Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New game burnout?
01-12-2018, 09:33 PM
New game burnout?
Been kind of a long time since I started my own new thread, so I figured what the heck?

Has anybody else ever faced an issue with what I will call "new game burnout?" Let me explain....

I'm not referring to getting burnt out on new games in general.... I'm simply just referring to getting burnt out on being the one to learn the new game yourself. In my experience, if somebody ELSE has taken the liberty to learn the rules and run the game for us, I'm fine with that.

However, for some reason I've just become burnt out on learning any of my own new games. So many games these days come with this God awfully long, like 50 page rule books. I used to not have a problem with that. I'd read through it little by little, learn the game, and be ready to bring it to the table at my gaming group.

These days, I don't know why.... I just can't bring myself to do it anymore. Hopefully that will pass in time, but these days I take one look at these dictionary sized rule books, cringe, and put it right back in the box never to be touched.

As result, I have several new games from KickStarter and stuff and just have not had the patience to actually sit down and learn them. So, I have several games I have yet to play because I am the only one who has them and I just don't have the patience to learn them.

Entirely different for games that don't have such ridiculously long rules. Those I can still learn with little difficulty. But, I've just gotten so burnt out on all the overly long, super complicated rules. Usually, long and involved though they may be, the game is fairly easy to pick up once you get into it.... but I just can't even muster up the motivation to get that far.

Anybody else ever have that experience?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2018, 10:33 PM
RE: New game burnout?
Getting old SP...getting old. I know the feeling. Games with huge rule books I don't buy anymore & the ones
I own like that just don't get played.

As time goes bye I have come to appreciate Games with simple/clear rules that don't bog you down in a mass
of rules.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
01-14-2018, 05:57 PM
I'm always the game learner/teacher. In fact, when someone else tries to teach it, I insist on reading the rules myself (usually PDF downloads nowadays, yay!). Because they always interpret the rules wrong (heh) or didn't read thoroughly.

I can't say I've experienced this. I do have friends who experience, "I don't want to learn a new game, let's play something we already know." Which is fine -- everyone, even me, gets there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-19-2018, 09:17 PM
I mean, the sad thing is I WANT to learn new games. Hell, I want to collect and be the one to learn and bring them to the table.... but I just can't motivate myself to read 50 pages of complex rules anymore. I think you may be right, Dwarf. I'm just becoming a grumpy old man in my still relatively kinda youngish age. LOL!

It's just too much. When the rules are THAT long, I find myself reading a bit and then basically my reaction being "HUH?!?!" So I have to re-read and re-read. Then, there is SO MUCH that even if I do finally get through it all.... If I go too long between reading and playing, or go too long between sessions of the game.... too much of it is lost.

I still can't help but look at Last Night On Earth as a great example of what it SHOULD be. Sure, it's not like it is just a little two page thing that is quick to pick up.... but at least it isn't like 50 pages. Not only that, but LNOE, despite being a decent length of a rulebook, can really be essentially boiled down into one or two pages, with the whole big rule book just needed to clarify a few things here and there.

If your game needs 50 pages of complex rules.... maybe the game is too damned complicated. LOL! But...again....maybe I'm just being a grumpy old curmudgeon here. LOL!