Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Harpoon gun
02-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Harpoon gun
I was thinking of a weapon similar style to flare gun
One use discard
Range 4
Hits on a 2+
But as a bit of a twist you can either do one wound or can pull a zombie back
towards yourself up to 4 spaces.
Sounds pointless but was thinking if another hero is about to be attacked by a zombie hero/champion and is near death you could take him away.
Pull a zombie into fire/Betsy
In hold the line scenario you can pull the enemy back

What do you think
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2014, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 10:11 PM by samuraitrev.)
RE: Harpoon gun
(02-27-2014 09:18 PM)Fizzgaz Wrote:  I was thinking of a weapon similar style to flare gun
One use discard
Range 4
Hits on a 2+
But as a bit of a twist you can either do one wound or can pull a zombie back
towards yourself up to 4 spaces.
Sounds pointless but was thinking if another hero is about to be attacked by a zombie hero/champion and is near death you could take him away.
Pull a zombie into fire/Betsy
In hold the line scenario you can pull the enemy back

What do you think

I like the idea of pulling a Zombie away from something but I'd say if it's going to be a 2+ hit. It would have to be a 1 use only weapon.
02-27-2014, 10:33 PM
Yes that's what I put "one use discard". I see it as a throw away, one off weapon. Also bonus, could use on the cliff face (bitf)
02-28-2014, 07:31 AM
(02-27-2014 10:33 PM)Fizzgaz Wrote:  Yes that's what I put "one use discard". I see it as a throw away, one off weapon. Also bonus, could use on the cliff face (bitf)

Sounds cool. I have been on a roll lately with making cards. Wouldn't mind adding this one to my collection. Write up the final text that should be in the card box, and I'll make an authentic looking card for ya.
02-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Harpoon
Item - ranged weapon - gun
Range - 4
You may target one zombie within range. Wounds on a 2+. Added bonus you can choose to pull the zombie 4 spaces toward you. Can be used to climb. Discard after use
Please feel free to alter wording and thank you.
02-28-2014, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 03:49 PM by sgiove.)
I like the concept but, in my opinion, the added bonus is only necessary for special type zombies that require more than one wound. Once you hit the zombie on the very generous 2+ to hit, most zombies would just be dead so the ability to move it is rather useless.

Also, the Flare Gun is a one-use item that is 2+ to hit. I get that it's easy to wound a zombie with a flare gun because you would assume that no matter where the zombie is hit on his body he would catch on fire.

So this is, by the numbers, a more powerful Flare Gun (same to-hit chance with an added bonus?) I'm finding the use of a harpoon gun to cause lethal damage to a zombie (likely a head shot only?) that easy (2+ to hit). And a range of 4? That's further than all other guns except the rifle. I would think that it would be easier to cause a wound with a shotgun or pistol than it would a harpoon gun. Maybe there could be something to it where the chance to hit is separate to causing a wound (3+ to hit, causes a wound on 5+ but the bonus ability is available as long as the 3+ hit is made)?

Also, last question: are we really talking about a harpoon gun (something mounted to a ship to hunt whales?) or a spear gun (like the weapon used while scuba diving)? I'm just trying to figure out how a player is going to carry an actual harpoon gun around.

Whatever you decide is best for you and your game but I just wanted to reflect the mechanics behind what you have proposed.

Thanks for taking the time to view my thoughts. As someone who is considering adding a "noise" rule, it's always nice to see another "silent" weapon added to the mix.
02-28-2014, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 04:30 PM by Fizzgaz.)
I put the idea on here to get a more rounded weapon as I came up with this at 7.30 this morning in my waking moments and decided to put it on before I forgot. I thought it was still a harpoon gun, but could be wrong as my research amounted to "cool, harpoons can pull things". The 3+ 5+ thing is possibly a better way to do it. The original idea was you can use it for a normal and get an easy kill (even if you miss the head, it inadvertently spears it to a tree leaving it to starve. If you want a reason) but it's a one of shot or use it on a special and pull it away maybe for sacrificial pull it to your square dynamite it) or helping hand reasons (pull it away from other hero leaving it in a zombie hunger situation to another hero).
Love the feed back would love to try both to see what works best

last question: are we really talking about a harpoon gun (something mounted to a ship to hunt whales?) or a spear gun (like the weapon used while scuba diving)? I'm just trying to figure out how a player is going to carry an actual harpoon gun

This is a harpoon gun apparently so a hero could use this as opposed to a 4 tonne ship one
02-28-2014, 09:24 PM
How about this? :-)Watchmen01

Attached File(s) Image(s)

02-28-2014, 09:30 PM
I love it. thank you very much
03-02-2014, 05:37 AM
(02-28-2014 09:30 PM)Fizzgaz Wrote:  I love it. thank you very much

You are welcome. We used it last night and we had to pull a zombie hero away from someone. Works well