation, you'll love the Kidnapp tactic - we've had Baxter the Dog and the Preseident of the United States kidnapped by the Mob but only managed to rescue one!
04-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Well, we've got three games under our belt so far. All Competitive though and all basic play. Although in the last game I did get the group to go with adding the small text on the Adventure cards and Air travel. (We could not figure out why it should be cheaper to fly to a Major City than a Minor City...?).

Next I'm working on getting Deep Jungle and Temples into play. We're taking baby steps.

The game is a hit. We've played a two-player game (my wife and myself) and two five-player games. There is lots of action, lots of rolling, lots of celebration and crying. All of the games have been very close and come down to the wire. The five-player games each took about 2 1/2 hours but we figure it will speed up as we get better. A couple of players in the group have now announced that this is their favorite of the FFP games so far - beating out ATOE and LNOE....greater control of their own destiny in the game being cited as the reason.

I can very happily claim that I do not have buyer's remorse for caughing up the sticker price. I was lucky to find the game for the price I got nowadays. Although considering the content I don't really see the driving factor that this game should cost two times what ATOE goes for. There are a comparable number of cards and figures - perhaps a little more, but I don't think it's double. The board is bigger, and the box seems bigger than it needs to be (larger than the folded board). But it is the same high quality and is definitely fun to play. There's enough "bad" event cards you can play on other players to keep you invested for the entire round and good interaction.

I'm looking forward to our next sessions!

04-07-2014, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2014 02:33 PM by mqstout.)
Cheaper to fly, thematically: This is the golden era of pulp. There are actually regular flights to major cities. Minor cities, you have to roll-your-own.

Small text: my group almost never uses these. Even with the reprinted versions with larger text from the one expansion, they're just too much of a mess to keep track of.

I love FANG. It currently is my favorite game (slightly beating out LNOE). Some people don't enjoy it, though, because they don't bring/add/read their own flavor. I'm glad to hear you like it! Pick up the expansions post-haste.

Were you playing competitively, teams, coop-vs-enemy?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Two of my kids and one son-in-law came over on Sunday and we got them in on a game. My wife's and my 4th game now - all Competitive. We got the Temples going in this game and they worked out well. We liked them. Getting "instant" Fortune is fun while daring the building threat of collapse. It was a good add on. Well my kids loved it too. So it sure looks like this will stick around for a while. My one daughter is already clamoring to play it again and she wasn't even the winner of the game.

Next on - Deep Jungle and the Zeppelin!

I don't see yet how you add on Villains in Competitive play. They appear to be for Co-op only?

04-08-2014, 02:45 AM
Great that you're enjoying a great game!

My natural FFP progression was LNOE, then ATOE... then onto FANG. I've seen many other examples here on the forums where other members have also followed similarly.

3 awesome games... that are very different. Love it.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...