Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Beginner's Guide To Painting Miniatures with VIDEO (Part 2 Shading)
03-21-2011, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 03:08 PM by samuraitrev.)
A Beginner's Guide To Painting Miniatures with VIDEO (Part 2 Shading)
Now looking at the pictures from the last guide or the basically painted model in your hand you could probably just go ahead and game with it now. However it could look so much better with just a few easy to follow techniques. I'm going to show you three. Just a thank you for the people out there who said they'd like to see more indepth guides with photos. You know who you are! All three techniques use a watered down colour that seeps and settles into the crevices leaving darker pigments there.

Shading (Washing Technique 1.)

Ok I use Games Workshop Washes range they are simple to use. If you look around there are probably other makes available too.
You just paint them straight from the pot with no mixing onto your model. Don't apply too much or it will run everywhere. Further more allow one wash to dry before applying another wash next to it they will mix and cause mayhem. This applies to all three techniques. You can see the result for yourselves. The Zombie on the left has been washed. See my you tube video guide here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rOQgOTm5...e=youtu.be

Shading (Watered Down Paint Technique 2 )
This method takes a little longer and can be hard for the beginner to get used to but will save you money.
This is the stage I used for years because washes and Inks weren't available and you can still get good results.
If you have a pipette put two drops of water on your palette/tile.
Now add a loaded amount of your basic colour. Mix it together.
Now clean your brush and add a smallish amount of Black to the mix. Mix it together.
(Another way would be use a watered down darker shade if you've got it)
Either way you should have a watered down darker shade of your original colour.
Clean your brush and add sparingly to your model. This is the middle Zombie.

Shading (More rightly known as a Glaze Technique 3)
This is another straight from the pot method. These colours have the highest and boldest amount of pigmentation. But leaves the colours looking really bright and shiny. But before you ignore it. Glazes can look very good for certain models such as Dragon's Scales or Monster's eyes. A good painter will learn to interchange between several different techniques. This is the Zombie on the right.

These three Zombies have been Shaded straight over a Sprayed White Undercoat. To get to this stage takes a matter of about 10-15 minutes tops. I've just used them for you to see the different techniques you can use.
Colours- Washes - Thraka Green, Badab Black, Devlan Mud, Asurmen Blue
Paints - Dark Angels Green, Chaos Black, Scorched Brown, Ultramarines Blue.
Inks/Glazes- Green Ink, Black Ink, Brown Ink, Sky Blue Ink.

My three heroes have been shaded using the washes (Technique 1)

See (Part 3) of this painting guide. For Highlighting Techniques http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...0#pid17010

Comments/questions welcome
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2011, 12:13 AM
RE: A Beginner's Guide To Painting Miniatures (Part 2 Shading)
anyone do dipping?
03-24-2011, 02:05 PM
RE: A Beginner's Guide To Painting Miniatures (Part 2 Shading)
(03-24-2011 12:13 AM)jeffwithpower Wrote:  anyone do dipping?

It's not a technique I've used before looks like if done correctly may save some time on quickly painting figures up.
12-08-2012, 03:12 PM
RE: A Beginner's Guide To Painting Miniatures with VIDEO (Part 2 Shading)
:EDIT:
I've added my youtube video to this thread (post 1 see after large blue text). Go have a lookZombie17
12-08-2012, 04:11 PM
RE: A Beginner's Guide To Painting Miniatures with VIDEO (Part 2 Shading)
Great job, nice to see these LNoE being painted in a vid!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user