Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
GenCon 2013!
07-30-2013, 09:29 PM
GenCon 2013!
Hi All,
I was wondering if any AToE or FFP fans were going to be at GenCon this year. We could do a meet up.

I currently don't own LNOE but I am seriously considering play-testing it there and may buy a copy.

Anyone have any thoughts about LNOE vs AToE?

What are the LNOE must-haves as far as expansions?

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2013, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 01:18 AM by mqstout.)
RE: GenCon 2013!
I am not making it to GenCon this year (I'd gone the previous 3). My friend I usually room with just had a baby, so I have no place to stay. I can't afford a hotel.

I have seen LNOE played at GenCon -- I taught a couple there how to play it that bought it one time when I was just sitting at the open tables. I haven't seen ATOE played in the open though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-31-2013, 11:17 AM
(07-31-2013 01:17 AM)mqstout Wrote:  I taught a couple there how to play it that bought it one time when I was just sitting at the open tables.

Nice! I can totally see that happening.

We got hooked on FFP last year when we stopped at the booth. Joel Flamme demo'd AToE for us one on one and we (my wife and I) knew right there we had to have it. I guess it just happened to be AToE. It could as well have been LNOE first but it didn't work out that way. So we decided to check it out this year.

07-31-2013, 01:10 PM
I've always wanted to go to GenCon, but I really only attend one convention a year, and that's A-Kon in Dallas.

Panning For Clouds - A Writer's Blog containing short stories and writing advice.
07-31-2013, 07:15 PM
(07-30-2013 09:32 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  What are the LNOE must-haves as far as expansions?

Comparing LNOE and ATOE involves a loooong discussion, and I don't have time right now so I'll leave it up to the others to answer.

LNOE must-haves - definitely the base game first, and then Growing Hunger and Hero Pack 1 so that you have all the Heroes. Play that for a while, then if you think you need to add a little more depth then get Survival of the Fittest and/or Timber Peak. Some info on the important things that you'll get per expansion:

Growing Hunger - Dot rule mechanics, 4 Heroes, 2 L-boards, 7 red Zombies, 3 scenarios
Hero Pack 1 - 4 Heroes, 1 scenario
Timber Peak - Experience system, 6 Heroes (3 of them updated versions), 14 Zombies, 4 scenarios
Survival of the Fittest - Survival Tactics, Unique Items, Grave Weapons, 4 Scenarios
08-01-2013, 03:51 AM
(07-30-2013 09:32 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Anyone have any thoughts about LNOE vs AToE?

I prefer to view LNOE and AToE rather than a case of LNOE vs AToE.

I have all there is on offer for both games. Whilst made by the same company/group/people they are very different mechanically, playability, objectively, interactively and ultimately provide different end games.

Maybe I'm the wrong person to offer words on this, but I think it comes down the subjective individual's taste in gaming.

I personally love both games. I find LNOE gets more table time purely on the basis of what my gaming group likes. Popularity if you like? Also bearing in mind Zombies are the "in thing" at the moment be at the movies, TV/DVD, boardgames and video/PC gaming.

(07-30-2013 09:32 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  What are the LNOE must-haves as far as expansions?

All of them! That is seriously my answer, and no doubt am the wrong person to provide input here. Lol.

If on a budget however, I'd recommend the Base Game + Growing Hunger for starters, then see what evolves from that dependent on taste and what you want out of it.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
08-01-2013, 10:56 AM
We do have some members that go to GenCon so you may get some responses on that.

LNoE plays different from AToE-The main difference (well besides theme) is that AToE is
played against the Game System & LNoE is a player vs player Game.

In AtoE you can play co-op, Solo or competitive but in each case the player is not directly
fighting an other player,even in competitive mode the players are simply trying to overcome
the Game System Villain first. LNoE has an active Zombie player vs your Heroes.

IMO LNoE needs Growing Hunger to get the full player experience. Timber Peak provides
a new location & moves the story along, so if you played out LNoE it's a nice refresher.

Have fun at GenCon & bring FFP news.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
08-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks for that OD. I did not understand that about LNOE. I thought they were both "co-op" platforms. I am looking forward to play-testing it out there.

Thanks for the tips on the expansions.

08-01-2013, 08:49 PM
(08-01-2013 03:51 AM)ForestRunner Wrote:  All of them! That is seriously my answer, and no doubt am the wrong person to provide input here. Lol.

Haha - seriously? When we demo'd AToE last year we picked up a copy of the base game there. Within two weeks of being home and playing it we owned ALL the exapnsions and web offerings. Watchmen02
I could be in trouble with LNOE!!

By the way that's like 3 votes for Growing Hunger so far...sounds like a "no brainer". Watchmen02

08-01-2013, 09:43 PM
I moved and merged your threads into Anything Goes.