Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gamefly anyone?
04-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Gamefly anyone?
I've been subscribed to gamefly for about half a year now an recently I've been wondering if its worth it for me. Its $15 a month to have 1 disc out at a time but most of the time it takes the newer games forever to be available so I end up sitting around with no games. For example right now I have Tomb Raider and the new Walking Dead game in my Q...they've been there for 2 weeks and I haven't seen any of them...Bioshock also came out recently and I just ended up renting it for 3 days through redbox because it was readily available. Its just the waiting that kills me especially for $180 a year. I just don't know if I'm getting my money's worth.

So..anyone else using Gamefly?

"My mama always told me someday I'd be good at something. Who'd a guessed that something'd be zombie-killing?" -Tallahassee
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 12:53 PM by zachmaio.)
RE: Gamefly anyone?
Do we have any rules against *bump*ing on the forums here? I don't want to be an improper poster. Just really looking for an opinion here..unless there is no one here that uses said service..then this thread is as useless as Sheriff Anderson's pistol... :/

and if we did have rules about *bump*ing I just broke them.. :X

"My mama always told me someday I'd be good at something. Who'd a guessed that something'd be zombie-killing?" -Tallahassee
04-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Rules are for the weak. We don't.

I don't. I do use Netflix (disk version since most of what I want to watch isn't streamable...) and I'm very slow on my turnover, but I like to keep my queue going and it's nice to have it there. However, movies are very different than games. 2 hours vs 20+ hours.

$180/year. That's about 3-4 games purchased annually if you purchase new. Threw in some purchased used for a few more. That you can then play at your own pace. When you want to, without worry. Including no remorse of "eh, I don't want to play this one right now, but I will later..." For games you're unsure of, you can still rent a few via Redbox to get your impressions.

I would dump it. Particularly since I hear Gamefly's shipping and customer service is pretty crap. The model works for how people consume films, but not for how they consume games.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Re: Gamefly anyone?
I agree with everything you said. And its $180 plus the couple games I will buy new anyways because I'll play them a lot ( call of duty/battlefield/gta) I'm going to dump gamefly and start using redbox. I think that will be the way to go. Especially since you can reserve games at redbox. Thanks for your input mqstout!

04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I've done the game chase at redbox and its frustrating. I deal with it though cause I like to play a little more than a demo when trying out a game. I've been burned too many times running out and buying a new release and coming home and getting crap. Gamefly seemed like a good idea just poorly thought out, they never keep enough new titles on hand to cover the demand with people sitting on them for as long as they do, and with multiplayer having pass codes now for access I'd just rather buy the game..

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
04-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Re: Gamefly anyone?
I agree Friskers...there's nothing worse than spending $60 for a game then getting home and its shit..I hate that more than anything. Luckily with redbox I live right in the city so there are like 8 redboxes within a 2 mile radius of my house! And yeah gamefly would be awesome if they actually stocked new titles..but they don't. They should do it all digital and you just swap out download codes when you're done with a game. That would be the ideal solution..but I guess they'd only have x amount of digital copies so the same problems would persist...Uggh fail

04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
I stopped buying Nintendo products because of the copious amounts a shit they pump out. PS4 is rumored to not be backwards compatible, and they are looking to somehow make games tagged with like a coded rf-I'd-tag or something to only make them playable on one system. Again those at rumors flying round the net. I could go on for days about this and I don't want to hijack a thread to vent. But 3ds games bumped nintendos price line from 30 to 40 bucks a title for not much more in the way of content and all for 3d that was unusable for most games IMO. Too much money for games these days, bottom line. I did get bioshock infinite. Love it, and it came with a copy of bioshock 1, I never played it so its like a two for one!!

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
04-03-2013, 05:56 PM
I believe SONY confirmed that the games wont be tagged for limiting use. The patent is in place for other options available to the devs.
I haven't used Gamefly but was thinking of splitting with my bro. Didn't know they had ridiculous waiting times.

Geez imagine the wait for LNoE on Boardgamefly?

If it was the last night on earth...I would spend it playing the Last Night on Earth.
04-04-2013, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 02:18 PM by zachmaio.)
(04-03-2013 04:41 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  I stopped buying Nintendo products because of the copious amounts a shit they pump out. PS4 is rumored to not be backwards compatible, and they are looking to somehow make games tagged with like a coded rf-I'd-tag or something to only make them playable on one system. Again those at rumors flying round the net. I could go on for days about this and I don't want to hijack a thread to vent. But 3ds games bumped nintendos price line from 30 to 40 bucks a title for not much more in the way of content and all for 3d that was unusable for most games IMO. Too much money for games these days, bottom line. I did get bioshock infinite. Love it, and it came with a copy of bioshock 1, I never played it so its like a two for one!!

Bioshock 1 is probably in my top 5 games ever. Its so good, ibreally hope you play through it. You will enjoy it immensely! Bioshock 2 was alright and Bioshock Infinite was also really good. So imo Bioshock 1 then Infinite then 2. Enjoy them though!

(04-03-2013 05:56 PM)maxfool Wrote:  I believe SONY confirmed that the games wont be tagged for limiting use. The patent is in place for other options available to the devs.
I haven't used Gamefly but was thinking of splitting with my bro. Didn't know they had ridiculous waiting times.

Geez imagine the wait for LNoE on Boardgamefly?

Haha boardgamefly I like it. Shipping may get expensive though :P and as far as gamefly goes right now..its more like boredgamefly...