Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First play of The Coast
04-13-2013, 02:29 AM
First play of The Coast
Received the coast this morning and played this evening. Out of the four new Villains we randomly picked Siren, and oh boy what a challenge she turned out to be. The wounding yourself on rolls of one is a nightmare.

Good game though and well balanced, from first impressions The Coast seams to add a lot to the game.

Next game booked foe 11 in the morning, that will be two games in about 18 hours by the time I've finished Watchmen02
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2013, 05:58 PM
RE: First play of The Coast
11 am today we started the Ghost Ship scenario, this was very tough going with the Cursed Gold being spread at locations very widely spread over the 3 boards and with low average movement rolls it took far too long to get around. 6 hours later we had defeated the villain with all six heroes still Alive.

Despite it being a very long game it was really enjoyable.

Now that's almost 10 hours ATOE play time in just over 20 hours, can't wait for the next, hopefully shorter game next week Watchmen02
04-13-2013, 06:38 PM
I've only played The Coast once so far as I've been getting used to Something Wicked - got both expansions for Christmas.

My feeling is that the co-operative chart shortens the game and prevents the characters from being able to fully explore Echo Lake.
04-13-2013, 06:44 PM
My feelings are that the new co-op chart in most cases lengthens the game quite a bit, but at the same time makes the game more interesting
04-16-2013, 08:52 AM
(04-13-2013 06:44 PM)spirit Wrote:  My feelings are that the new co-op chart in most cases lengthens the game quite a bit, but at the same time makes the game more interesting

I agree about it making the game more interesting but surprised it shortens the game. It can be quite brutal and often prevents the Heroes from moving and gaining investigations. Do you play all the advanced rules? Perhaps my tactics / priorities are wrong?
04-16-2013, 09:31 AM
(04-16-2013 08:52 AM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  
(04-13-2013 06:44 PM)spirit Wrote:  My feelings are that the new co-op chart in most cases lengthens the game quite a bit, but at the same time makes the game more interesting

I agree about it making the game more interesting but surprised it shortens the game. It can be quite brutal and often prevents the Heroes from moving and gaining investigations. Do you play all the advanced rules? Perhaps my tactics / priorities are wrong?

Yes we play all ad an anvanced rules , although I have flound out for the past few games we've been playing base game a little wrong and not moving the track as often as it should
04-16-2013, 05:41 PM
I am glad you are enjoying the Coast. It is an excellent expansion, I agree. I found that it made the game a lot more challenging, which in my opinion, made it easier to lose in Co-Op.

@Achtung Panzer, I agree that the Coast almost makes Echo lake obsolete. I would like to see more with the Forgotten Island.
04-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Played again tonight and it flowed better, better cards coming up from the start and finished in about 2.5 hours.
To try and get some movement on middle board we placed 4 investigation on Forgotten Island at the beginning, seemed to work ok.

Shadow track was down in first red zone when we took on villain but in hindsight could have gone earlier
05-23-2013, 08:09 AM
It can get fiddly with the Advanced Co-Op chart, plus all the extra abilities of the Siren etc. Wait'll you try the Sunken Seven- you're in for a treat!
06-12-2013, 09:45 PM
We really enjoy The Coast but find it plays better without Echo Lake - just the base board and the coast board. We have found that the inclusion of all three boards seems to drag the game out as it becomes relatively much slower to get around. That's where the idea of the Hurry-up roll came about though. That works ok if there is enough investigation around. Watchmen02