Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Guaranteed method of how to strip a model in a few easy steps!!!
04-04-2011, 02:03 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 01:52 AM by samuraitrev.)
Guaranteed method of how to strip a model in a few easy steps!!!
Sorry this thread's just about getting old paint off metal miniatures. Got your attention though didn't I?

Learn some tricks the miniature companies would rather you didn't know

This guide is for adults

Don't do this to plastic figures. It will melt them!

Ok as painters we've all got some great miniatures we painted not exactly perfectly. Well some of these are obselete and nearly impossible to get hold of again but don't worry Sam's got your back. Even if the models are still available they don't come for free! Right let's clean 'em up!

1) Take some Nail Varnish Remover from your own supply or go buy some. If you can get Acetone free stuff. Otherwise the fumes won't be good for you. This stuff I use in dirt cheap bottles (about 250mms) is good it costs me about less than £1 a bottle from Superdrug (don't know if you have that shop)
.. If you're using Nail Varnish Remover with Acetone make sure you're using it in a well ventillated area. If I were you I'd wear some of them throw away rubber gloves and protective eyewear is a good idea too. You do not want this stuff splashing in your eyes.
Ok using a jar with a sealable lid throw your guys in and pour in enough nail varnish remover to just cover them and seal up the jar.

2) Leave them for three days. The nail varnish remover will turn colour. Mine turned the colour of tea...

3) Put them in the bathroom sink with hot tap water and washing up liquid and leave them to soak until the water cools.

4) Using an old tooth brush brush the figure all over roughly. In the picture I just gave the model's back a rub to show you how the paint comes off.

5) The odd bit of paint will still remain in deep crevices using a pin or needle just lightly scrape the pockets of remaining paint out.

6) Rinse the models thoroughly in water. This is to remove all trace of nail varnish remover.

This seems like a long process due to waiting. But to do (work wise) takes only minutes.

There you have it models ready to paint. I'm using these guys as variant Grave Weapon Zombies. Pitchfork and Rusty Axe.

Here he is in all his glory

Hope this helps questions/comments welcome
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2011, 05:58 AM
RE: Guaranteed method of how to strip a model in a few easy steps!!!
No bright red bold sentence about "don't do this on plastic figures!!!"?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2011, 10:53 AM
(04-04-2011 05:58 AM)mqstout Wrote:  No bright red bold sentence about "don't do this on plastic figures!!!"?

Good point. Thread updated.

Thank you
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
(04-04-2011 02:03 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I just gave the model's back a rub...

I'll bet you did...
04-04-2011, 04:48 PM
(04-04-2011 12:25 PM)mqstout Wrote:  
(04-04-2011 02:03 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I just gave the model's back a rub...

I'll bet you did...

Lol. I never realised my articles had Freudian slipsWatchmen02
04-04-2011, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 05:09 PM by mqstout.)
I thought that's why you marked "for adults only". I mean, read your subject. "Guaranteed method of how to strip a model in a few easy steps".

Is the jar's liquid reusable?
04-04-2011, 06:33 PM
(04-04-2011 05:08 PM)mqstout Wrote:  I thought that's why you marked "for adults only". I mean, read your subject. "Guaranteed method of how to strip a model in a few easy steps".

Is the jar's liquid reusable?

Haha at least the title was intentional!Watchmen02

The jar's contents are most likely reusable. It's only rare that I do any model stripping (I should get out more). So I usually play discard 'Nail Varnish Remover'
04-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Simple Green works quite as well and is non toxic, therefore you do not have to worry about harsh fumes. I would still recommend gloves though. Great job Samurai, your topics are always informative and enjoyed.Insane20
04-05-2011, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2011 10:46 AM by vikinglad.)
What if I accidentally sprayed waayyy too much varish on my PLASTIC Billy, and want to start all over? Is there anything that can be done?
04-05-2011, 06:16 PM
(04-05-2011 10:46 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  What if I accidentally sprayed waayyy too much varish on my PLASTIC Billy, and want to start all over? Is there anything that can be done?

Email ffp productions and ask them for a replacement. I'm not sure but maybe they'll sell you a solo figure.

As for stripping the paint off plastic models as far as I know it's impossible. Until I found this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP9w6YA3L...re=related I've never tried it and can't recommend it but I thought I'd post...

Hope this helps