Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Forklift
06-09-2011, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2011 05:12 PM by samuraitrev.)
RE: Forklift
I'd like to see the Forklift Truck used as a Zombie mashing machine. These rules are for

Ram
Crush
Impale

Ram

1) If it gets a movement value of 4+ on 1D6 it can ram Zombies

(As you'll know they take a while to build up speed. I've actually got a licence and used to drive one for work)Watchmen02

2) If a Zombie is Rammed/hit by the armoured Forklift it is wounded on a 3+ on 1D6

3) An optional extra is once per game you may choose to Ram a building (again 4+ on 1D6.)

This would a) create 1 new door (counters are with the Growing Hunger expansion).

or

b) If hit with a movement value of 6+ on 1D6 the heroes may choose to Ram and destroy the building. Instantly killing all Zombies and Heroes inside. (Put an upside down Lights Out or They've taken the.. marker over it) Zombies or Heroes may not enter it and Spawning Pits are no longer used.

Crush

3) The forklift can raise the forks or lower the forks for one movement point. (So 2 if you raise and lower)

4) If a Zombie is crushed (you lower the forks from the raised position)
It is Instantly Killed on a 2+

Impale

5) If the Zombie is hit by the Forklift it may be impaled by one of the forks. This is done by discarding any Hero card when hitting a Zombie against a wall edge. (corners don't apply) If the Zombie is implaed it is wounded on a 2+ on 1D6 (so If any Zombies have more than one wound they are stuck on the end of the forks until Killed. This can be done by crushing them (see

4) Or shooting at them with ranged weapons or attacking them hand to hand (Zombie gets 1D6 -1 loses on ties)

As you can see it's a killing machine but here's the balance part.

1) Heroes can only have three Characters (The forth is in the Fork Truck for the duration of the game).

2) Heroes lose the Scenario if 2 or more Characters are killed.

Forklift Scenario 1 Smash 'N Grab)

Turns 15

Victor in the Forklift Truck trying to smash into the Bank. Hell to the Zombies it's payday!

Must create a door using the Ram option 4+ on 1D6.

Then

Get to the road out of town. with the Money token.

In this Scenario the Zombie player controls Sheriff Anderson and Rachelle. To maim/kill Victor they must try to fire into the Forklift Truck (-1 Range) and (5+ to hit.). Dynamite or Gasoline always causes one wound on Victor if it hits the Forklift Truck .

There is only a Zombie Pool of 7.

These can be controlled by a third player. Or with two players they have to always move towards the nearest Hero.

Scenario 2 I Know a Way Out of Here... )

Turns 15

One of the Anderson's must be included. (Odds) Billy. (Evens) Sheriff Anderson.

Raising the Statue counter from the Town Centre with the Forklift Truck to reveal a secret passage out of the town.

Heroes must first find the Unique Item card Book of Family History (because it's the Anderson family crypt). (just use a deck of 5 Unique Items and shuffle them before the game.

And a Fire item or Flashlight.

Use the two sewer sections fron SOTF and put them together on the side of the board. Each costs three movement points to travel down (so a total of 6) to escape the town.

Just some thoughts feel free to add.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2011, 06:26 PM
(06-09-2011 05:04 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I'd like to see the Forklift Truck used as a Zombie mashing machine. These rules are for

Ram
Crush
Impale

Ram

1) If it gets a movement value of 4+ on 1D6 it can ram Zombies

(As you'll know they take a while to build up speed. I've actually got a licence and used to drive one for work)Watchmen02

2) If a Zombie is Rammed/hit by the armoured Forklift it is wounded on a 3+ on 1D6

3) An optional extra is once per game you may choose to Ram a building (again 4+ on 1D6.)

This would a) create 1 new door (counters are with the Growing Hunger expansion).

I think ramming a new door into a building ought to do a wound to the forklift.

Quote:or

b) If hit with a movement value of 6+ on 1D6 the heroes may choose to Ram and destroy the building. Instantly killing all Zombies and Heroes inside. (Put an upside down Lights Out or They've taken the.. marker over it) Zombies or Heroes may not enter it and Spawning Pits are no longer used.

This I'm not sure about. A forklift generally doesn't have enough oomph to take out a building. A tank or a bulldozer would...

Quote:Crush

3) The forklift can raise the forks or lower the forks for one movement point. (So 2 if you raise and lower)

4) If a Zombie is crushed (you lower the forks from the raised position)
It is Instantly Killed on a 2+

Impale

5) If the Zombie is hit by the Forklift it may be impaled by one of the forks. This is done by discarding any Hero card when hitting a Zombie against a wall edge. (corners don't apply) If the Zombie is implaed it is wounded on a 2+ on 1D6 (so If any Zombies have more than one wound they are stuck on the end of the forks until Killed. This can be done by crushing them (see

4) Or shooting at them with ranged weapons or attacking them hand to hand (Zombie gets 1D6 -1 loses on ties)

As you can see it's a killing machine but here's the balance part.

1) Heroes can only have three Characters (The forth is in the Fork Truck for the duration of the game).

2) Heroes lose the Scenario if 2 or more Characters are killed.

Forklift Scenario 1 Smash 'N Grab)

Turns 15

Victor in the Forklift Truck trying to smash into the Bank. Hell to the Zombies it's payday!

Must create a door using the Ram option 4+ on 1D6.

Then

Get to the road out of town. with the Money token.

In this Scenario the Zombie player controls Sheriff Anderson and Rachelle. To maim/kill Victor they must try to fire into the Forklift Truck (-1 Range) and (5+ to hit.). Dynamite or Gasoline always causes one wound on Victor if it hits the Forklift Truck .

There is only a Zombie Pool of 7.

These can be controlled by a third player. Or with two players they have to always move towards the nearest Hero.

Scenario 2 I Know a Way Out of Here... )

Turns 15

One of the Anderson's must be included. (Odds) Billy. (Evens) Sheriff Anderson.

Raising the Statue counter from the Town Centre with the Forklift Truck to reveal a secret passage out of the town.

Heroes must first find the Unique Item card Book of Family History (because it's the Anderson family crypt). (just use a deck of 5 Unique Items and shuffle them before the game.

And a Fire item or Flashlight.

Use the two sewer sections fron SOTF and put them together on the side of the board. Each costs three movement points to travel down (so a total of 6) to escape the town.

Just some thoughts feel free to add.

I like your scenario ideas.
06-09-2011, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2011 08:04 PM by samuraitrev.)
I think ramming a new door into a building ought to do a wound to the forklift.

Yeah true. It shouldn't be invincible. I mean there's Gasoline in it plus compressed air tanks if they get punctured. BOOM!!

This I'm not sure about. A forklift generally doesn't have enough oomph to take out a building. A tank or a bulldozer would...

Just throwing ideas around really. How about one of the smaller 2 square buildings, Such as the Police Station, Post Office and Farm House assuming they're already structurally weakend by Zombies coming through the walls and floor?

Thanks for putting together this cool thread I've often wondered what could be done with some of the spare counters.
06-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Nice ideas there Trev.
I love the idea of ramming a new "entry/exit"

When destroying a building how about adding that there is a chance of getting burried under the rubble?

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
(06-10-2011 09:33 AM)Emp Wrote:  I love the idea of ramming a new "entry/exit"

That's what she said...
06-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Ok, so here is my current draft for my forklift rules that I am hoping to playtest soon. This is just my version... yours may differ of course! There were a lot of good ideas that I unfortunately felt the need to leave out in order to keep the whole thing from getting too complicated (it's pretty complicated as it is).

Quote:"Zombie-proofed" Forklift (Heroes ***)

The Heroes have a powerful, nearly zombie-proofed, armoured forklift that they can drive around the map. Unless otherwise specified by a Scenario, the forklift is electrically powered, and requires no fuel or keys to run. It can be used to ram things, provide protection for Heroes, and lift and transport heavy objects around the map. Use the forklift token from the Growing Hunger expansion to represent the forklift, or another token if you do not have the expansion.

Entering/Exiting

Any Hero may enter/exit the forklift during their movement phase, at a cost of one movement point. Only one Hero (the driver) may be inside the forklift's cabin at a given time. Once inside the cabin, the driver is largely protected from fights with zombies that are outside the cabin; any Zombie that has already climbed on top of the forklift may attempt to fight the Hero only after rolling a d6 and obtaining a roll of 6+, as they reach through the vision slits and attempt to get a hold of the Hero.

Note that although a Zombie may not directly enter or exit the forklift's cabin (Zombies are too stupid to work the door), it's possible that the driver may somehow become turned into a Zombie Hero, and become trapped inside. Zombies inside the cabin may not drive the forklift, but any Hero that enters the cabin must kill any zombies inside it before they can drive the forklift.

Riding The Forklift

Heroes and Zombies may also ride the outside of the forklift. Climbing on to the outside of the forklift or climbing down from it costs one movement point. The forklift is considered to take up two squares, a front square, and a back square, either of which may be occupied by Heroes or Zombies. The front square and the back square are considered adjacent to each other and also to the cabin. The forklift itself occupies as many squares on the board as its token would cover in its given location (i.e. one square in the large Centre of Town squares or other such squares, or two squares elsewhere).

While riding the forklift, a Hero or Zombie moves along with the forklift when it moves during the driver's Movement Phase, however they may still use their own movement phase to move between the front and rear squares of the forklift, or to climb down from it.

Models and tokens that are on a square of the forklift are not considered to be in the same square as models or tokens that are in the board square that a given forklift square resides on top of. E.g., if Sam is riding the forklift, and there is a Zombie on the ground in the same board square, they do not have to fight during the Fight phase of either of their turns, but if the Zombie were also riding the forklift in the same forklift square as Sam, then they would be considered in the same square and would have to fight. Similarly, if Jenny were on the ground, Sam and Jenny could not be targeted by "This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth," because they are not considered in the same square, but if she were on top of the forklift with him in the same forklift square, they would. The exception to this rule is that explosives and gas markers that would affect a given board square will also affect forklift squares above them. Hence, dynamiting a board square that also has the forklift on it will potentially affect any Zombies and Heroes who are riding a portion of the forklift that resides in that square (or the cabin for that matter), in addition to possibly damaging the forklift (see Damaging, below).

In the event that a Hero dies while riding the forklift and would turn into a Zombie Hero, the Zombie Hero falls off the forklift into the square that the given square of the forklift occupies, as it's presumed that in the brief moment between death and zombiehood, the Zombie falls off. Similarly, any droppable tokens that a Hero was carrying when they died (regardless of whether or not they become a Zombie Hero) are dropped into the same board square.

If at the start of any Zombie turn the forklift has 8 or more Zombies in any combination of its squares or the cabin, then the forklift is considered Overrun. Zombies may then attack the driver as per normal (i.e. no penalty due to armour), and the forklift may not move until it is no longer Overrun, as the sheer weight of all the zombies on top of it overburdens it, not to mention the fact that the driver is unable to see where they are going. Some Scenarios may attach certain goals and win conditions to the Overrun state on a per-Scenario basis, such as "The Zombies win if the forklift is Overrun."

Ranged Attacks

The driver may still make ranged attacks from inside the cabin, at a -1 penalty to their die rolls, due to the difficulty in shooting out of the narrow slits in the forklift's armour. Heroes riding the outside of the forklift may make ranged attacks as per normal. Range calculations for ranged attacks are based on the board square under which the given forklift square resides, and thus take no height or elevation into account. Zombies trapped inside the cabin may only be targeted with ranged attacks from Heroes that are in the same board square as either the front or the back of the forklift, as the armour slits are too narrow to get a shot through otherwise and still hope to hit something.

Movement

During the driver's Movement Phase, the driver may choose to move the forklift 1d6 spaces if the forklift is unloaded, or 1d3 spaces if it is loaded. When moving, the forklift pivots on its front space, and always points in the direction of travel (the driver can't see out the back, so it may not drive in reverse). If the forklift occupies two board squares, then the rear square of the forklift always resides in the square that the forklift just traveled from. For example, if the forklift moves diagonally, then its rear space is considered to be in the diagonal square from whence the forklift just moved.

The forklift may enter buildings via doors as per normal Hero movement through doors. If a door is somehow locked, the forklift may ram it (see Ramming, below).

Damage

The forklift is considered to have 4 wound levels (Wounded x3, and Disabled). Once Disabled, the forklift cannot be moved, and cannot be loaded or unloaded, unless it is once again repaired to a functional state.

Zombies on top of the forklift or inside of the cabin may attack the forklift during the Fight phase of the Zombie turn, but only if currently unaffected by Zombie Hunger (they will mindlessly attempt to attack any humans they can first). When attacking the forklift, the Zombie rolls a d6; on a roll of 5+, the forklift suffers a wound.

The forklift is affected by explosives and gas marker detonations as if it were a Hero.

Repairing

Damage to the forklift can be repaired in certain circumstances. A Hero may discard Jeb The Grease Monkey at any time to Fully Heal the forklift. Alternatively, a Hero in possession of the Welding Torch, Jeb's Lucky Wrench, or the Monkey Wrench may give up their move action on their turn if in one of the spaces of the forklift (or the board space(s) underneath it) in order to heal one Wound on the forklift.

Loading/Unloading

Some Scenarios require using the forklift to load/unload items. Loading or unloading an item requires that the driver sacrifice their move action for the turn.

Ramming

The forklift may be used to ram Zombies. During the movement phase, any zombies either on the ground in the same space as the front of the forklift, or in a space that the front of the forklift moves into, may be rammed. The driver rolls a d6 for each Zombie thus rammed. On a result of 5+, that Zombie is instantly killed.

The forklift may also be used to ram new doors into buildings, or to ram through locked doors. When attempting to ram a building or a door, the forklift must build up enough speed to ram through it.

In the case of walls, the forklift must have traveled at least 2 spaces on its movement in the turn it rams the wall, and have at least one movement left over to break through the wall (hence, the forklift will have to have had at least 3 movement in total that turn). Otherwise, the forklift cannot move through the wall. Upon attempting to ram the wall, roll a d6. On a roll of 5+, the wall is successfully rammed. If successfully rammed, place a door token on the wall that was rammed. Since this door is a gaping hole that can never be closed or locked, this door may never be locked; place some form of marker upon it if necessary to keep track of this. Regardless of success or failure in ramming, the forklift takes 1 wound for the attempt.

In the case of a ramming a previously existing door, only 1 space of movement is required prior to hitting the door, for a total of two movement required including the 1 movement to ram through the door. Ramming a locked door permanently unlocks it (it may never be locked again since it is destroyed). Ramming requires no roll to succeed, but it still deals a wound to the forklift.
07-26-2011, 05:53 PM
We playtested these rules last night with a custom scenario and so far so good. Before creating the scenario I corrected a mistake I made... I meant the forklift to be worth 4 dots so that it could be paired with Zombies Autospawn. We did find a few areas we needed to clarify, so I will be updating the rules.

- The forklift cannot move through sewers (duh) or through tight spaces like buildings that touch on a corner.

- Getting in/out we changed to take up your whole move action. The revised version will read that you can give up your move action in order to move the forklift, which does not in any way count as the hero moving themselves. This gets around weird scenarios like driving the forklift across the map and then hopping out and taking your regular move.

- We also decided that although you roll a die to move the forklift, it does not have "movement dice." Otherwise you could do screwy things like use Broken Ankle on the forklift, Billy's Track Star Ability, etc. etc. We did kind of want Heavy Rain to apply, but that was seemingly the one good case in a sea of broken situations that would come up, so we just decided to not allow anything that affects Hero movement to affect the forklift

- The forklift stops its movement when it encounters a square with a zombie in it, the same as Heroes do. The forklift does not have "Blitz." We debated maybe changing this so that it DOES Blitz, but we'll decide that upon further playtesting. Thematically, Blitzing makes sense, the only real reason it's been left out was for balance concerns.

- We debated whether or not the rolls to attack a human inside the forklift, as well as the rolls to ram zombies, needed to be made easier. For now we'll keep an eye on it and playtest it further.

I'll post my custom scenario later tonight when I'm at home and have access to it.
07-26-2011, 06:56 PM
I like the changes and look forward to the new rules set. I think the shorter you can make the rules for the Forklift the better. Something that could fit on one of the scenario cards would be a great extra for the game.

Good work Mechanik!
07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
(07-26-2011 06:56 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I like the changes and look forward to the new rules set. I think the shorter you can make the rules for the Forklift the better. Something that could fit on one of the scenario cards would be a great extra for the game.

Good work Mechanik!

Thanks!

I think it would be really hard though to get them to fit on a scenario card. Those scenario cards are not very big. I had trouble just getting my scenario rules to fit while using 6 pt font.

I'm attaching the scenario I created. The basic idea is the Heroes must use the forklift to move barricades from the Junkyard to a Safehouse.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Barricade_The.pdf (Size: 179.65 KB / Downloads: 10)
07-27-2011, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2011 02:22 PM by samuraitrev.)
Great stuff I downloaded it and saved it. I will let you know when I get around to playing it.

Thanks again!