Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gasoline chain reaction
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2011 04:13 PM by munkymuddface.)
Gasoline chain reaction
Any rules that anyone has seen with gasoline markers causing a chain reaction when they are adjacent to each other?

For example, two gasoline markers are on the board in adjacent spaces. One is hit with a gun an blows up, instantly killing any model in its space, then rolls to hit and kill against adjacent spaces on 3+ (I think that is correct). Would you roll for the gasoline marker in the adjacent space as though it were a model, or would it require a separate roll to hit it?

The ingame situation that made me think of this is the scenario Burn It To The Ground. Since all of your target spawning pits are adjacent to each other, you end up with multiple gasoline markes adjacent to each other.

We played it last night, and late in the game we had 3 markers down 1 spawning pit to go, two gasoline cards amongst the heros, but a mob of zeds waiting for us (three dead heroes at this point too). I was just wondering how viable a tactic it would be to pop off one gasoline marker to clear the room, then run in and replace it and place the fourth marker. Seems lilke a good plan if only one marker pops, but a very counter productive one if they all pop. Just wondering what your opinions are on this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2011, 04:06 PM
RE: Gasoline chain reaction
hmmmm that an interesting idea, I've never had someone have 2 gasolines, but I supposed you could have an in house rule. It makes sense
01-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I can recount out of about 100 games, I've lit gasoline on fire... once. And that was last week just to say I did it. I suppose it would spiral out.
01-22-2011, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2011 07:10 PM by xraine69.)
Quote:We have yet to see this happen, but it would be pretty sweet!

I would say that an exploding Gas Marker should have the chance to set off adjacent Gas Markers on the roll of 3+ (or auto if in the same space). Everybody loves a big explosion.

- Jason

Jason C. Hill
Flying Frog Productions
I found this over at BGG.
01-25-2011, 01:13 AM
That could be pretty sweet, but highly unlikely...
01-25-2011, 04:06 AM
I received the Radioactive Grave Dead supplement a couple days after making this post. There is a actually a note regarding this topic on the rules sheet for the It Fell From the Sky scenario:
Quote:Note that Gas Markers should be treated just like a Zombie for a Ranged Attack that Hits anything in the targeted space. In other words, a Gas Marker may be ignited by a Shotgun, Dynamite, or even another Gas Marker going off (simply roll to Hit the Gas Marker as though it were a Zombie in the space).

My group tends to use the Gas Markers a lot, especially if we come across Gasoline when it is not a scenario search item, OR when it IS a scenario search item AND the Gas Station is on the map.

Just the other night we were playing the Escape in the Truck scenario. The Gas Station was on the board, and Johnny, via dumb luck found two markers via normal searching. Due to some poor movement rolls, he got pinned across the board from the other Heroes with a mob of zeds bearing down on him. Assuming that he was not going to survive the 5 zombie attacks that would come on the following zombie turn, Johnny played the two markers in adjacent squares. Amazingly, he survived the fights and was able to run away on the next Hero turn. Becky popped off the first marker, but only took out one of the four remaing zombies in the square Johnny vacated. Then the second Gas Marker popped and the Heroes had a second chance at them. After all was said and done, only one zombie was left standing after all the explosions were resolved.
01-25-2011, 04:34 AM
I just got that supplement, but haven't got around to reading it yet. Good find.
02-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Although we've never used it, my friends and I say gasoline CAN have a chain reaction, and to boot you can activate it with the flare gun from 5 spaces away.
02-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I played defend the manor house the other day after reading thie thread, and I doused two of the middle squares of the house with gas early in the game. At one point, I would have had a chance to kill about 6 zombies, but I didn't have any firearms to set it off with. I ended up losing, but it would have worked great if I didn't lose my friggin guns.
02-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah, it can be frustrating having the gas markers out, but no way to set them off. I usually hang onto them until I have a way to place them and blow them up in the same turn. But even then, it is not a given. Playing this weekend, I had a character run out and place a marker on a space that would hit around 6 zombies. I then had a Johnny, who had the Hunting Rifle and line of sight spend his move and his range attack trying to hit the damn thing, rolled 2s for each attempt... sigh.

But, in your case, that is a great strategy for Defend the Manor. As the zombies, my buddy always avoids the markers if possible. I will have to remember that for next time we play that scenario.