Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Games for Xmas?
01-02-2014, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 06:03 AM by ForestRunner.)
RE: Games for Xmas?
(01-01-2014 07:48 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  
(12-28-2013 12:54 AM)ForestRunner Wrote:  I scored a couple of wargames... I'm happier than a pig in sh#t.

Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 - block wargame by Columbia Games. 4th edition of the publication with stunning mounted map. Have the 3rd edition, but 4th edition absolutely smashes it both in appearance and ruleset. My umpteenth block game!!

I'm interested in this as I got the C&C:N Austrian expansion and love all their Napoleonic stuff. A Waterloo-specific board / wargame would be cool - would you recommend?

G'day AP. I may not be the best person to recommend or not, being so completely Columbia Games blockgame biased. Lol.

I'll give it a go unbiased - Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 is best described as a light wargame, with a light ruleset. I find one can knock over a game in say 75-90 mins. It's a campaign game rather than a battle game as such. When one first checks out the rules, it's easy to presume "can this be historical?"... then one appreciates the point-to-point system works exceptionally well in actual play. Despite rules light and low block density (58 blocks - 24 French, 16 Anglo-Dutch, 18 Prussian), play is deep... similar to chess, one must think more than one move ahead.

I do feel if one is into block games, this is one of quintessential must haves. What I would recommend is checking out the Columbia Games homepage for the game... check out what it entails. Download a pdf version of the rules, then maybe go from there... I'm not sure if this will provide a mounted map however (a must have for me).

http://www.columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/que...ct_id=3201

If you're a slugfest type battle from the period, check out the Borodino 1812 page.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2014, 04:32 AM
(12-30-2013 03:58 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Alderdust, we haven't. I've played the first scenario... four times? None of the groups ever want to come back for campaign mode! I'll eventually find someone to do it.

Oh yeah I have gotten to chapter 7 and haven't finished yet but am very excited for heart of glorm and down wood tales.
01-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Got mage knight. Was surprised that the figures actually came painted
01-02-2014, 04:23 PM
(01-02-2014 04:19 PM)ch82 Wrote:  Got mage knight. Was surprised that the figures actually came painted

I've had it a while, it's a good game but somehow don't feel compelled to play often, yet can't put my finger on the reason why
01-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Mage Knight. The game I want to love but can't. The game I can't quite place why I don't like it. I can't say I "dislike" it, but I certainly don't like it. I've said it a lot that I feel it just needed another year of play testing and refining... like we're somehow playing a prerelease version.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2014, 06:55 PM
(01-02-2014 06:52 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Mage Knight. The game I want to love but can't. The game I can't quite place why I don't like it. I can't say I "dislike" it, but I certainly don't like it. I've said it a lot that I feel it just needed another year of play testing and refining... like we're somehow playing a prerelease version.

Well with the money I had left over I've just ordered expansions for Mage Knight to see if they make the flow better and the urge to play greater
01-06-2014, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 12:06 PM by Old Dwarf.)
(01-01-2014 07:48 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  
(12-28-2013 12:54 AM)ForestRunner Wrote:  I scored a couple of wargames... I'm happier than a pig in sh#t.

Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 - block wargame by Columbia Games. 4th edition of the publication with stunning mounted map. Have the 3rd edition, but 4th edition absolutely smashes it both in appearance and ruleset. My umpteenth block game!!

I'm interested in this as I got the C&C:N Austrian expansion and love all their Napoleonic stuff. A Waterloo-specific board / wargame would be cool - would you recommend?

Well the Waterloo Block Game mentioned above is a dead on choice,
I have the 1st Ed from Avon Hill (mounted Map & no labels ,the
wood blocks are incised with the troop symbols).This must have
been the 1st commercial block Game & its point to point map
was very different for the time, as was the separate Battle Board,
which gave the feel of Napoleonic warfare.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again: