Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gave this another go..
03-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Gave this another go..
Played last night a team game, three teams of two, against The Vampire.

Game seemed to play pretty slow, which was unfortunate because one of the teams needed to leave before the end of the game. We wound up diminishing the power of the Vampire in order to get the game wrapped up at a decent time.

I, personally, enjoyed it...but I can see I'll be struggling to get folks back to the table again for that one...although my partner in the team game said he was certainly game for me, as he quite liked it as well.

One player just couldn't get into the whole point of going around the board and "investigating", which kinda means the whole premise was lost on her.

By the end of the game, four of the elders were dead, The Magistrate was evil and Lord Hanbrook was quite cowardly and of little help in the fight with the Vampire...but Thomas, The Courier unloaded with his Hunting Rifle, then Victor Danforth unleashed a wicked combo of a a gunpowder keg (an idea he stole from eyewitness reports of Inspector Cooke's and Heinrich Cartwright's intial encounter with the vampire), the Tools of Science (his Cunning was at a 6 at this point) and shattered the Old Carving to deliver the killing blow to the Vampire.

Good times.

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2009, 11:02 PM
RE: Gave this another go..
Interesting,the Team Game is suppose to speed up the game,
but with 6 people its still going to take some time.

I agree if someone doesn't get or isn't interested in the point of
the game your probably down a player.I would love to be
in the position to game AToE with more than my usual opponent.

I've just started a Team Game (haven't tried that before)
using a BGG fan Villian The House with Red Curtains.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Nice Tommy!

yeah I would like to get a team game going as well. But alas I am lucky if I can get 2 more players let alone a full compliment of players. Maybe that will all change if I ever decide to make that 3D board. But I think I will wait until Something Wicked is out before I commit to that task. I have yet to complete the LNOE one.

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
03-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this game. I just can't get the same cinematic feel out of it like I do with LNoE. I never actually feel like what the characters are doing is creating a story. I just feel like I move from place to place, pick up cards every now and then, and then roll dice. There doesn't seem to be any connection between what I'm doing and the plot of the game. I hope that changes when I finally get to play with more people. It may be that the competitive game moves too fast that there's no time to really focus on the atmosphere of the game.
03-12-2009, 12:41 AM
n.....LNoE is a much more tactical game than AToE,so you
feel your in a story by playing.Its like gaming the Battle of Gettysburg vs gaming the Civil War.LNoE/GH is a player
on player game,you have specfic scenarios with clear
objectives so its easy to see it play out as a story.

If you write a Game Session on LNoE it it just flows
the Heros do this & the Zombies do that,very cinematic .

AToE is different its much less structured & basically like
a player vs system Game,much like Arkham Horror.
You have to add a dash of Role Playing to get a cinematic
feeling.Probably you shouldn't even get a cinematic
feel,it should work out like a Novel.The individual
Heros move their Investigation along,select items to help
them in the final showdown & encounter random attacks
from the Villians minions.

Probably I'm responding with more thought than
required:P basically if you like direct combat games
LNoE fills the bill if your more into investigative type
games AToE will float the boat.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
03-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Well I do like investigative type games, it's just that I haven't felt like I've been investigating anything thus far. I don't know if it's because the Shadow Track seems to move very quickly with the Co-op Mystery Chart in effect but I feel like all I'm doing is rushing to make sure I have enough firepower to drop the bad guy. I rarely feel the need, nor see the benefit, of visiting corner locations more than once and usually I don't even get to all the places. Even more, I haven't yet found it necessary to "train" any of my skills in town and, frankly, I didn't have the time to waste to do so. I just wish things actually felt like I was investigating something but so far it hasn't been that way. Although there was one time where events played out in a wonderfully coincidental manner that made the game exciting for a bit, it hasn't happened since.

I know I've only played a few games and I still have a lot more trial to do before I form a final opinion, but right now I'm feeling disappointed by something that should be very exciting to me.
03-16-2009, 04:34 AM
As I am a fan of both styles of game play as OD has explained in the differences of LNOE & ATOE. Both games serve a niche and purpose and help to broaden Flying Frogs game mechanics and styles of games.

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."