Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Guaranteed method of how to strip a model in a few easy steps!!!
04-06-2011, 04:33 PM
RE: Guaranteed method of how to strip a model in a few easy steps!!!
I made the mistake of painting my zombies with oil-based paints first. The damn things wouldn't dry. I can't remember the exact order, but I put them in varnish remover and boiled the figures in water. It worked like a charm and the paint came off.

It sure did surprise the hell out of me though. I figured I'd have a melted plastic blob...

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
(04-06-2011 04:33 PM)Sarku Wrote:  I made the mistake of painting my zombies with oil-based paints first. The damn things wouldn't dry. I can't remember the exact order, but I put them in varnish remover and boiled the figures in water. It worked like a charm and the paint came off.

It sure did surprise the hell out of me though. I figured I'd have a melted plastic blob...

Thank you master! Mine are oil-based also (but I like that). I just may give that a try on my Billy. I will report back if I do (I am painting my new Ash first!). If there is anyone I would want to turn in to a melted plastic blob, its Billy anyway.
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2011, 06:08 PM
I also second the Simple Green advice. That's what I've used on all my miniatures, though the paint must be acrylic and not oil-based. It works like a charm. I use nail polish remover if the paint is a bit more stubborn (like stripping paint off heroclix or horror clix for modding and repainting, though in that case, with plastic miniatures, I have to be very careful not to let them soak too long).
08-17-2011, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2011 06:08 PM by Esturk.)
Triple Simple Green.

It works on plastic minis beautifully.

Get yourself a little tub or jar depending on how big the mini is and fill it up with un-diluted simple green concentrate, pop the mini in (plastic, metal, whatever.) then let it set completely submerged at least 24 hours... pull it out, brush it off with a wire brush or tooth brush. I don't use wire brushes on plastic minis for fear of marring the surface, but most people tell me it's safe. I'm just not willing to take the chance.

Best part is that it doesn't matter if you leave them in longer. I once had a plastic Warhammer Leman Russ tank sitting in a sealed tub of simple green for 2 months because I couldn't get around to stripping it. Eventually pulled it out and brushed it off with a tooth brush, not a single flaw in the mini. It'll dissolve any super-glue on the mini as well, but i've noticed sometimes the super glue can get stubborn and crusty and stay on, then you have to get more extreme and chip it off.

For warhammer players I think simple green is a godsend. All you have to do if find a cheap ebay auction of a badly painted plastic kit, use simple green to strip it, then make out like a proverbial bandit by getting a plastic kit at probably 1/4 of the cost.

Should you wish to get to know me better I suggest you read my bio as it is absolutely true.
08-18-2011, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2011 11:35 AM by samuraitrev.)
Hmm I would like to give that Triple Simple Green a go it seems good stuff for plastics. Does it work on metal figures too?
08-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Hah, sorry, it's actually just Simple Green, I meant I tripled the statement due to gavin seconding it Zombie17

But yeah, it works on metal fine too. My personal experiences with it the paint removes more easily from plastic minis than metal, but it still strips metal just fine. It's tried and true, though... I've stripped atleast 20 or so plastics(mostly vehicles) and about 20 metals with the mehod.

Only once has it disappointed me, and that was trying to strip a hero-clix mini... soaked it for 3 days with absolutely no result trying to get off the factory colors, but i'm guessing it's because of the way they cast them or something.

the scent isn't as strong as varnish removers, break fluids, or any of the other methods i've tried. Personally, I get sick of the smell after a while but not because it's harsh... mostly because it's like a minty pine scent. Your minis will smell good, atleast.

Should you wish to get to know me better I suggest you read my bio as it is absolutely true.
08-18-2011, 06:26 PM
My friend who paints a lot uses Simple Green as his brush wash too.
10-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Is there a way to strip a plastic model?
10-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Look up but two and four posts?
10-05-2011, 11:58 PM
o wow i feel stupid