Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Story time - 'Look... it's irrational but let me explain how I got here' (Zombicide)
07-23-2022, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2022 04:31 PM by Raynor.)
Toungue Story time - 'Look... it's irrational but let me explain how I got here' (Zombicide)
Board game Story time, if you're interested. Watchmen02

Ok so about 18 months ago I owned 0 Zombicides. But you know, Last Night on Earth was my gateway game. I still love it, but I don't always want to have to play one vs many. Sometimes I just want to play Left4Dead version of the genre and slaughter hordes of zombie minions with my friends.

Anyway... I'd played the original Zombicide back in 2010 or so, and always wanted to pick up a copy but totally wasn't paying attention to Kickstarter until a week after it was too late to late back Zombicide 2E. Oh the regret!

I looked into what it would cost to pick up a Zombicide KS on the second hand market. Everyone said Black Plague was the best, but prices were going for like $2000 on the secondhand market for all-ins (with GreenHorde). I resigned myself to never acquiring a copy. A lot of people praised Invader too, but it was also running up to $600 for an all in, and most of the extra exclusives didn't seem to warrant that high a price.

So uh... I was an all-in backer for Western when it came along... It seemed like the best option was to get in on the actual Kickstarter rather than try to hunt stuff down second hand. *sigh* And let me pause to say, I'm still excited for this to show up. It looks really fun, and I love the theme... Anyway...

But you know, I do like the modern setting, so I grabbed Zombicide 2E when it arrived in retail. Just the base game. I've painted it up, and like it quite a bit. It came with 12 heroes and 4 abominations so I don't feel the need to expand it like the old Zombicides which had no variety in the core boxes. It's lower on the totem pole of my favorite games but I do enjoy playing it.

2 Zombicides seemed like a reasonable amount. But then... they released Marvel Zombies! I'm not a super fan, but I really like Marvel. This is such a cool mash up! It's like someone's cool home brew got turned into reality! I mean, I tried talking myself out of it, but Marvel Zombies! In Zombicide! This is great! I had to back, and I decided to figure out what to do about having 3 zombicide games later. 3 is definitely too many.

Anyway... I have another CMON game called Project Elite, which I just adore. It's hanging out in my top 5 games, just a few spots below A Touch of Evil. Great game, and they released a cross-over pack for Zombicide Invader for this game, and while I didn't want to pay the extremely high aftermarket prices for the kickstarter, I was looking for either just the core box or just the hero minis from the core box to add to Project Elite to use with the crossover pack I'd picked up. Yeah... couldn't find it for a good price at all. Everytime a used copy would show up on ebay, people would bid up to full retail price for the core game, which felt pretty irrational to me but whatever. Anyway a few months ago a Kickstarter copy showed up in a local board game auction and I bid just the basic retail price for the core game and got it...

... Ok, so maybe I didn't think this through. Now I'm going to be sitting on 4 Zombicides. I already painted most of 2E and don't want to get rid of it... so.... maybe I should just sell most of Invader...? Dang it. Nope. We played it and it's substantially better than Zombicide 2E. The theme really works for me, and I really like this game. Oh no.

I knew this was a dilemma already, but I was putting off thinking about till Western showed up but it gets worse...

A while back I traded for an all-in set of Mansions of Madness 2E. I had come around to the fact that I really didn't want to play it compared to my other Gothic/Eldritch horror games, due to a variety of factors, but it was such a massive pile of customized game pieces I hadn't mustered the energy to attempt and sell the thing.

Enter the final problem. The friend who originally traded me Mansions, had somehow acquired most of Green Horde and Black Plague for some REALLY good pricing. Like original kickstarter pricing. He loves to wheel and deal, and had aimed at Medieval zombicide because it was his favorite setting and had the best reviews, and he got nearly everything! He introduced me to it, and I really enjoyed it! I felt very fortunate to get the chance to have my copies, and then go to his house and play with him. He liked the arrangement, I liked the arrangement, his kids liked the arrangement... until they didn't. One day he pinged me to let me know his kids didn't want to play Zombicide with him anymore so he was going to move on from the game, since he would only be playing with me. He knew I liked Black Plague, and also that I had been planning to sell Mansions, so he offered to trade me the entire set for his old Mansions of Madness collection + some other stuff I was getting rid of, and then he'd just sell that stuff and play Zombicide when he was at my house. Look I know I already have 4 Zombicides but Medieval Zombicide is REALLY cool guys.

so.... yeahhhhh....

I uh... know this irrational! I just wanted one or two Zombicides. So maybe, ... I'll pick one to get rid of??? But I like all these! ARgh!

anyway... that's it for storytime. Thanks for reading, if you made it this far. I hope it was entertaining. Gothic/Eldritch Horror and Adventure games are probably still my favorite genre, but I clearly still love the Zombie theme. This was a seriously slippery slope for me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2022, 06:08 PM
RE: Story time
We've all been there!

I had the original Zombicide didn't care for it & sold it, the Game was OK & gave the feeling of
Zombie Hordes but I just didn't like the Room Tiles(The bathrooms opening onto the streets was
just too dumb).

I missed the Black Plague KS but was able to pick up the Core Game & Expansions via Ebay before
the prices became insane. It was my last great painting project. Since then, I got Dark Side & Black Ops
& picked up a few individual figs off Ebay. I also found Green Horde for a good price which led to picking
up the Expansions.

Zombicide is basically 1 Game in different settings, but I love the figs. & the Settings are different enough
to justify having multiple Zombicides ,so keep'em all.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
07-23-2022, 06:16 PM
RE: Story time
(07-23-2022 06:08 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  We've all been there!

I had the original Zombicide didn't care for it & sold it, the Game was OK & gave the feeling of
Zombie Hordes but I just didn't like the Room Tiles(The bathrooms opening onto the streets was
just too dumb).

I missed the Black Plague KS but was able to pick up the Core Game & Expansions via Ebay before
the prices became insane. It was my last great painting project. Since then, I got Dark Side & Black Ops
& picked up a few individual figs off Ebay. I also found Green Horde for a good price which led to picking
up the Expansions.

Zombicide is basically 1 Game in different settings, but I love the figs. & the Settings are different enough
to justify having multiple Zombicides ,so keep'em all.

OD

<3 Thank you for being an enabling force for good :-D I didn't know you also had Black Plague OD! It's good to know I'm not alone. hahaha. I think I might do exactly what you suggest and keep them all Watchmen02